itching arm
About two weeks ago, my right arm started itching.  I have had this flare up in the past and it usually affects one arm or the other but never at the same time and the itching seems to be in one area of my arm anywhere from my upper arm to my wrist.  I did go to the dr. and he prescribed Zyrtec and told me to use Benedryl cream.  I have been taking the Zyrtec and using the cream, but it is not helping at all.  My arm is itching pretty much all day, but it seems to get worse at night when I go to bed which is now causing me to lose sleep.  I have been feeling stressed for the last six to eight months and I'm pretty sure the itching is due to that, but why did it just come on out of the blue and what can I do to make it go away.  
Its 3am & I'm up because of severe itching. My arms from elbows to shoulders itch. Mine seems to be only during the summer months. I will try the ice & witch hazel & see if it works. I leave by the beach & keep thinking is it a forum of skin cancer?
Over the last 6 weeks I have been suffering the itchy arm problem, it is nearly always my right arm, normally any place between my lower shoulder & wrist, normally in the evening, sometimes during the day. I have been woken up by it also. I experienced this some years ago when I was taking Premarin HRT), but Eurax normally cured the problem, & it was only occasionally & it seemed to disappear when I stopped HRT, but this time the only relief I can get is a flexible ice pack. I was in a restaurant last night and had to go to the cloakroon & run my arm under cold water, this did help. My doctor has sent me for blood tests, but I am not sure what he knows what he is looking for, he seemed a bit baffled when I consulted  him recently. As it seems such a common problem, why doesn't any one know what causes it.
Looks like we are all having the same issues.. My Right or Left arm will start ichcing out of no were. Most of the time its my Right arm  and it will wake me up at night.

Now knowing we all have the same problem my question is:
What was your age when it started?  Mine started when I was around 40 and I still have it going and coming at age 61.

I have not tried the ice but I do use vasiline and it works but I have to put it on just after a shower and before I go to bed.  If you get an itch rub it with you other arm..  DONT scratch it with your fingers.  You can rub it hard enough to slow or stop the itch. I found when you use your finger, you'll get a lump and or it'll start to bleed.

I hope this helps and God if anyone finds a real fix please come back and post it so we can all sleep..

I am 53 and my upper arm (from elbow to shoulder area) on right arm predominantly began last year, mostly during my sleep, although I have had some "itching attacks" during the day. At first I thought it was related to a previous sunburn, but when I mentionned it to my sister, she was shocked to hear about it because she has had the same problem--intense itching on her upper arms that wake her up at night. I am on hormones for post menopausal symptoms and in excellent health, but she is not on any medication and is 48 also in excellent health.
The good news is that I have found relief with Bacitracin antibiotic ointment--not anti-itch creams. Rubbing a generous portion of antibotic ointment (not cream) with my fingertips over the area (don't scratch with fingernails) stops the itching. I think I've also used a generic brand of antibiotic ointment in the past and it has also worked. I am also going to try Biofreeze Gel, which was recommended by another person. I'll let you know if I get positive results.
i have the same symptoms of my arms itching, strangely more at night.
Two temporary relievers for you.  Apply some Vicks Mentholatum direct and wait 10 minutes. or Ice packs. helps for a while. Haven't found the cure for a long term fix yet.
Witch hazel works wonders for BRP.  One caveat - better to use Thayer's Witch Hazel NON-alchohol, formula with Aloe Vera. Witch Hazel is anti-inflammatory, non staining and dries quickly when applied to your skin.  Put it in a spray bottle or just pour a small amount in your palm and apply it to your arms.  I apply several layers then wait for it to dry. I use it before bed, even if I'm not itching at the time, and after each shower.  Thayers brand also has other formulas, like Peach and Aloe with alchohol but only 10% as opposed to the 14% usually seen in the cheap store brands.  Also, Thayers is NOT distilled, like Dickensons' and others, which makes it more potent and thus, more effective.  Vita Cost has 12 oz bottles for about $6.00 and they also have a non-alchohol toner with rose petal and vitamin E.  Try it. Better than taking medications that may end up producing unwanted reactions.
i have suffered the same itchy arm symptoms as you all.starts with intense itch then becomes unbearable and develops tiny patches after scratching.i have scratched to the point of bleeding more than once.no help from creams or doctors,only temporary relief from ice.sound familiar?at least while briefly researching online i found your blog and at least was not alone.here is some hope for you all! while visiting my parents for the holidays my mother gave me some anti itch cream samples that have answered my prayers.its only been two weeks but so far has worked.the name is SARNA anti itch cream by stiefel laboratories.please try it and i hope you get the relief i have       lloyd
Hey, I am a 49 yr old woman, in good health, have had 3 healthy children, all natural, no drugs, and have never been hospitalized for anything other than childbirth.  Never broke a bone or was in a car accident. In the begining of sumer 2009, I was planting some flowers, mums, etc.  That was on a Friday.  On Saturday I attended a cook out with friends, mostly outside in their back yard, which was not "woodsy".  The next day I attended a highschool gratuation at a friend's house in Pennsylvania.  They have 2 large dogs who shed badly.  Anyway, Monday morning I wake up and I have just a few red dots on my upper thighs and more on my upper arms on both. The few spots on my upper thighs itched, but not that bad, and healed quickly.  The spots on my upper arms were a freakin nightmare! I itched until they were bloody sores.  No one understood. My boyfriend said I was "gross".  I went to my doctor 2x who treated me for lice, and then chiggers, which only made it worse.  I finally went to a a Dermatologist, and they had no idea what is was.  They gave me some steroid cream and told me to get some Cerva creme.  After 2 months on the creme, the itching stopped and I thought I was good to go, except for all the little white spots on my arm which make me look like a lephr.  But, this October, it came back on my right arm, just below shoulder and above the elbow.  The itching is so intense and the pain sensations that occur some time are unabareable.  Like someone is sticking  a hot fire poke right into your nerve.  I found a website tonigh where a whole bunch of people like us talk about this ****.  Really, I am miserable.  I do love the sun, and always have since early childhood.  We were middle class family, Mom didn't work, 5 polish catholic children, and Dad worked at American Can Company in Canton.   Needless to say, but by October, I had relief.  It had cost me like $$250  in doctors visits, then I had to pay for the prescriptions.  Makes me sick.  I went to 3 Doctor's appt.'s, and no one could help me.   I was in a highly stressed job at the time, working long hrs, and being miserable.  I also drinked almost everynight when I got home, vodka and crystal light, 2 drinks usually.  So, I am a very concenious woman, and grew up going on vacation every year. one week to Ocean City,MD, and one week to a shore home on the Magothy River where we could fish, crab, and swim.  So I find this site tonight, and maybe you have to since you posted this, called www.skinsight.com, and the best one was www.drbaileyskincare.com.  She has a great article for our condition which is called BRACHIORDIAL PRURITUS.  Google it, you will be amazed.  People have been having same issues for years, and have gone undiagnosed!
Another theory behind the itchy arm syndrome can be found here. For those of us with bad backs it is an interesting thought. I once had to go through 6 months of intense therapy because of a loss of feeling in my arm caused by my vertebrae being misaligned and many years of driving a truck causing it to have crushed discs.

http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog/a-new-explanation-for-intensely-itchy-arms/
A few years ago, I had a very small,  intensely itchy spot on my arm.  At first the spot didn't look different from the rest of my skin, but after a while it got red because I scratched it all the time.  After a few weeks of unsuccessfully trying everything to relieve the itching I went to a dermatologist.  She did a biopsy on the itchy spot, but did not find anything unusual.  However as the small wound of the biopsy site healed, the itch went away.  So I figured whatever was causing the itch was removed by the biopsy.  About a year later a similar itchy spot appeared in another place on my arm. After a few weeks of suffering, I had the idea to remove the itchy spot myself by using a liquid nitrogen wart freezing kit.  The procedure is simple and doesn't hurt much, but it does leave a small  circle of dead, frost-bitten skin that turns into a wound when the skin comes off.  As the wound healed, the itch went away.   I have since developed one or two spots each year, which I cure in the same fashion.  It always works for me.   Hope it works for you.  
I feel like i am going crazy! My right arm only itches (feels like something is biting me) on the top of my arm only, from my wrist to my elbow and occasionly my right shoulder but not nearly as bad as my arm. I have had this in the past maybe about 3 or 4 times over the last 5 years maybe.I haven't kept track in the past when it starts or for how long i have it, but this time it started in October and i have had it for about 3 weeks now, it seems to be worse at night but some days it does affect me during the day. I have used Benadryl gel which does give it some relief, but I WANT IT TO GO AWAY PERMANATELY! Or at least KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?
I have been a sufferer of the itchy arm syndrome, I call it because cant get a diagnosis for it, for about  8 years, as like everyone else the same symptoms. I to have been to many doctors, have had 2 MRI on my neck, been to a neurologist , can't find nothing, my neck bone has been numb for years and when I run my fingers across the bone feels like electrical shock and really hurts, yet they say nothing wrong with neck. My itching,as with many of you, comes and goes with no warning, and when it hits it lasts up to 6 months. Ice packs are my only relief, I have made homemade arm bands to hold the ice packs in place so I can sleep. There is nothing in my life style that changes for example, don't eat any different, don't change or start different meds. Etc. My episodes usually flare up in the winter months but also has happened in the spring and summer. I to believe it is neck or back issues, nerves, etc. problem is doctors don't get it. As many I don't have health insurance and can't afford to go to the doctor as much as needed to try to get an answer. Not sure if I would go even if I could because as it appears many of you are going and still the doctors are ignorant to it all. I will try some of the things you all have listed for relief so I can get through this episode, I know it will just stop again for awhile until the next time. My sister also suffers from this irritation and has many neck and back problems. For me this does progress and gets worse, use to be just between my shoulder and elbow but now a little in my wrist. Also forgot to mention the itch is also in my face,chest, scalp, even my eyebrows, it hit fast and severe so I also want to rip my face off along with my arms. I really hope we all can find some relief for this or a cure.
wow this is going to make me crazy go back to the dr tomorrow  and no joke if what i get dont help i am going to torch my arm i played chicken with a cig we let it burn down all the way between are arms as a teen so i can take a burn and would rather have some short lived pain and a little scar then never sleep  im going to burn this mad itch away no joke its making me nutz  
I have the same thing and have hade for a few years.  Comes and goes every few months (spring/summer)and as with most really starts up at night.  I too found ice packs about the only thing that helps.  I had Shingles a couple years back..Had never heard of it before. But as a baby boomer 52" I had chicken poxs. (also a nerve/itching thing)and we all see the ads  now for shots.  So my Dr advised me to get shingles shot.  Gona a give it a try...Pox its like herpes (which I never had) but stays with you forever with only occasional flare ups.
I am almost in tears reading all your testimonies about your "itchy" arms. I thought I was going crazy! I am on my third bout with this sh@# and I don't know what to do. I have been to every Dr. also where nothing was found and one Dr. almost acted as if I WAS crazy. This time is the worst it has ever been though. Just like you guys, it usually starts in the evening, with an ice bag I used to be able to get it to let up by the time I wanted to sleep. NOW, however, it wakes me up in the middle of the night and has iterally made me do some things that make me question my own sanity. I have tried some of the weirdest concoctions on my arm in the middle of the night, just hoping that I might stumble upon THE right combination of ingredients. Anytime I do seem to find something that seems to work it only works the first or second time I apply it and then it doesn't help at all. Short of cutting the skin off my arm, which I have wanted to do, I am GOING CRAZY!!!! Again, thank you so much for our posts though, at least I know that I'm not alone!
For a long time, and only at certain time did I experience shoulder itching to the point that ice packs would relieve the itching for a while.  However, I began looking at the medications I was taking and when I left off a Colon cleanse over the counter brand, it stopped.  Since I have not taken it, I have had no more itching on my shoulders at all.......Hoping this may help those that haven't recognized it could be something they are taking over the counter.
My right arm, between my wrist and elbow, has been itching for a few weeks. I've had sciatica on & off since June. An x-ray showed narrowing of discs, bone spurs and some scoliosis. I googled itchy arm and was amazed to find it may be connected to narrowing discs, and so many other people are experiencing it. I'll give all of your suggestions a try
I share all of your suffering. I don't think I have slept thru the night in the past two months. Had a series of back/neck x-rays last week. Going back to the Dr. next week to discuss. He thinks it is my C5 nerve. My neck has been hurting quite a bit lately. Had a nasty back spasm about a month ago and my dr. gave me Vicodin and Metaxalone (muscle relaxant). I take one or both pills on particularly bad nights. But I'm usually up by 2 am... and most nights I maybe fall back asleep for an hour at most. I seem to be running on about 4 to 5 hours sleep each night. I'm not a proponent of medicating with such strong pharm... but at this point, I need sleep. Even if it is only for a few hours at a time.

As most of the previous comments have stated, ice therapy seems to be the best relief. I went to the dermatologist a year ago when I had my last flare up. Derm seemed pretty incredulous about it, as there was no visible skin damage. Gave me steroid cream which only made my arm scream louder. Eventually it went away after about two months, but then started up again in late September, mildly at first, but now it is unbearable. Short of amputation, I haven't found a long-term solution. But I will try the witch hazel. Anything at this point.
Hi, same thing here guys.  It's 4:00 in the morning and it's gone away enough I think I can go back to bed.  Is there anything we all might have in common?  My wife thought it might be from handling fire wood.  I shrugged it off at the time, but she might have something.  It's my right forearm that itches and that's the one that gets most of the heat when I'm loading the stove.  Is anyone else exposed to heat on a regular basis?  Or, maybe it's an allergy to something on the wood.  
I remember this site from a few years ago and had to come here to tell . I have had this same problem since 2008 ,The more I scratch my arm near the elbow the more it itches......its makes you want to jump out of your skin! I have tried anything and everything! Please listen to what I done the other night and haven't itched since!
CLOROX Disinfecting Wipes! I went to clean my computer desk and was itching so bad I started to wipe my arm , all a sudden the itching stopped! The next day I laid another wet Clorox wipe on my arm a min for good measure. I swear It hasn't itched over a week since I have done this! Please Please try this and let me know if it has worked for you to!
Hi Frost
     I had the same thing for like six years . Please try it and tell me I am not crazy. I have not itched for a week now and its the first time in years.
    It sounds crazy but try wiping the area on your arm with Clorox disinfecting wipes. The itch stopped instantly. Please let me know if it works for you I am sure it will.

Regards
I too am a sufferer of this night arm itching for the last two years. So again it is 4:00 in the morning and I have itched my arms raw so while I continue my love affair with my gel packs, I thought I would see if anyone had anymore information to try.   I was visiting my daughter last year and her hubby who is a Doc. saw my arms, I have red blotches from all the vigorous scratching which break the blood vessels. He jumped into finding what was causing all the itching.  This is what he came up with...  It is cause by too much sun that has damaged your nerve endings. The information he found on it said that there were no cures or remedies. The only thing that he suggested was cold packs and long sleeve shirts when out in the sun  I have been a gardener for the last 20 years and have spent countless hours in the sun. it has a medical name but right now I cant remember it, but I will ask him again and post it later. good luck to all.      
I have also suffered with this. For me it  has always been on the arm that is on the mattress most. I sleep mainly on my right side since I'm left handed, and I like to have my left hand more available. I've done so much research on this, as it makes me feel I'm going crazy. The itching gets so intense, I've woken myself by itching. It's definitely worse at night, or only at night. I've tried Apple cider vinegar, rubbing alcohol, itch creams and allergy pills, etc... Some provided temporary relief but the itching always returned. Then I found in my online research, the culprit.         It was Scabies. Anyone can catch it, despite how clean you are. They are microscopic mites we can't see with the naked eye and live off human blood. They lay eggs in one main area (our arm, neck, etc, in an area that will stay warm). It's the eggs that cause the itching due to our bodies allergic reaction to the eggs and excrement of Scabies. Due your research, and/or speak to your Doctor, as there are specific tests to check for and diagnose Scabies. There is only one known cure that's medically accepted: Permathryn Cream 5%. You must follow specific instructions for getting rid of Scabies, both in yourself and your home. Do the research. It's worth it. I am now, finally, itch free. Good luck to you all.
Has anyone been to a doctor for possible renal issues?  I've had this on and off for the past few years and it typically came for the rainy season only (live in Hawaii).  Last night, at the height of the humid season and with our bedroom a/c on, it felt like someone was driving 50 needles into my left arm - on the forearm side at the elbow.  I had to get up and apply hydrocortizone (sp?) cream.  No rash, no dry skin, yes I'm a bit stressed - nothing new, no new medications, no change in diet, etc.  
I googled about my itching  and bumpy right elbow area and got this site. I get cold sore bouts on my face often, and discovered (at least in my case) that extremely hot  wet  compresses applied to the area seems to make a faster cure.I just put my elbow area under extremely hot  kitchen faucet water and it knocked out the itch. I will see how long it lasts!
Use the clorox wipes to make it temporarily stop. But in order for it to stay gone you must take garlic and apple cider vinegar capsules by mouth because it is coming from eating bread containing yeast. Wikipedia bread and you'll see why. I've studied heath and natural cures for 12 years to be able to understand what ills people. because I don't want people miserable. God Bless you all!!
Thanks for the thread! I havet had a burning scratching arm for about 5/6 weeks! Unberably at night! Tried most of what people are writing about above! Got a tip the other day about a Ayurveda medication! Bought sametinget called Mucuna pruriens (atmagupta churna), some sort of bean that you mix with milk and water! AND suprasingly it helps, i can still fel that i want to itch and scratch but its nothing camparen to befor! Sorry for misspellings! Love from Stockholm Sweden
I have it too, on my left arm..same symptoms noted....I use lemon juice. I squeeze a lemon slice while running it over my arm...it works.
I have had this intense itch for many years now. Been to doctors and no relief. I had the pleasure of sitting down with a lady and her husband that shed some light on my problem.My arms itch when I get stressed or tired.This lady and her husband had told me of years of agony she had went thru.I will skip a lot of the story and tell you this part that is true as she told it. She had lost here children due to health problems that was so severe she could not function at full capacity.He husband had taken her to several hospitals in the Dallas,Tx area and to numerous doctors and spent thousands of dollars. She had said that all the doctors she had met told her it was in her head and no medical reasons would give a diffident diagnosis until she meet a sleep disorder doctor.Her husband explained that they admitted her for sleep testing and after several sleep test and blood test she had a actual sleep disorder. The doctor explained that there are four stages of sleep we go thru. The most important one is the dream stage and without the dream stage the nervous system does not shut down and therefor causing all kinds of problems. Now I know your not suppose to take drugs from people you don't know but they both insisted that I had the same problem she had and gave me a hand full of her meds. I was so desperate I would have made a deal with the devil if it would have helped. I rolled up my sleeves and that's when they said I had the same exact thing she had. My arms and elbows were bleeding and scabbed over. I only sleep maybe 5 hours if lucky and never dreamed.  She gave me the pills and the first one I took I could tell the problem was getting better. I continue taking these pills until I got in to my physician and he told me these pills were the strongest narcotic drug on the market.  He went on telling me that with these pills he knew what I was suffering from, Stress, Problem solved . I quit my job changed my lifestyle and started getting the necessary sleep needed and problem gone .Its back. I have been stressed out and no quality sleep,go figure.  Please forgive my grammer
Did you have what i had the infection?Read my blog lea 0770/I am cured 100 percent
apple cider vinager stops my itchy arms right away
try rubing apple cider vinager on it helps me
try apple cider vinager works wonders
I have had an intese itch in the exact same 2-inch spot on the inside of my upper arm for over 6 years!!!!  It itches every day, yet there are no changes in the skin...no rash, no bumps, no flakiness, no discoloration.  Doctors can't find an explanation and the topical creams haven't worked.  What in the world can be causing this?  
I am trying Sovereign Silver, which is a homeopathic gel, to my itch  on my left arm and it has helped much better than the cortisone, Gold Bond, etc. but I don't know for how long.  Will try to keep you posted.
To all if you have to scratch use a nylon nail brush I use one and I scub till it stops itching .I find this doesn't damage my skin and does stop the itching. Chris
Clorox wipes work.  I had many of the same issues as some of you with shoulder and back pain and was convinced it was nerves related to those.  On one of these websites, a guy said he accidentally used a wipe.  Thinking it was just the clorox, I used just the liquid bleach but that was a very temporary help.  In looking at the ingredients on the wipes, I'm not even sure they have clorox in them but there's something in those wipes that calmed the areas of my arms.  The first time I used them, it worked for several hours and then after subsequent usage, the sypmtom went away.  Once it seemed to be coming back, I used a wipe and it was gone again.  Such a simple fix so I wanted to add my comment here in case it helps someone else.
I have your same symptoms, I can't sleep and I'm sooo tired, it itches so bad that I bleed. Makes me almost cry, I'm using creams & pills, but no luck.... Please help me if you hear of any relief.. I've been to Dermatology, I think it may be time to go back, and say nothings helping!!!
I have the same thing. It typically comes around this time of year when the air gets a bit drier. It itches more so at night but does flare up sometimes during the day and it mostly from my elbow up my upper arm just a bit. I do the same as you, put on hydrocortisone which only helps a little bit but mostly a cold bottle of water or an ice pack relieves the burning/itching. I'm gonna join the watch list and hopefully we'll get an answer!
Thank you!
Oh this is such a relief to hear something helps. I'm going crazy from my upper outside arms and back of neck itching mostly at night. I feel dumb cause I felt I was the only one in the world to have this and maybe it was in my head. I've lost so much sleep. It's extremely miserable.  I have tried every cream and allergy medicine with no success. My dr initially thought it was scabies and turns out that's not it. Whew I've heard of it but don't know really what it is. Now she has me on prednisone and steroid cream for eczema. I'm on day 4 of 5 it and no relief. It's such a struggle every night. Sorry for rambling but I am so miserable. Does it matter what kind of Clorox wipes? And is there anything else that might as well? And what is this from?
PEROXIDE
I use alcohol pads rub it over the area few times it goes away.
Does anyone with the itching arm syndrome sit next to a heat source, i.e., steam radiator, heater while reading/watching TV?
Mine is on the top of my elbow joint. Same symptoms. Just because I had some, I tried an anti-fungal, athlete's foot cream one night and it stopped IMMEDIATELY. I've also used ice, which helps too. I happen to believe it's a neuropathy, that is, a brain issue. Ever been hit in the head? Or maybe just an aging issue. Best of luck to all. Even tho it's not a fungus (I don't think), the anti-fungus cream helped instantly and lasted for a while.  
There is only one rx that I have found that works for this.
Betamethasone topical, generic Diprozone.  I break out every April and have been using this cream since 2009 with great results.