itchy legs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy legs

This discussion is related to Itchy legs, no sign of rash or irritation.

I have had this problem for just over 2 years,
i went to my GP and they have given me antibiotics as they think i have folliculitis. I searched this and i have no symptons for folliculitis, as this occurs when you have red spots full of pus. my legs are dry and flaky as a result of my 2 years of itching and i have no rashes, just scars from scratching
Hi. I am Dena from NC. I have had a problem for as long as I remember with my legs itching after a shower and especially after shaving my loegs. Now, all of a sudden they have began to itch every night when I lay down to go to bed. They do throughout the day, if I am not thinking about anything else, but at night when all is quiet and I am trying to get still and go to SLEEP!! I have a hairbrush by the bed and use it, because regular scratching DOESN'T HELP!!! We have had a cat and dog for years and they sleep with us, so I know it isn't them. It isn't any soap or anything like that, because I haven't changed anything lately. I have changed soaps and things like that in the past and couldn't tell any difference. Mostly because they weren't itching ALL the time nor EVERY DAY. I, too have little itch here and there and here and there, but nothing serious, just irritating. I have no sign of a rash and they don't look dry, plus I keep lotion on them. I was scratching so bad the other night, I scratched my shin so bad it started bleeding.
Anyway, I sure hope someone comes up with a solution QUICK!!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be a case of irritant or xerotic eczema. Have you consulted with your dermatologist already? Dry scaly skin especially in the hands and legs may be a reaction to a product applied in the area.

Do you frequently shave your legs?

Do you use any cream or foam on your legs?

Antihistamines and steroid creams may be able to help. Discuss this with your physician. Use only mild unscented creams to misturize the area.If you have noted any possible triggers, avoid these as much as possible.
Your problem sounds exactly like mine. I scratch my legs till they are raw. My worst area is from the knee down on the front of the legs. I do notice the skin is dry, but even creams do not seem to help. I have had this for several years and I am now getting concerned as I have read it could be kidney related. My sister is on dialysis and it is not pretty. If anyone has any insight into this posibility please let me know.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Do you have any other associated symptoms like easy fatigability,weight gain and thinning of the hair?

I suggest that aside from having your kidneys checked you also have your thyroid hormones checked.TSH and FT4 levels may be determined. Hypothyroidism may present with dryness and rash on the skin over the lower extremities.Hypothyroidism  is a likely differential that you may want to look into and discuss with your physician.
I have been dealing with itchy legs for over 15 years... and I am only 27!  It is usually just my lower legs. I am so relieved to see that other people have my problem. My fiance thinks I am crazy I swear! And all my mom and doctor ever said was "put more lotion on".  They just don't get it.  It certainly can't be an allergic reaction... why would only my lower legs be allergic to something?  I can't believe with so many people having this problem they aren't looking more seriously at it.  Anyway... the shower is my worst enemy! I have found I get some relief with temperature... just before I get out of the shower I turn the water as cold as it will go and rinse my legs with it just before I get out. It doesn't always work but it does seem to help.  Maybe I should try putting ice packs on when it is really bad?!
I also have this same problem.  I have considered everything and I can't figure out anything that is causing my legs to get itchy.  I have used every type of lotion available and have consulted dermatologists about it, but they don't understand and can't seem to diagnose it properly.  I do find that moisturising regularly helps and I have started using Zinc lotions (used for diaper rash) which seem to soothe them a little, but even so, they start to itch.  Does anyone else notice that they're worse in cold weather?  I find that when the weather is warm and I'm in the sun, the itching usually stops.  

If anyone else can add anything, I would love to get more help with this, as it's causing me to wake up at night and bleed!
I find laclotion (NH4-lactate), prescription drug, noxema cream, and sarna lotion help.  I tried all sorts of creams, salves, cortisones, etc.
Sarna has the same ingredients (camphor and menthol) as noxema exc.  lower concentration and doesn't smell as much.  The noxema is better.  The laclotion is diff. and works as well or better than the sarna lotion.  I find it works best to apply them right after showering, even if the itch isn't then present.  (Individually camphor and menthol each seems to work some.)  Prevention is easier than stopping it.

I have experimented with applying both sarna and laclotion at the same time.  I also keep a can of pain dulling spray handy.   Unfortunately, the doctors don't help much.
Mine only happens when it starts to get warm out - I really hate the summer, heat and humidity because once it's skirt weather, my legs start itching - lower only, and if i barely scratch them it turns into welts and looks really red, even though there's nothing on my leg before I scratch. I looked at the other thread about this - doesn't happen after a shower, I don't wear nylons, happens with or without lotion, even when I use cortisone creams, and it's gotten so bad I wake up at night scratching with a brush. I'm wondering if it's a side effect from medications... none that I take list it, but since I've been on Ritalin the last few years I get sun poisoning easily when outside and prickly heat as well, on top of my legs itching. I love how everyone's been told something different from their doctors for the same thing, really boosts your confidence in the medical community, doesn't it?
My legs have been itchy every day since i was born. im 21 and i have always had itchy legs. when i was younger my family would all scream at me as once i started i couldnt seem to stop. the itching gets so bad that it annoys you and fustrates you and it becomes painfull.
My dad used to smack my legs where it was itching and it used to help but it didnt last too long only for about 5-10 mins and i would be scratching again.
Since i was little i was alway told that it was ezcema (eczema) but when i grew out of the ezcema (eczema) the itching did not stop.
i scratch every night- sometimes in my sleep. i cant control it - My family tried cutting my nails and tapping gloves on my hands. But i learned away to scratch with my toe nails just as good as my hands.
i have tried every steriod cream there is but nothing has ever helped. i feel the itching is slightly below my skin. i think this because i only satisfy the itch once i am bleeding.

its not stress related as i have changed jobs and i am not stressed. plus how could i have been stressed as a child! the reason i would get stressed is from the itching it is not the cause.

something that sometimes works for me is to pour salt into boiled water, mix it up. and wip my legs with the salty water. (this is only good for me once i have started the scratching and i have thined my skin down) i would let it dry and then go to bed. i find this sometimes stop the itching as it stings so it can satisfy the itch.

i also find that sometimes when i scratch certin areas there would eventualy be a raised pimple - i would squeese them and tweese out- white hard substance. which i believe is dry skin that is blocking the hair from rising. but this isnt always the case,
sometimes when i am itchy and my hairs are out i would tweese the hair and the itch would be below the root of the hair.

i would love somone to help me get rid of the full problem. i have many different medical problems.

- ashtma
-anaphlactic
-hayfever
- unable to loose weight
-cold feet- although its not a illness

hopefully if anyone else have any of the same problems. we can find if any of them are related to the itchy legs problem.

i suffer with this every night.
Hello fellow itchy folks.

I am an itcher from London and have suffered with this from about the age of 15. I seem to have all the symptoms mentioned already, waking up scratching as the itch is so bad, annoying my partner as I make my self bleed from scratching so hard and long, heat related scratching for sure like just out of the shower or bath, but any fabric brushing my legs or someone touching my legs starts me off - although as mentioned sometimes its nothing that starts it. I can be sitting with friends, in someones house, out to eat and the itching will start. I actually have to get up and go to the bathroom to have a good scratch!!!....it used to be just the bottoms bits, shins, calf muscles and front but now it has progressed to the whole legs so my scabs and scratches from slightly too long nails are gracing my cellulite ridden thighs too....WONDERFULL!!!

My Dad says he gets it from the heater in his car on the front of his legs ( he travels a lot on his veh ) but nothing as bad as mine. My boyfriend begs me to stop ( this cannot just be done ), my friend suggested slapping it ( I suggested slapping her ) and as usual I have swapped detergents, moisturisers, shower gels etc etc etc......

Even with my laptop on my laptop on my knee now I am starting to itch so I would definately agree with the heat issue but I also think that the cosmetics that some of us use may not help at all......

