itchy bug bites

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy bug bites

I had some bug bites that were very itchy. Due to excessive scratching they have now become open sores and are leaking puss. What can I do to stop the itching and should I see my doctor about the puss?
It looks like there is secondary infection of the bug bites and hence it is leaking pus. Keep the area clean and apply some warm compresses and topical antiseptics. Also wear use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. Also please consult a dermatologist as oral antibiotics may be needed. For the itching oral antihistaminics can be taken but if it is due to scabies then you may need specific medication like permethrin.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.