itching legs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itching legs

I`m bothered by itching legs have tried all kinds of creams nothing works

Have you noticed any rash at the site? What work do you do?

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or eczema.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.
I`m retired , I go swimming & ride my bike most every day .first I thought a new med.was causing the itch so i went off of it,now I`m thinking that the glass of wine I have before dinner might be the cause .The  other night I played cards& had a glass of wine & was up all night my legs were so bad ,last night the same thing happened so I`m off the wine to see if it makes a difference..I have all small bumps under the skin where  it itches I washed the legs  with baby soap & let the water run over them after I put on some calmoseptine ointment & they feel great ,thanks for the suggestions

Glad the post was of help to you. It was nice of you to write back and keep us posted about how you are doing.

Consult your skin specialist and till then - You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Regards.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide)