itchy acne like rash on chest
I have an itchy acne like rash on my chest. The rash is made up of acne like sores on the hair follicles, but unlike acne, they itch, and they are generally small without an acne like whitehead. When squezzed there is only a little puss and blood.  The rash is generally confined to one small area, although it seems to have spread a bit lately. I first tried treating it by cleansing the area and putting some mild cortisone cream on it. It seemed to go away only to come back with a vengeance when I would scratch a sudden uncomfortable itch. After some online research, I discovered folliculitis, which appears to be caused by various things including fungus, so I started to apply some clotrimazole cream twice a day. It has been a week and the infection is not responding to this at all. I'm thinking it may be bacterial, and would like to know there is an off the shelf medication that can help. Any advice would be helpful. I can submit a photo if that would help.

Finally, if I do see a doctor, is it necessary that it be a dermatologist or would a prmary care physician probably be good enough? Thanks!

Without examination,confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but it can be contact dermatitis,rash due to friction rub with clothes, folliculitis,dermatitis (atopic, contact, allergic), heat rash or excessive sweating causing sweat dermatitis.

You may try calamine lotion on the rash. You should also maintain hygiene and try to keep the area clean and dry, wear loose-fitting cotton clothing. Also use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove.Avoid deodorant / cosmetics. You can also use a mild steroid creamon the itchy rash.Also take some oral antihistaminics like benadryl or Claritin.

If the rash persists then it will be best to get it evaluated from a dermatologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.

I am not a doctor, but it sounds like Grover's Disease.  I was diagnosed very quickly when I showed this to my doctor and explained the itching.  It is a very distinctive looking rash and it appeared only on my chest and slightly under my bra line.   http://www.dermnetnz.org/scaly/grovers.html  I found that Sarna lotion was extremely helpful in reducing the itching.  I highly recommend it.  Grover's Disease does last a few months or more.  I did not take any medications - I was told it just has to run its course.  Use the Sarna!  Hope this helps!