Dermatology Expert Forum
itching scalp and possible dandruff with bald spot

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hello.  Im 20 years old and I have a question.  Recently the past three months my scalp has been extremely itchy.  I have not changed my hair washing habits, I wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner everyday and put a small amount of mousse.  But the past three months my scalp has been really itchy and it flakes a little.  The other day I was itching it in this one particular spot on the top of my head but on the side, because it almost felt like I had a pimple there.  Then about two days ago I took a mirror back there and noticed that the spot where I was itching became a bald spot.  I have no hair there now and its really freaking me out.  Its about 1/4" in diameter and its red.  Its still itchy on that spot as well as my whole scalp but I try less to itch it now because I dont know if me scratching it caused the hair to fall out.  I know I had hair on that spot before.  My hair doesnt fall out much, its probably about normal.  My hair is thick but I dont have that much, you cant notice my scalp through my hair unless you really stare or if I have my head down and the light is shining on it.  Now my question is why did the hair fall out in this one area?  When will it grow back?  Will it grow back?  How long will it take to grow back?  Why is my scalp itching so much?  How do I stop the itching?  Im really concerned about the bald spot though because now Im scared that all my hair will fall out.
Your hair will not all fall out.  Most likely, you have alopecia areata.  This is a common condition in which a bald spot suddenly appears, lasts a few months, then grows back.  Cause is unknown.

Chances are the itching and scratching have nothing to do with it.  You can scratch put a few hairs, but they always grow back.

Itching can come from mild dandruff.  Right now most of your itching no doubt comes from worrying that you're going bald, which you're not.

Get some over-the-counter dandryuff shampoo (tar, zinc), and see a dermatologist who can diagnose, treat, and reassure you.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I have had a red rash on one side of my head only for about a month, It looks it a patch, and it flakes.  It seems very similiar to your problem...
A related discussion, i have a bald spot was started.
A related discussion, Acne awareness was started.
A related discussion, bald spot on my scalp was started.