itching arm

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itching arm

About two weeks ago, my right arm started itching.  I have had this flare up in the past and it usually affects one arm or the other but never at the same time and the itching seems to be in one area of my arm anywhere from my upper arm to my wrist.  I did go to the dr. and he prescribed Zyrtec and told me to use Benedryl cream.  I have been taking the Zyrtec and using the cream, but it is not helping at all.  My arm is itching pretty much all day, but it seems to get worse at night when I go to bed which is now causing me to lose sleep.  I have been feeling stressed for the last six to eight months and I'm pretty sure the itching is due to that, but why did it just come on out of the blue and what can I do to make it go away.  
I also have itching that started on my left arm about two weeks ago.  It comes and goes but seems to get worse at night.  The blog that people have shared has helped alot.  I am not alone.  The demotologist looked at it yesterday and didn't say much at all.  I use lidocaine liquid left over from my teeth work, also Hydrocortisone cream which the Doc said to keep using.  I keep thinking it's environmental?  I live by a freeway, but have since 96, also have a cat that I have had for three years now.  Someone said in blog it's nerves, well I am going to try meditation and peaceful thinking, maybe it will work.  Also it started about 3 days after my flu shot?  Any of these things fit your situation?  
Correction, it's my left arm and that is the worst.  Also right arm, but not as bad.
You know...I seem to have the same issue...typicaly at or near my elbow it arm will begin to itch...OCCASIONALLY forming little bumps...at first I thought it might be stress causing it...which lead me to believe it may be some form of shingles...then I noticed with enough scratching that it would literally spread...I've attempted to deal with the incredible desire to scratch it by washing the area with alcohol...it helps some...now I'm wondering if it isn;t a form or case of MSRA, but at the same time does not resemble anything as to what MSRA has been described...it seems to come and go...but is always typically in the same places...very strange..I hope you get an answer with some definitive help...good luck.
I seemingly have the same issue. Mine, like Nuerotic1, its around my elbow. Its start with little bumps and is itchy, after about a week or so, it will kind of go away, but then will appear on my other am by my elbow. I have tried alcohol as well, only relieves itching a little bit. I have this cream the doctor gave me for itching and sometimes it works, now I think it works only for the itching. I also get these little tiny bumps on the tops of my hands, itch and go away pretty quickly. The main problem with my situation is I also get them on my legs, itchy bumps in patches. I have been to a few doctors and no one can figure it out. I take a prescribed clainex for itching, but what are the bumps, why are they itching and red. This is an interesting ordeal and will continue to see a dermatologist, but I have even spend money on a biopsy and was told the one on the top of my hand was a mucus membrane ??? No sens
I so have the same symptoms as you. Persistent itching arm on my right - forearm and shoulder and on occasion, my left shoulder. My regular dr. suggested taking a Clariton everyday thinking it was maybe allergy related. After a few days of taking it, the itching came back. Mine, too, starts in the evening. I even wake up in the middle of the night because the itching is so bad. My dr. suggested I see a dermatologist which I did today. She thinks it might be nerve related. I have no rash. She thought maybe a bone spur might be scratching my spinal cord causing the itching pattern. I also work out a lot and weight train. She thinks maybe the weight training has caused the itching. I'm going to stop lifting weights for a week. Interesting enough, on Friday and Saturdays when I don't lift, the itching is barely there. My brother is a dr. and suggests having a skin biopsy done for allergies before going the neurological route. I'll do anything. These severe itching episodes are driving me crazy. I also think the itching could be caused by heat. When I wear long sleeves and go into a warm room, building, my arm flares up and itches right away. I'll keep you posted. The derm gave me a perscription for Novacort gel. This should relieve symptoms but not cure the problem. She wants me to let her know what I found out if I decide to take the neurology route.
I wouldn't be surprised if you have keratosis pilaris..
I have the same symptoms and I'm pretty sure
that that's what I have..
I had the same itching problem with my right arm a few years ago when I was going through a divorce after a 32 year marriage. I thought I was losing my mind. I caught myself scratching my arm with anything I could find to relieve it but it only made it worse. I scratched til my arm had sores and bled.  I went to a dermatologist who found nothing wrong, told me it was probably stress, gave me creams, and told me to use benadryl. Then it suddenly went away. I chalked it up to stress. Now seven years later it is back in full. Itching so badly, mainly at night, that I can't sleep. I feel like folks don't believe me. I try not to scratch but it is unbearable and the more I scratch the more it itches. I get the bumps too. Mine is from my wrist to my elbow on my right arm. I too am wondering if it has anything to do with nerves. My sister has Shingles and tells me that it affects her nerve endings. I plan to check back here to see if anyone else has any "cures".
i have the same severe itching on my arms as these other people on this forum.  can high prolactin levels cause such an itch
I too have the itching of my arms and found that summitting the body part in real hot water will give some relief, thank God.
