itchy bumps on skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy bumps on skin

I have had itchy bumps on my skin for the past five months.  They started with just one bump and have continued to spread.  They are mostly confined to my back and chest, however I have some on my arms and legs.  The bumps are not red and are not noticable when they start itching.  The bumps will eventually go away.  I have seen four doctors and none have helped my problem.

This discussion is related to Small bumps that itch on the skin.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How would you describe these bumps?

Are they skin colored, whitish, scaly or shiny?

This may be a form of allergic reaction to an unknown trigger. If you have any history of asthma or allergic rhinitis and if a strong family history of asthma or allergies are present in the family , then an allergic reaction may be likely.

Certain forms of contact or irritant dermatitis may not present as a reddish rash. They may be itchy and may cause discomfort however they may not necessarily require further intervention.

In your case, you have not mentioned of any redness. This may be a case of nonerythematous irritant dermatitis. Have you been exposed to certain substances or chemicals in the last 5 months?
The bumps start as very small skin colored bumps and will ultimately have a very small scab in the center of the bump (which may be caused from scratching) and the bump will turn reddish in color.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Rereading your post, you have mentioned that a single bump appeared to have been present prior to the occurrence of the other bumps , is this correct?
Differentials for red bumps which may scale and scab is pityriasis rosea .Pityriasis rosea presents with "pink and flaky oval-shaped rash, not dissimilar to ringworm
A single "herald" patch may occur 1 to 20 days before smaller, more numerous patches of rash. It has also been known for the "herald" patch either not to be noticed or not to exist. Other "herald" patches may appear as a cluster of smaller oval spots rather than a single patch."

Source:http://www.womens-health-beauty.com/skin-problems/pityriasis-rosea.htm

This may be associated with fever and generalized weakness. The cause of the condition is still vague. The lesions of pityriasis rosea is almost likened to that of fungal infections . They are usually reddish to brownish with a scaly center.

Is this similar to your case?
I have very small (1ml or less in diameter) skin colour bumps on the back of my middle finger in the right hand. They look like they have a clear spot in the middle, very minute.

It started off as one bump closer to the nuckle which became increasingly itchy, then as I itched it it then spread.

When the blister type things are broken they ozze clear fluid - maybe carrying a virus or something?? When the skin in the area is quite dry, scaley and red, and then broken blisters then scab. I dont think it takes much to break them as I dont touch them, but I notice later they are broken.

I have tried zovirax (anti cold sore cream), canesten (anti fungal) which kind of reduced the symptoms but they didnt go away, my doctor suggested elocon (strong steroid cream) in which they went away, but when I stopped using the elocon they came back after a couple of weeks - leading me to believe it did not get rid of the problem but only masked it?

I had a swap, but sofar the tests havent come back, and I have had a blood test maybe 6 months or more ago and I didnt have anything come up then?
I have been looking all over the internet to try find some answers. I get itchy skin then when i scratch it the area turns into a small flesh colored bump. it goes away within hours. i have found pic on bed bugs which scared the heck out of me cause i started looking into bed bugs but a lot of the posts say that bed bug bites are red i have searched my house high and low and was not able to find anything so i went to poulins and bought a pesticide (i think thats what it was) they said it would kill almost all bugs and because im terrified of bugs i got it and sprayed my house. i also thought it could be fleas ?? but not to sure i do have a cat that likes to go out side. and also sleeps everywhere in my house. could it be flea or any other websites i can check out that might be helpful? i have gotten to the point where i always have a creepy crawly feeling and my boyfriend says its cause im thinking about bugs!!! but cant help it!!! need help!!!