itchy armpits, no rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy armpits, no rash

I am suffering from itchy armpits from time to time (a horrible condition that wakes me up during the night). Nothing can be seen on the skin. I have seen 4 dermatologists but they all failed to diagnose the problem. The only temporary remedy is cortizone cream, which eases the itch for almost two weeks, but then I need to use it again. Here's what I have done so far:

1. changed my deodorant a few times, the latest one is a natural, no smell for sensitive skin,
2. didn't use deodorant at all for a period of more than 2 months,
3. applied moisturising cream,
4. wash my body with soap free material,

None of the above has worked for me yet. I do not live in a dry environment. I go to Gym three times a weeks followed by an immediate body wash, drying and moisturising my skin. I cut the hairs with a razor every month.

Is there any way I can get rid of this condition permanently?
These symptoms can be due to intertrigo. It most commonly occurs due to bacterial, viral or fungal infection. An intertrigo usually appears red and raw-looking, and may also itch, ooze, and be sore.

Please keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocrem, Desitin are very helpful(apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort also helps. For the itching take some over the counter antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin. In case the symptoms persist then antifungals may be needed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
I had this problem for I'd say about 2 to 3 years. It drove me absolutely nuts. I went to 2 different dermatologists. 1 said that there was nothing wrong, the other made a guess to shut me up. I tried antibiotics, steroid cream, desitin, unscented lotion, switched deodorant, natural deodorant, NO deodorant, benadryl, rubbing alcohol, witch hazel.......you get the picture, I think.
A few weeks ago, I used tea tree oil. After a week, the itchiness was gone. I used it for an additional week just for good measure. I use it every once in a while when I feel a little "twinge". I actually think I'm just paranoid - but I DO NOT want to deal with this ever again! You need to dilute the tea tree oil with water before using it on skin. I used it twice a day. Seriously, it's like a miracle. I just want to share because this was something that was truly unbearable. I got the tea tree oil at a health food store.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
I did IPL on one armpit and removed the hairs. It looks like it helps. I am going to see the dermatologist soon. Let's see what happens. Keep in touch.
Cheers