I have been going crazy with arm and back of neck itch, especially at night...The constant itching causes me to feel anxious....I instinctively feel that it is related to the immune system....Do I see an allergist or a dermatologist?
I can't believe so many have what I have. Mine starts at my right shoulder and goes down arm with two very sensitive areas. It pinches and burns and itches like crazy. Nightime it gets severe.  I find relief by putting icepacks over it.  That really calms it down, but I would like to know what it is.  Marjie777
I put up a blog. A doctor answered me, but unfortunately NOT to my question.
I have this itch on my left arm. It gets worse at night and when I scratch. An ice pack seems to help. Then it goes away for months and I think,,,, well, thank goodness. BUT it comes back without warning. There are no bumps or anything. Not even redness. Just VERY itchy skin.
I have the same problem with my left forearm.Cold running water.Not nice to get out of bed but,i have found no other cure.Maybe i,ll try the ice pack.
Hi everyone,
I couldn't help but see another thread on this forum about itchy arms or Brachioradial Pruritus. There's many of us who have it....I'm sure there are many different reasons to have itchy arms, but those of us with actual Brachioradial Pruritus have found a common theme....more than likely some kind of degenerative change or damage to the cervical spine (neck) particularly C4-C6. I would suggest starting there...if there is no visible rash, the itch is agonizing to where you want to cut your arms off, gets worse if you scratch it, apply heat or are in the sun or is worse at night, doesn't seem to respond to itch lotions or creams, responds well if you apply ice packs, it's possibly BRP. Have a doctor xray your neck and check for narrowing of the disc space.....if that appears to be the case, try to get an MRI of the neck with specific attention to C5-C6. Then proceed with an EMG to check for denervation at those same levels. Come on over to the "itchy arms=Brachioradial Pruritus" thread on this same forum....most of us gather there to listen and offer support for one another. Good luck and take care!!
Relief for itchy arms: I've had itchy arms for several years in the winter, but last year (2009) nothing worked to ease it. I been told it's everything from eczema to stress to nerve damage. I tried prescription steroid creams, moisturizing lotions of all kinds, etc. I could barely work or sleep from December to May. Ice packs and aloe with lidocaine helped some, but had to be constantly reapplied. The dermatologist was little help.. Anyway, when I started to itch this past fall, I happened upon a suggestion in a blog for witch hazel. It is an astringent, so seems counter-intuitive, but since it only costs around $2, I thought I might as well try it. To my amazement, it works. If I start feeling that prickly sensation, I dab it on my arms with a cotton ball once or twice a day, as needed. It leaves no residue and doesn't seem to dry out my skin. I can hardly believe it myself, but I can function normally, and don't even think about my arms. What a relief! When I researched it further I learned it is sometimes recommended for chicken pox and even the itch and skin pain of ALS patients. I can't explain why it works, I just know it does for me.  Sometimes the simplest remedy is the best.
Right now my left arm is good. No itch no nothing. It usually seems to back off in the winter. Now I have tried accupuncture. That seemed to help. This chinese medicine practiconer also told me to try and keep my arm straight instead of beding it at night. I assume it has something to do with circulation.
Before that I pretty much tried everything that people have listed. The good old ice pack, wrapped around my arm ( pretty much limited to elbow area ) seemed to help the most. After a couple of nights you get used to it.
Bottom line is......  a lot of people have this problem, but not one doc, dermatologist etc has an answer.
Has anyone tried Desrtdove's suggestion getting your spine checked?
I have had the same problem going on 3 years. It runs between April to September. It is so severe at night that I barely get any sleep. I have tried the ice packs at night too. Once they are numb, I can go back to sleep. My first year to the dermetologist diagnosed me with scabies, but they are contageous and noone else in my family had them and I share my bed. The next year, I went to another dermetologist and they said it was skin allergies. And now, here I am again, my third year, back on the computer looking for answers. I would love to know what is going on with everyone who is suffering with this. What is it, what causes it, and what cures it?
