itchy chest and back pimples

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy chest and back pimples

For months now, I've had this patch of extremely itchy pimples and rash between my breasts(some of them ARE pimples, I 'popped' a couple by itching and got cores).  They didn't spread until recently, but nothing(creams, cleansers, etc) helped them stop itching or clear up.  In the last month, they've spread to cover my entire chest, upper arms(down to short sleeve length), and upper back pretty solidly.  This past week, its spread to my lower back and upper butt, and the top of my stomach.  I went to a dermatologist, and he diagnosed me with prurigo, gave me a prescription for some cream and told me to use sarna.  Didn't explain what it was, nothing, so I looked it up when I got home - I do not believe that is what I have.  Neither the prescription cream or the sarna helps with the itching - I itch the spots in my sleep, even, and end up bloody and scabs all over.  I went to the tanner yesterday(no more free tanning in the yard - too cold!) and noticed that a few minutes into the tan, the itching eased up considerably and amost went away entirely for a few hours afterwards.  I plan on going back to the tanner in a few days to see if I get the same results - and I'm wondering if the UV rays from the tanning bed will eventually clear this rash up.  Any ideas or suggestions?

You could be having an acne or pimple at the site. You should avoid tanning till you consult your skin specialist.

There are several treatment options available for acne - topical application creams, oral medications, laser treatment etc.

It would be best to consult your dermatologist to decide about the best treatment option in your case.

Comedonal (non-inflammatory) acne: local treatment with azelaic acid, salicylic acid, topical retinoids, benzoyl peroxide.

Mild papulo-pustular (inflammatory) acne: benzoyl peroxide or topical retinoids, topical antibiotics (such as erythromycin).

Moderate inflammatory acne: benzoyl peroxide or topical retinoids combined with oral antibiotics (tetracyclines). Isotretinoin is an option.

Severe inflammatory acne, nodular acne, acne resistant to the above treatments: isotretinoin also known as Accutane, can be prescribed by a doctor, or contraceptive pills with cyproterone for females with virilization or drospirenone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acne_vulgaris#Treatments

Let us know about how you are doing and what your doctor advises.

Post us if you need any further information.

Regards.
I do too!! Exact same problem. I have pimples that itch on my back and chest. It's like after I cleaned my house I got bumps and itchy from dust bugs. I was cleaned after and my doctor helped me. But then a few months after, my skin itched and pimples formed. Now it's spreading on my body, I tried everything. The pimples then go away and comes right back. Did you get any answer? It would be helpful for me. :)