itchy burning scalp
For many years I've been having scalp problems, it itches and burns and it drives me crazy. I have had this problem for several years now more like 25 or 26 years, I have dealth with this problem in differant ways such as using alcohol, peroxide or even literine and believe me it controls the problem for a few days then it comes back. Know for the last 3 years I have seen a brown spot the size of a quarter, it turns dry and I am able to scrape it off, I have also been getting a lot of break-outs (annoying pimples) on my scalp for the last 2 years. Know between the burning, itching, break-out It's driving me crazy, I saw a physician and he told me it was nothing. What can I do?

This could be seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is a skin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and trunk causing scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin. It particularly affects the sebum-gland rich areas of skin.

Side effects to inflammation may include temporary hair loss. If severe outbreaks are untreated for extended intervals, permanent hair loss may result, because of damage to hair follicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis

Soaps and detergents such as sodium laureate sulfate may precipitate a flare-up, as they strip moisture from the top layers of the skin, and the drying property of these can cause flare-ups and may worsen the condition. Accordingly a suitable alternative should be used instead.

Among dermatologist recommended treatments are shampoos containing coal tar, ciclopiroxolamine, ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or zinc pyrithione. For severe disease, keratolytics such as salicylic acid or coal tar preparations may be used to remove dense scale. Topical terbinafine solution (1%) has also been shown to be effective in the treatment of scalp seborrhoea,as may lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids or corticosteroids (such as fluocinolone acetonide). Pimecrolimus topical lotion is also sometimes prescribed.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination if your symptoms persist.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.
I have the same problems! Although, i have not had any dark spots come up, but i've only been battling this for about 4 years. My scalp with burn, and itch beyond releif, and i will sometimes get little puss pockets from red bumps (mainly because i will wake my self up scratching agressivly). I have alot of hair loss when i wash my hair, or brush. My doctor said it was seborrehic (however you spell it) dermititus and gave me a topical alcohol based medicine, but it only temporarily releives the pain and itching. I am settin up an appointment for a dermatologist. Hope you get releif soon....

Regards.

i had the same think.. i found it was tied to the medication i was taking..  quit taking the  heart burn med.. with process of elimenation.. and Omeprazole was the problem ..  omg so simple to figure out.. start checking what supplements and rx.  you take..