itching cause by body heat
My son gets an intense itching that he says is like needles in his skin when he gets warm.  Physical activity increases the itching.  What could be causing this?
sounds like a heat rash but I'm no doctor just what it sounds like to me
Without examination it is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis, but the symptoms are suggestive of prickly heat(malaria) or sweat dermatitis. Prickly heat (miliaria) is an itchy skin rash caused by trapped sweat. It tends to occur on areas of the body where skin touches skin, such as under the breasts, on the inner thighs, and under the arms. Tiny red spots with itching and pricking sensation are the characteristic appearance of this rash.

Avoid using any lotions and creams for the meantime.Ask him to use a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Also use cotton clothes and change the clothes twice if there is any increased sweating.Try keeping the skin free of sweat as far as possible. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid like dermacort.For the itching antihistaminics like Benadryl or Claritin can be given.

If the symptoms persist please consult a dermatologist.Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any additional queries.
Thanks for the qnswer.  He doesn't get a rash just the itching sensation.  Could it still be the same thing?