itchy feet in between toes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy feet in between toes

Since 1986 daily I have had a chronic case of itchyness between all of my toes.
No where else.
This has been so life altering, that even when I have my coffee breaks at work I have to treat it, if I go out for an evening I have to go to my car to treat it, and I wake up every few hours because of it.

Treatments:

The doctor perscribed "Triaderm cream 0.1%" which helps a bit, but certainly far from solving the problem.

The only thing that takes the itch aways is the Gold Bond Medicated Foot powder. It works like a charm, BUT,
only for about 45 min,  then have to apply more. Plus, I go through so much that it is always in the air, and coats my tables, floors, etc. and since it has talcum in it, I am sure that is not good for me and my children.

I tried the home remedy of Apple Cider Vinigar in a 50/50 solution in a foot bath. But doesn't seem to do it.

The last time I went to my doctor I was quite upset actually at his suggestion to the point I am thinking of switching. First I would like to point out, that this has been going on for 22 years, and I wake up with it, actually it wakes me up.
But my doctor recommended Paroxetine, and anti-depressant, saying it may be an OCD issue.
I can assure it is not. This is the only area that impacts my life, I have no other depression issues, or medical issues of any kind. This problem wakes me up, and even when I am not thinking about it, it just kicks in spontaneously.

Doing lots of reading on the net, I am not sure if this could be diabetes, athletes foot (although it has been 22 years, can it last that long?) or what it could be. My doctor didn't have an answer and just did the anti-depressant thing that some do, without a dermatology referral.. I think after 22 years it is warrented?

I should also point out there is no visible signs of this on my feet. No peeling, no discolor, nothing. But the feeling is like all of a sudden someone is putting a feather in between my toes, all on that particular foot at one... all spaces in between the toes come on at the same time... but on the one foot. Sometimes left foot, sometimes right foot, but rarely both feet at the same time.

I have tried wearing just sandels around the house to keep air flow. I wear those rubber shoes at work with the holes for air flow. I change my socks like 3 times a day.

I am at a total loss on this, but to be honest it is completely life altering, costing a fortune on treatments that don't work.

If anyone knows of a home remedy or what this could be, I would appreciate it more than anything....

This could be a fungal infection. Athlete's foot, also called tinea pedis, is a fungal infection of the feet. Most people want to avoid athlete's foot because it is uncomfortable and unsightly. Left untreated, the Trichophyton and Epidermophyton organisms which cause it can spread to other parts of the body.

By keeping the feet clean and dry, you can avoid athlete's foot infection rather effectively. Socks made from cotton and other materials which will wick moisture away from the foot should be worn, along with shoes made from leather and similar breathable materials. People who sweat a great deal may want to consider changing socks more than once a day to avoid athlete's foot, and using a foot powder to reduce perspiration. Shoes or sandals should also be worn in common areas, especially moist ones where the fungus will thrive.

Many people actually carry the fungus on their feet all the time, but do not develop an infection because they keep their feet clean and dry. Although the name suggests otherwise, the infection can happen to anyone, not just athletes, although people who frequent areas like pools and gyms may be more likely to pick up the fungus and have moist, warm feet for the fungus to grow on. If athlete's foot is detected, take steps to eradicate it quickly. It can lead to increasing discomfort on the part of the foot's owner. Ultimately, the nails of the foot will also become infected, and they may fall off.

To avoid athlete's foot reinfection, there are also a few steps which can be taken. It is possible to reinfect yourself with the fungus, or to spread it to other areas of the body. On other body parts, it is more commonly known as ringworm. The bedding of anyone with athlete's foot should be washed frequently, and floors that their feet come in contact with should also be washed. Shoes worn by the patient should be aired out completely before being worn again, and the use of an enzymatic cleaner or fungicide may help to ensure that the fungus is entirely gone. Socks should be washed and completely dried all the time to avoid athlete's foot, but especially in the case of an active infection.

Regards.