itchy arm rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy arm rash

For a couple of months now, i have had to deal with an itchy rash on my left arm. It seems that when I scratch my arms, these bumps appear. Sometimes they appear to have a white center. I find it most irritable at night.I also notice that if I go to bed with minimal scratching, the bumps don't appear to be as raised the morning after. I am concerned for several reasons. First of all, the itchiness is beginning to be unbearable at times, And more importantly, it seems that the rash/bumps are now spreading to my right arm as well. I have had it looked at by a doctor who suspects an allergic reaction to something. However, the creams prescribed just don't seem to help. What could these bumps/rash possibly be? What treatment might  help?
These itchy bumps that appear when you scratch your arms could be hives. Hives are raised, often itchy, red welts on the surface of the skin. They are usually an allergic reaction to food or medicine.

When you have an allergic reaction to a substance, histamine and other chemicals are released into your bloodstream, causing itching, swelling, and other symptoms. Some of the trigger factors for hives are medications, foods like shellfish, fish, nuts, eggs, milk, and other foods, pollen, animal dander (especially cats), insect bites.

The welts tend to start suddenly and resolve quickly. When you press the center of a red welt, it blanches (turns white).
They can also change shape, disappear, and reappear within minutes or hours. The treatment is oral anti-histamines like Cetrizine/Loratidine. You may also apply Calamine lotion or menthol based creams  on the itchy areas to soothe the irritated skin.

Hives may be uncomfortable, but they generally are harmless and disappear on their own. In most cases, the exact cause of hives cannot be identified.
ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/adam1000845
First off, thanks for the advice. Will taking  Zyrtec help? I used to take it for seasonal allergies.
Yes, it will help.