Dermatology Expert Forum
ingrown hairs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

ingrown hairs
I went to see my doctor for a physical and I showed her 2 ingrown hairs I have on my bikini line.  She looked at them and told me I would have to wait them out and to not have anything rubbing against them(which would be my undies). I can't go to work everyday without them. I've tried sitting in a bathtub of hot water, but nothing is happening.  I've had these for about 3 months and 4 months and you can't see them to pull them out with tweezers.  Is there some kind of home remedy or medicine that I can put on them to make them come to the surface?  I only found one question in your website, but it did not mention how to treat an ingrown hair.  I've never had one before, so I really have no idea and my doctor was not much help.
I eagerly await your response.

Thank you.
Hydra:

There's not much to do about ingrown hairs except wait them out and don't mess with them.  This can indeed take months, but there really is no way to speed the process.  The undies can stay.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I constantly getingrown hairs all over my legs and arms, some develop into painful pimples.  Is there any way I can prevent ingrown hairs altogether?  They also leave scars all over my legs, they look like little dark pores (I have dark olive skin tone).  It is so bad, that I never work anything but pants.  Please help!!!!
I have this problem from time to time. I've found that using Neosporin cream seems to keep the inflamation from being as uncomfortable. May not work for everyone, but helps me.
Cool, I'm not the only one! I've been dealing with these ingrown hairs for about fifteen years. (I actually have one right now, for about a month.) I have previously gone to the doctor to have them surgically removed. They will inject novicane in the area, and actually remove the area that is festering. Sounds a little scary, but it will heal all the way in about a week. Until you decide to do that, get some gauze pads, 2 x 3 size, and use your undies to hold it in place to cover the pest so your undies don't rub all day. I find this to be very helpful. It dosen't make it go away, but it sure makes things more comfortable. Put some neosporin on the pest once in a while, too. Good luck!