itchy, burning rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy, burning rash

For the past nine months I have had an itchy, burning rash from my scalp and ears down to my ankles (no face or groin, thank goodness). There are patches of small, pinkish, raised bumps which gradually grow together in a mass after a few weeks. I have seen two dermatologists and neither one can figure out what causes the condition or what to do for it except anti-itch creams and ointments. I have been on and off prednisone twice, and that works great, except the side effects are so bad that neither doctor wants to keep me on it for more than a few weeks. They itching and burning are so bad that I am tempted to go back on the prednisone and to hell with the side effects. Can the cause be the drugs I take? (Atenolol,  Plavix, Cozaar, and Vytorin) and can I safely eliminate one at a time in order to see if one is the culprit? By the way, I am a 79-year-old male.