Hi all...I found this forum whilst searching for a solution for my itching arm.....I honestly thought I was going mad, so in some respects, I am just happy to be reasured about my sanity!
I have tried the witchhazel suggestion above, and I do get temporary relief, but the only thing that gives any real relief, especially during thr night, is a reusable gel ice pack. This has been a lifesaver, as it does not get wet in any way, so I am able to go back to sleep with my arm laid on the gel pack.
I can trace the start of my itching to a severe bout of sunburn, so I wonder if this is connected?
I too have terrible itching arms, both of them from my wrist to my elbow.  I have had the problem ongoing for about 8 years now and first thought it was due to going through the menopause.  I do live in a warmer climate than the UK so that probably doesn't help either.  My itching usually starts around end August and lasts about 6-8 weeks and then goes away until the next year.  It is driving me mad at the moment.  I did go to a skin specialist a few years ago and he said it was due to sun damage although I wasn't to convinced by him as I don't really sunbathe.  He gave me some lotion which didn't really work.  I find that putting an ice pack on the itching does numb it for a while, at night it is pretty bad so I tend to put calamine lotion on before I go do bed to dry it up as if I scratch my arms start bleeding.  Roll on the cooler weather!!
I have the deep intense severe itching you are all talking about.  Mine is on my arms (sometimes one, then the other), from the elbow to the shoulder.  I have tried numerous prescriptions and over the counter creams, lotions and ointments to avail.  I have been given prescrption drugs and now have Tardive Dyskinesia from overdosing and still have the itching.  It is so severe that is about drives you crazy.  I have had all kinds of tests, been to family doctors, allergists, neurologist and no one can find the cure.  I have to use the ice packs also.
Its 3am & I'm up because of severe itching. My arms from elbows to shoulders itch. Mine seems to be only during the summer months. I will try the ice & witch hazel & see if it works. I leave by the beach & keep thinking is it a forum of skin cancer?
Over the last 6 weeks I have been suffering the itchy arm problem, it is nearly always my right arm, normally any place between my lower shoulder & wrist, normally in the evening, sometimes during the day. I have been woken up by it also. I experienced this some years ago when I was taking Premarin HRT), but Eurax normally cured the problem, & it was only occasionally & it seemed to disappear when I stopped HRT, but this time the only relief I can get is a flexible ice pack. I was in a restaurant last night and had to go to the cloakroon & run my arm under cold water, this did help. My doctor has sent me for blood tests, but I am not sure what he knows what he is looking for, he seemed a bit baffled when I consulted  him recently. As it seems such a common problem, why doesn't any one know what causes it.
Looks like we are all having the same issues.. My Right or Left arm will start ichcing out of no were. Most of the time its my Right arm  and it will wake me up at night.

Now knowing we all have the same problem my question is:
What was your age when it started?  Mine started when I was around 40 and I still have it going and coming at age 61.

I have not tried the ice but I do use vasiline and it works but I have to put it on just after a shower and before I go to bed.  If you get an itch rub it with you other arm..  DONT scratch it with your fingers.  You can rub it hard enough to slow or stop the itch. I found when you use your finger, you'll get a lump and or it'll start to bleed.

I hope this helps and God if anyone finds a real fix please come back and post it so we can all sleep..

I am 53 and my upper arm (from elbow to shoulder area) on right arm predominantly began last year, mostly during my sleep, although I have had some "itching attacks" during the day. At first I thought it was related to a previous sunburn, but when I mentionned it to my sister, she was shocked to hear about it because she has had the same problem--intense itching on her upper arms that wake her up at night. I am on hormones for post menopausal symptoms and in excellent health, but she is not on any medication and is 48 also in excellent health.
The good news is that I have found relief with Bacitracin antibiotic ointment--not anti-itch creams. Rubbing a generous portion of antibotic (antibiotic) ointment (not cream) with my fingertips over the area (don't scratch with fingernails) stops the itching. I think I've also used a generic brand of antibiotic ointment in the past and it has also worked. I am also going to try Biofreeze Gel, which was recommended by another person. I'll let you know if I get positive results.
i have the same symptoms of my arms itching, strangely more at night.
Two temporary relievers for you.  Apply some Vicks Mentholatum direct and wait 10 minutes. or Ice packs. helps for a while. Haven't found the cure for a long term fix yet.
Witch hazel works wonders for BRP.  One caveat - better to use Thayer's Witch Hazel NON-alchohol, formula with Aloe Vera. Witch Hazel is anti-inflammatory, non staining and dries quickly when applied to your skin.  Put it in a spray bottle or just pour a small amount in your palm and apply it to your arms.  I apply several layers then wait for it to dry. I use it before bed, even if I'm not itching at the time, and after each shower.  Thayers brand also has other formulas, like Peach and Aloe with alchohol but only 10% as opposed to the 14% usually seen in the cheap store brands.  Also, Thayers is NOT distilled, like Dickensons' and others, which makes it more potent and thus, more effective.  Vita Cost has 12 oz bottles for about $6.00 and they also have a non-alchohol toner with rose petal and vitamin E.  Try it. Better than taking medications that may end up producing unwanted reactions.
i have suffered the same itchy arm symptoms as you all.starts with intense itch then becomes unbearable and develops tiny patches after scratching.i have scratched to the point of bleeding more than once.no help from creams or doctors,only temporary relief from ice.sound familiar?at least while briefly researching online i found your blog and at least was not alone.here is some hope for you all! while visiting my parents for the holidays my mother gave me some anti itch cream samples that have answered my prayers.its only been two weeks but so far has worked.the name is SARNA anti itch cream by stiefel laboratories.please try it and i hope you get the relief i have       lloyd
Hey, I am a 49 yr old woman, in good health, have had 3 healthy children, all natural, no drugs, and have never been hospitalized for anything other than childbirth.  Never broke a bone or was in a car accident. In the begining of sumer 2009, I was planting some flowers, mums, etc.  That was on a Friday.  On Saturday I attended a cook out with friends, mostly outside in their back yard, which was not "woodsy".  The next day I attended a highschool gratuation at a friend's house in Pennsylvania.  They have 2 large dogs who shed badly.  Anyway, Monday morning I wake up and I have just a few red dots on my upper thighs and more on my upper arms on both. The few spots on my upper thighs itched, but not that bad, and healed quickly.  The spots on my upper arms were a freakin nightmare! I itched until they were bloody sores.  No one understood. My boyfriend said I was "gross".  I went to my doctor 2x who treated me for lice, and then chiggers, which only made it worse.  I finally went to a a Dermatologist, and they had no idea what is was.  They gave me some steroid cream and told me to get some Cerva creme.  After 2 months on the creme, the itching stopped and I thought I was good to go, except for all the little white spots on my arm which make me look like a lephr.  But, this October, it came back on my right arm, just below shoulder and above the elbow.  The itching is so intense and the pain sensations that occur some time are unabareable.  Like someone is sticking  a hot fire poke right into your nerve.  I found a website tonigh where a whole bunch of people like us talk about this ****.  Really, I am miserable.  I do love the sun, and always have since early childhood.  We were middle class family, Mom didn't work, 5 polish catholic children, and Dad worked at American Can Company in Canton.   Needless to say, but by October, I had relief.  It had cost me like $$250  in doctors visits, then I had to pay for the prescriptions.  Makes me sick.  I went to 3 Doctor's appt.'s, and no one could help me.   I was in a highly stressed job at the time, working long hrs, and being miserable.  I also drinked almost everynight when I got home, vodka and crystal light, 2 drinks usually.  So, I am a very concenious woman, and grew up going on vacation every year. one week to Ocean City,MD, and one week to a shore home on the Magothy River where we could fish, crab, and swim.  So I find this site tonight, and maybe you have to since you posted this, called www.skinsight.com, and the best one was www.drbaileyskincare.com.  She has a great article for our condition which is called BRACHIORDIAL PRURITUS.  Google it, you will be amazed.  People have been having same issues for years, and have gone undiagnosed!
Another theory behind the itchy arm syndrome can be found here. For those of us with bad backs it is an interesting thought. I once had to go through 6 months of intense therapy because of a loss of feeling in my arm caused by my vertebrae being misaligned and many years of driving a truck causing it to have crushed discs.

http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog/a-new-explanation-for-intensely-itchy-arms/
A few years ago, I had a very small,  intensely itchy spot on my arm.  At first the spot didn't look different from the rest of my skin, but after a while it got red because I scratched it all the time.  After a few weeks of unsuccessfully trying everything to relieve the itching I went to a dermatologist.  She did a biopsy on the itchy spot, but did not find anything unusual.  However as the small wound of the biopsy site healed, the itch went away.  So I figured whatever was causing the itch was removed by the biopsy.  About a year later a similar itchy spot appeared in another place on my arm. After a few weeks of suffering, I had the idea to remove the itchy spot myself by using a liquid nitrogen wart freezing kit.  The procedure is simple and doesn't hurt much, but it does leave a small  circle of dead, frost-bitten skin that turns into a wound when the skin comes off.  As the wound healed, the itch went away.   I have since developed one or two spots each year, which I cure in the same fashion.  It always works for me.   Hope it works for you.  
