is this alpoecia areata

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

is this alpoecia areata

Hi my name is kamikav  .
About four months ago my roommate started having bald circles appear on his head.
Over a period of a couple weeks more bald circles started to appear.
He told me he had seen a doctor and was told it was do to stress.
About three month ago I started to lose pigment in a quarter size spot on the left side of my chin it stood out so I shaved my beard.
When the hair on my face started to grow back the spot that had lost its pigment did not grow now it is very smooth and shows no signs of growing back.
I guess my question is could this be some kind of infection that I might have caught from contact within are mutual living area i.e. hair clippers the couch pillows .he is a barber so he would line my beard with the same clippers and should I expect this to spred like his did .

This discussion is related to Bald Spots in Beard.
Tags: areata, spots, face

It would be difficult to assess without having a look at the lesions. There are many conditions that can result in localized hair loss such as alopecia areata, scarring alopecia, infections like ringworm, folliculitis, piedra, seborrheic dermatitis and folliculitis.

Alopecia areata is a genetic condition which causes sudden round bald patches on the scalp/ beard along with inflammation of the roots of the hair follicles. However, the hair follicles are not destroyed and hair growth continues after inflammation subsides. The commonest site for alopecia areata is the scalp, but frequently the beard area in men is affected. It can affect a single area or multiple areas. The bald skin is smooth and soft, and small broken hairs may be seen at the edge of the patch. Any age group can be affected.

You should consult a dermatologist for a complete evaluation and proper diagnosis. Sometimes a skin biopsy is conducted to confirm the diagnosis. Do write in if you need more information.

Take care

i noticed about a month ago a tiny smooth itchy bald spot on the front of the hair , now i have more of them dotted around my head what could this be?