infected cysts or abcess(abscess)

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

infected cysts or abcess(abscess)

i went to the doctor for a lump on my back and he said it was an abcess (abscess) another doctor later said it was a infected cyst. just a few drops of pus had come out and i've had it for about 2 months now. it had started to get alittle purple in one corner and all of the sudden it popped and this blood like substance came out.it seemed like it was alittle blood and pus mixed. my husband help me clean it since it's on my back. well he pressed on it and some light yellowish cheese like little balls started to com out. is it bad that he pressed on it until everything came out? and also do you think its an abcess (abscess) or a cyst?
Hi. Thanks for writing in.

An abscess is a localized collection of pus walled off from the rest of the body. It contains pus, which consists of inflammatory cells and decayed tissues. Most abscesses causes local pain and tenderness.
A cyst is a fluid-filled cavity, which can present as an infected skin nodule.
Both abscess and cyst can develop anywhere in the skin covering the body.

Investigations such as X-ray, ultrasound, CT or MRI are required to confirm the diagnosis of a localized swelling.

The treatment is incision and drainage followed by a course of antibiotics. In case of cyst, it is drained and irrigated with a sterile solution. The capsule of the cyst also needs to be removed.

Since your swelling ruptured on its own, it required cleaning and dressing. However, you should still consult your doctor who can then prescribe you some antibiotics, if required.
It would also be better if you mention whether the swelling caused localized pain or not and whether it was warm or tender on touching.  

Regards