itchy hands an feet

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy hands an feet

Hi there.
I went to the doctors complaining of itchy, red hands and occassionally on the top of my feet behind the toes and inbetween my toes. He gave me a cream to use saying that it sounds like scabies.  I used this cream for a week from my neck down and showered every moring to remove it. This has not helped at all. He also gave me a hydroquortizone cream for my hands.  It has been 2 weeks now and I am still the same. During the day I occassionally have tingling on the skin on my hands normally on my thumbs and palms, but never my feet.  During the evening when i sit to relax in the livingroom my hands become blood red and burn with immense heat and are very itchy.  I keep still for about 20 minutes not itching it and it will eventually subside to a bearable tingling. My feet itch occassionally but not everytime, when they do there is a red rash, but not raised.  Sometimes I am woke in bed with it. I have tried antihistomines, but this really doesnt help.  I have always owned horses, I have a dog and 2 cats.  I am very concious of being clean and my animals are also kept very clean.  I do have dust alergies (allergies) that make me sneeze and the roof of my mouth becomes very itchy but this has always been the case if i am around hay.  I try to let my daughter do this so it doesnt affect me.  My itching has been happening now for aprox 3 months and is driving me crazy.
You have mentioned red hands. Is there anything else to see? blisters/ flaky skin? Is the rash like a nettle sting rash?/ hives?

Regards

Dr.Sasi Attili
Consultant Dermatologist
Hello.
Thankyou so much for your question.  There are no blisters, or flaky skin, no dryness and the rash looks like heatrash across my toes but on my hands the whole palm is red like scalding, but only when itchy.  If i submerge my hands in cold water, dry them and hold them out infront of me for 10 minutes then the burning and itching subsides but leaves my skin feeling tight for a while.  This does not happen everyday, in fact it didnt happen at all yesterday, and is worse of an evening. Another interesting thing that is strange is that it is always mirrored to both hands, so if I am itching on the index finger on the right hand it also itches in the same place on the left hand.  At most, the itchyness is worst on the centre of my palms, close to my wrists.
Would be helpful if you could upload some pictures......
It looks like hives or urticaria to me. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and also apply steroid cream on the rash. If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.