Dermatology Expert Forum
irritation of glans(glands) penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

irritation of glans(glands) penis

I am 27 years old and have a condition that began nearly three weeks ago.  It began with a mild pain just inside the urethra and general awareness of the urethra as a whole, when normally you wouldn
It sounds a lot like balanitis (irritation/eczema of the penis) and not much like anything else.  It certainly doesn't sound like herpes or warts or any other STD. The fact that two physicians haven't seen much out of the ordinary is reassuring.  I don't know why you would get this at the same time as urethritis, because the conditions are unrelated.

I advise simple moisturizing and ignoring the situation.  If it won't let you ignore it, you can consult another doctor, perhaps a dermatologist.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I have the very same...exact symptoms.  I went to a doctor and he said I had a male yeast infection...which another doctor told me was rediculous.  The only sexual contact that I had was oral and it was 9 months before noticing symptoms.  I have a slight burning sensation in the urethra...but it isn't constant.  The glands are also a little pinkish and slightly swollen...usually moreso in the mornings.  It seems to come and go and has been going on for over a year and a half now.  I can't seem to tie it to anything...and it's not necessarily more irritated after sex.  Anyways, if you find out anything, please let me know.
Whatis the etiiology (cause) of blanitis?
From what you have decribed it seems that i have the same problem. A slight burning sensation occurs after i go to the bathroom and it the area that it covers is more red than the rest of the glans (glands). Ive had this for quite some time and i havent been sexually active.
If you find more info about this PLEASE let me know.
Six months ago I was diagnosed as having "non-specific balanitis."

I have had this condition for almost seven years; and I am 34 years old. (I saw a dermatologist regularly over this period, (every few months), but it was not until I sought a second opinion, that I got this aforementioned diagnosis).

The aetiology of this condition was a trauma from the application of a cortico-steroid that was prescribed for atopic dermatitis on my arms and neck; that cleared from my arms and neck almost immediately after application.

The structural damage to the glans (glands) penis is that the spongy tissue is no longer smooth, as it used to be, but is now cracked: including linear parallel ridges over a triangular region on top of the glans (glands), (from my perspective, looking down), including a circular region around the urethra. As well, the glans (glands) is red and inflamed over the region where the linear parallel ridges are and around the urethra, (identically where I applied the aforementioned corto-steriod: Can this be a coincidence?).

I have not engaged in any form of sexual relations since this condition manifested itself. Needless to say, this is a source of considerable grief.

I have been using Protopic 0.03% (8 weeks), Protopic 0.1% (2 weeks), and 1% hydrocortisone mixed with aquaphor, glycerin, and water (6 months); and have seen little improvement.

QUESTION:

Is there reason to be optimistic about recovery? What is the best that can be expected? And, any suggestions for additional, or other, treatment?

QUESTION:

QUESTION: