itching at night in waves of intesity no rash or skin discoloration

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

This is the second time this has occurred.  1st time was about 2 months ago. I live in Minneapolis MN.  So I dont know if its due to dryer air but.  my right arm between my wrist and elbow itches so bad at night I cant sleep.  It is a bee sting like beginning followed by a poison ivy type burn itch which is relieved immediately by scratching with a sharp object.  I havent gotten to bleed yet but Im sure Im close.  This goes on in waves of intensity about every 15 to 20 seconds.  So its rest and then biting feeling then itch until the itch feeling goes away and then wait until it starts all over again.  I havent switched soaps or deoderants etc.  I have tried putting hand lotion , baby oil with vitamin E.  Neither helped for more than a second or two.  I did try DOMEBORO mixture and that helps a little but its such a procedure to do every 1/2 hr while tryin to sleep.   PLease advise or should I go to the MD?????
Tags: Itching
I have had severe itching in my arms for the last few years. The itch usually starts late summer and stops sometime in late fall. My research and experience has lead me to believe that my condition is cause by exposure to the Sun. The exposure "accumulates" over the spring and summer, and the symptoms manifest after a period of exposure and subside after a period of avoidance.

What I have done to manage the symptoms is as follows:

1. Try using an ointment that contains Menthol like Icy Hot on the effected areas.

2. If the Menthol does not relieve your symptoms enough try Using a NSAD pain reliever. I have had success with Aleve. I use up to the perscription dosage of the OTC med which is 880mg or twice the recommended OTC dosage. You can start low and work your way up till symptoms are sufficiently relieved. Take half the meds in the morning and half before bed.

3. Usually the Icy Hot ointment seems to become not as effective after using it for a few weeks. Then I switch to using something like Cortisone cream for a few weeks then switch back to Icy Hot.

Eventually, at least it is true for me, the symptoms will subside and you will not need the meds or creams.

I notice that your symptoms come and go which is different from me where the symptoms are persistent over a long period of time. There is another theory that the itching can be caused by a pinched nerve near where the nerve intersects the spinal cord. This nerve runs along the arm. you might look into that if you don't believe
  Sun exposure accounts for your symptoms.

This last spring/summer I determined that I was going to avoid all exposure (for my arms at least) to the Sun. I purchased Sun Clothing with the max Sun protection. I always wore these when going outside for any reason or any length of time. (You'll do anything not to have the itch). So far I have not had any symptoms of the itch
this year.

Last year I did use sun screen, but it was not sufficient, and I had the worst symptoms from late July to mid November. Who knows, it could have been the sun screen that cause the itch.

Good luck. I know how horrible this itch can be.

I also have  severe itching, on mostly my upper forearms.  Problems has occurred over the past 10 years, mostly while I was pregnant.  I am NOT now.  Severe itching, no rash or discoloration either.  Just found info on Brachioradial pruitus, maybe something to consider.  Sarna lotion and a steroid cream offer some relief but nothing totally helps.  The irritability that comes w/it certainly is driving my husband and children crazy, as me.  Have also heard, itching can lead to underlying kidney,liver issues.  God luck and post any addtnl. info you may receive.
i've been searching and reading and the itching is driving me nuts. i too have been diagnosed with "general skin rash" "scabies" "dermatitis allergen" or even the "perhaps its a reaction to your various meds" and reduce me down or eliminate the meds, but not the itching. i have been taking pics over months - it appears below my left elbow ... then there is the "deep-seated-want-to-cut-my-hand/arm-off itch" where i've scratched layers of skin off the palm of my hand, then the itch appears on the right forearm or wrist with a small rash, then the head itches.... now i've got a "necklace band of rash" and it burns like "burning nettle" - the littlest wisp of a hair against the skin can set off a scratching episode. i've tried mixing everything from vagisil anti-itch cream with the topical steriod with acne cream ... i can't sleep ... the prescription strength antihistihmine doesn't work ... aveeno or diaper rash cream helps some ... i take antidepressent citalopram hydrobromide ... that is the only change in the past year that i've had this itch problem - i was weened off depakote, lorazapam and simisivan (for cholesterol). i do have sciatica/low back problems and just recently began receiving shots .... so the shots isn't it. my face itches ... anything that i can scratch ....if there is a scab anywhere, i will scratch that off too .... i take extend sleep ambian - and i scratch and wake up from that too .....on to doctor number 3 tomorrow and then wait to see a dermatologist .... as far as the sun goes ... i try to not get direct sun - but that has nothing to do with the itchies ... the itchies have been going on since at least jan 09.