I feel like i am going crazy! My right arm only itches (feels like something is biting me) on the top of my arm only, from my wrist to my elbow and occasionly my right shoulder but not nearly as bad as my arm. I have had this in the past maybe about 3 or 4 times over the last 5 years maybe.I haven't kept track in the past when it starts or for how long i have it, but this time it started in October and i have had it for about 3 weeks now, it seems to be worse at night but some days it does affect me during the day. I have used Benadryl gel which does give it some relief, but I WANT IT TO GO AWAY PERMANATELY! Or at least KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?
I have been a sufferer of the itchy arm syndrome, I call it because cant get a diagnosis for it, for about  8 years, as like everyone else the same symptoms. I to have been to many doctors, have had 2 MRI on my neck, been to a neurologist , can't find nothing, my neck bone has been numb for years and when I run my fingers across the bone feels like electrical shock and really hurts, yet they say nothing wrong with neck. My itching,as with many of you, comes and goes with no warning, and when it hits it lasts up to 6 months. Ice packs are my only relief, I have made homemade arm bands to hold the ice packs in place so I can sleep. There is nothing in my life style that changes for example, don't eat any different, don't change or start different meds. Etc. My episodes usually flare up in the winter months but also has happened in the spring and summer. I to believe it is neck or back issues, nerves, etc. problem is doctors don't get it. As many I don't have health insurance and can't afford to go to the doctor as much as needed to try to get an answer. Not sure if I would go even if I could because as it appears many of you are going and still the doctors are ignorant to it all. I will try some of the things you all have listed for relief so I can get through this episode, I know it will just stop again for awhile until the next time. My sister also suffers from this irritation and has many neck and back problems. For me this does progress and gets worse, use to be just between my shoulder and elbow but now a little in my wrist. Also forgot to mention the itch is also in my face,chest, scalp, even my eyebrows, it hit fast and severe so I also want to rip my face off along with my arms. I really hope we all can find some relief for this or a cure.
wow this is going to make me crazy go back to the dr tomorrow  and no joke if what i get dont help i am going to torch my arm i played chicken with a cig we let it burn down all the way between are arms as a teen so i can take a burn and would rather have some short lived pain and a little scar then never sleep  im going to burn this mad itch away no joke its making me nutz  
I have the same thing and have hade for a few years.  Comes and goes every few months (spring/summer)and as with most really starts up at night.  I too found ice packs about the only thing that helps.  I had Shingles a couple years back..Had never heard of it before. But as a baby boomer 52" I had chicken poxs. (also a nerve/itching thing)and we all see the ads  now for shots.  So my Dr advised me to get shingles shot.  Gona a give it a try...Pox its like herpes (which I never had) but stays with you forever with only occasional flare ups.
I am almost in tears reading all your testimonies about your "itchy" arms. I thought I was going crazy! I am on my third bout with this sh@# and I don't know what to do. I have been to every Dr. also where nothing was found and one Dr. almost acted as if I WAS crazy. This time is the worst it has ever been though. Just like you guys, it usually starts in the evening, with an ice bag I used to be able to get it to let up by the time I wanted to sleep. NOW, however, it wakes me up in the middle of the night and has iterally made me do some things that make me question my own sanity. I have tried some of the weirdest concoctions on my arm in the middle of the night, just hoping that I might stumble upon THE right combination of ingredients. Anytime I do seem to find something that seems to work it only works the first or second time I apply it and then it doesn't help at all. Short of cutting the skin off my arm, which I have wanted to do, I am GOING CRAZY!!!! Again, thank you so much for our posts though, at least I know that I'm not alone!
For a long time, and only at certain time did I experience shoulder itching to the point that ice packs would relieve the itching for a while.  However, I began looking at the medications I was taking and when I left off a Colon cleanse over the counter brand, it stopped.  Since I have not taken it, I have had no more itching on my shoulders at all.......Hoping this may help those that haven't recognized it could be something they are taking over the counter.
