Dermatology Expert Forum
ingrown hairs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

ingrown hairs

I am an african-american woman and since the age of 14 I have always had ingrown hairs.  At the age of 19 I am kind of fed up with them is there any way to get rid of them?  I get them especially in my private area and sometimes in my arm pits.
Lindsay:

You don't mention how you remove the hairs now.  Tweezing and plucking leads to ingrown hairs more often that shaving or depilatory creams.  Definitive tretament involves either not shaving at all (probably not what you had in mind) or else permanently thinning or taking off the hair.  You may therefore want to look into electrolysis.  That's my suggestion.

Good luck.

Dr. R
I use sugaring to remove hair from my bikini area. The box always says they hair will be thinner when it grows back and after a while will not grow back at all. I have been doing this for about a year, and lately there have been more and more ingrown hairs! And not to mention just as much hair as there was before. I can't afford electrolisis, and I always thought sugaring was a gentle way to remove hair. What am I doing wrong, and how can I get rid of the ugly and painful ingrown hairs?
I am a fair skined,blonde woman of 30 who has always had ingrown hairs,especially on my legs,to the extent that they get so ithy and irritated that i tweezer then out,THEY MOST OF THE TIME GET INFECTED AND SCAR TO THE POINT THAT MY LEGS ARE NOT A NICE SIGHT ,i HAVE TRYED WAXING ,BUT THE BEAUTICAN said in my case that the hair grows back even finer and cant get out of my skin.
please any advice would help
I HAVE PIMPLES ON MY LEGS. MOSTLY APPEAR AFTER SHAVING. EMBARESSED TO WEAR SHORTS. I FEEL THE NEED TO TRY EVERY HOME REMEDY, NONE HAVE WORKED. WHEN I RE-SHAVE OVER LEGS,I CAUSE LITTLE IRRITATED SORES WHICH HAVE CAUSED SCARS IN AREAS.RULED OUT SCABIES, BUT I'M STILL UNSURE WHAT IT IS. SIMILAR TO FACE & BACK BREAKOUTS. PLEASE, GOING ON 4 YRS, ANY ADVISE WILL BE GREATFUL! OVER THE COUNTER PRODUCTS? WAXING vs SHAVING? LOTIONS?
ARE THE SMALL SCARS TREATABLE?  
I have found that using a loofah and good deodorant soap in the shower every morning, including the morning in which you shave, has helped wonderfully, i rarely get ingrown hairs now. They occur due to clogged pores as you've probably heard, the idea is to use a real good razor, and shaving gel. After slather on a water based lotion, as soon as you get out the shower. And watch for any lotions with oil, although they smell wonderful, ive found they cause more ingrown hairs. Also under the arms, i use deodorant one hour after i shave, due to sensitivity. Following these tips work wonders, for me at least.
I agree with the comment by JLH. Exfoliation is the key. I used a Epilator (machine that pulls hair out) on my legs and got ingrown hairs. Now, I use the Alpha Hydroxy body lotion in the red box (this exfoliates) and I use a antibacterial scrub on my legs (made for acne on the face) Avon Clearskin cleansing scrub three or four times a week. This really works, even my husband noticed how much better my legs feel and look.
Please see my hidradenitis club on Yahoo at: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/hidradenitis
And also visit H.I.D.E. International at: http://webhome.globalserve.net/hidecan/disclaim.html

There are a lot of people working on the web to raise the level of understanding of Hidradenitis.  I hope your site will post current, up to date information about Hidradenitis soon.

The symptoms from the first woman, Lindsay, sounds like Hidradenitis - although she needs to see a doctor to confirm my "hunch."  Did you know that in a survey run by H.I.D.E. results showd that is takes (on the average) over 7 years to finally get diagnosed even when actively seeking medical care?
to the african-american female, my boyfriend is an african american male and has the same problem on his face, we did alot of research about it, and there is a name for it.  Unfortunately it's a really long name that i can't remember, but it is very common in african americans due to the curl pattern in the hair. The hair hits the under side of the skin, curls and starts growin underneith which causes the bump.  I would reccoment that you use something like nair.  We use magic shave for men (I have the same problem on my underarms), but i'm not sure how safe it is near your private area.

Good luck,
Raylynn

I have the worst problem with ingrown hairs on my legs and unfortunately I don't have the will power to just let them be. I know I shouldn't pick but I can't just leave them. Sometimes I will pull hairs out that are an inch in length. I'm going to try some of the advice in this column and let you know how it's going. Anybody else with any good advice
I wonder are this advices help women who had ingrown hair on her legs.

I have been looking for any help in this same area.  This is the first place on any website that I've seen anyone with the same problem I have.  I have had the ingrown hairs on my legs  for over 2 years now.  I was told it was chronic foliculitis (folliculitis) and was given antibiotic and topical ointment.  It didn't work.  I went to  two different dermatologists, why can't they help?
I was wondering if anyone's used Tendskin or the Moore Unique Shave System? I have a really bad condition all over my legs and bikini area. I hate having to cover up my legs because of embarrassment and because they are so sensitive to the sun. If anyone's used these or other products and they didn't work, please post. I'm considering one of those products, but afraid it won't work.
I'm so glad to find other people w/folliculitis!  I can especially relate to the comments of Stephanie and Larissa.  
I am a 28-y.o. female w/fair skin and curly hair, and thus (as I've recently learned) prone to ingrown hairs.  I've always had to be very careful w/the shaving products I use and in the past few years have had luck w/a certain anti-bacterial shower gel, in addition to frequently changing razor blades.  But, of course, i can't find this shower gel anymore (it was Freeman's, i think.)  Other anti-bacterial soaps dry out my fingernails - I can't win!  
In the process of trying other products, including shaving gel (BIG mistake), I started getting bumps on my lower left leg - but nowhere else.  I stopped using the shaving gel right away and have tried many things to treat it, but they won't go away.  It has been 4 months now, and I've having a miserable summer - too embarassed to wear shorts, never mind a bathing suit.  I've tried washing w/acne products and applying salacylic acid, even hydrogen peroxide, to no avail.  Today, I bought some aveno lotion and cream.  If this doesn't work, then I need to see a dermatologist FAST!  But I'm afraid the Dr. won't have any solutions.  So I'm hoping I might find some answers here...
A related discussion, Leg scars from ingriwin hair was started.