My right arm, between my wrist and elbow, has been itching for a few weeks. I've had sciatica on & off since June. An x-ray showed narrowing of discs, bone spurs and some scoliosis. I googled itchy arm and was amazed to find it may be connected to narrowing discs, and so many other people are experiencing it. I'll give all of your suggestions a try
I share all of your suffering. I don't think I have slept thru the night in the past two months. Had a series of back/neck x-rays last week. Going back to the Dr. next week to discuss. He thinks it is my C5 nerve. My neck has been hurting quite a bit lately. Had a nasty back spasm about a month ago and my dr. gave me Vicodin and Metaxalone (muscle relaxant). I take one or both pills on particularly bad nights. But I'm usually up by 2 am... and most nights I maybe fall back asleep for an hour at most. I seem to be running on about 4 to 5 hours sleep each night. I'm not a proponent of medicating with such strong pharm... but at this point, I need sleep. Even if it is only for a few hours at a time.

As most of the previous comments have stated, ice therapy seems to be the best relief. I went to the dermatologist a year ago when I had my last flare up. Derm seemed pretty incredulous about it, as there was no visible skin damage. Gave me steroid cream which only made my arm scream louder. Eventually it went away after about two months, but then started up again in late September, mildly at first, but now it is unbearable. Short of amputation, I haven't found a long-term solution. But I will try the witch hazel. Anything at this point.
Hi, same thing here guys.  It's 4:00 in the morning and it's gone away enough I think I can go back to bed.  Is there anything we all might have in common?  My wife thought it might be from handling fire wood.  I shrugged it off at the time, but she might have something.  It's my right forearm that itches and that's the one that gets most of the heat when I'm loading the stove.  Is anyone else exposed to heat on a regular basis?  Or, maybe it's an allergy to something on the wood.  
I remember this site from a few years ago and had to come here to tell . I have had this same problem since 2008 ,The more I scratch my arm near the elbow the more it itches......its makes you want to jump out of your skin! I have tried anything and everything! Please listen to what I done the other night and haven't itched since!
CLOROX Disinfecting Wipes! I went to clean my computer desk and was itching so bad I started to wipe my arm , all a sudden the itching stopped! The next day I laid another wet Clorox wipe on my arm a min for good measure. I swear It hasn't itched over a week since I have done this! Please Please try this and let me know if it has worked for you to!
Hi Frost
     I had the same thing for like six years . Please try it and tell me I am not crazy. I have not itched for a week now and its the first time in years.
    It sounds crazy but try wiping the area on your arm with Clorox disinfecting wipes. The itch stopped instantly. Please let me know if it works for you I am sure it will.

Regards
I too am a sufferer of this night arm itching for the last two years. So again it is 4:00 in the morning and I have itched my arms raw so while I continue my love affair with my gel packs, I thought I would see if anyone had anymore information to try.   I was visiting my daughter last year and her hubby who is a Doc. saw my arms, I have red blotches from all the vigorous scratching which break the blood vessels. He jumped into finding what was causing all the itching.  This is what he came up with...  It is cause by too much sun that has damaged your nerve endings. The information he found on it said that there were no cures or remedies. The only thing that he suggested was cold packs and long sleeve shirts when out in the sun  I have been a gardener for the last 20 years and have spent countless hours in the sun. it has a medical name but right now I cant remember it, but I will ask him again and post it later. good luck to all.      
I have also suffered with this. For me it  has always been on the arm that is on the mattress most. I sleep mainly on my right side since I'm left handed, and I like to have my left hand more available. I've done so much research on this, as it makes me feel I'm going crazy. The itching gets so intense, I've woken myself by itching. It's definitely worse at night, or only at night. I've tried Apple cider vinegar, rubbing alcohol, itch creams and allergy pills, etc... Some provided temporary relief but the itching always returned. Then I found in my online research, the culprit.         It was Scabies. Anyone can catch it, despite how clean you are. They are microscopic mites we can't see with the naked eye and live off human blood. They lay eggs in one main area (our arm, neck, etc, in an area that will stay warm). It's the eggs that cause the itching due to our bodies allergic reaction to the eggs and excrement of Scabies. Due your research, and/or speak to your Doctor, as there are specific tests to check for and diagnose Scabies. There is only one known cure that's medically accepted: Permathryn Cream 5%. You must follow specific instructions for getting rid of Scabies, both in yourself and your home. Do the research. It's worth it. I am now, finally, itch free. Good luck to you all.