I would suggest getting away from certain additives in products, although the chemist /drug store ones are easily distributed they dont seem to be helping the issues having read some of the other postings here..I am sure you have all heard the hype bout cosmetic ingrediants and how harmful they can be...sodium lauryl/laureth sulphate, dimethylparaben (and the other parabens) , 1,4 Dioxane, propylene glycol (cheap availabe moisturser additive, suspected of causing sensitivity reactions ), I know sensitivity is only a small part to to with what we are all suffering from but vitally important to understand these additives if we want to eradicate or at least avoid the products that dont help, although they are all claiming they do - cant stres enough my itchy friends you must read labels to avoid anything that may cause your "itchy leg itch" to flare up....

My solution ( I use the term solution very lightly!!!! ) , which helps a lot more than anything else I have tried......."Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil.."....the organic bit of this is important as it denotes a slightly higher quality more beneficial to skin......( not usually manufactured for external skin use so not in "slippery hand friendly" bottles- but is easily de-cantable into something else though )...seriously though.....added to dry legs upon exiting ones preferred choice of cleansing be it tub or shower........rub it in and way you go......would suggest against a hot hot shower though. Have found a hot shower aggrivates my legs even more...

...and I HAVE TO SHAVE my legs every day...as they grow back they rub off trousers etc and cause another form of itchy...either this or let it all grow long......not nice....but having to shave means they are aggrivated due to the shaving process no matter how new the razor, but to stop them itching I have to keep shaving ...catch 22 or what!!!..

Anyho, hope this all helps a little and amuses a little more, hoping you all use your trotters and get yourself down to your local store for some oil....you could always have someone else rub it in for you...ooh err....good luck .....x x x

KittyKat
I suffer the same things...I have found what I think is the problem...aquagenic pruitis.  It fits perfectly with how my itch presents.  I have discovered that a really hot bath cures me.  A hot shower does not help.  I have to soak for several minutes in a very hot bath.  Research aquagenic pruitis and see if it fits your problem.  
I also suffer from  itchy legs. It happens before and after showers. Mostly in the evenings. Lotion helps at times but not always. Sometimes it keeps me up for hours. I have to leave the bed sometimes so I don't keep my wife awake all night. I've started to lean towards a circulation problem. It kind of relates to when you minimize circulation to a hand or foot and it results in that hand or foot falls asleep. The pins and needles are what it feels like some times. It also feels like flea bites, but I know there are no fleas. For that matter, there are no red marks or rashes anywhere. It's an odd mistery. I'm just glad that there are others out there so my wife will finally believe me. If anyone has any info that could help, Please post it. I'll be checking religously. This is the only site where I've heard from people with the same problem. Thnks for the mental ease.
Hi Sal,

I am a 47 year old female and I live in NC.  I have been amazed to find out how many people are actually suffering from this itchy leg problem.  Mine started about 2-3 months ago about two days after a shave.  Although I like to keep my legs shaved, I had actually gotten away with not shaving most of the summer by wearing long dresses/skirts or capris that covered the better part of my legs.   I felt a little depressed about it though as I hate hairy legs.  The high price of gas had severely limited my spending power but  finally I buckle down, buy some razors (Healthy Accents Twin Blade Plus lubricating strip for women) and shave my legs.  A couple of days later, I notice huge scabs on both my legs; couldn't figure out how I had gotten them; did not remember any injuries that could have caused it.  A day or two later I realized it must have come from the razors.  I did not feel any nicks or burns when I was shaving or afterwards.  I rarely take showers; almost always a tub bath and I noticed from then on when I would bathe,  my legs would start to itch when they were submerged, almost immediately.  I would try to soothe them by rubbing  with my bath cloth very vigorously.  They continue to itch when I get out and I scratch to the point of bleeding some times.  Now that it has started to turn cold I have been wearing stockings more frequently and I notice that when I take them off, my itching starts up again.   My legs look horrible.  They have large spots from where the scabs were and from subsequent scars created from the excess itching/scratching.  I get some temporary relief when I use pure cocoa butter creme.  Outside of that, I haven't tried anything else.  The culprit for me seems to be the razor I used since the problem was non-existent prior to that and also because of the hugh scabs it created.  I wasn't even aware I was being cut.  Has anyone else used this brand of razors?  
Hello, I too have also suddenly gotten itchy legs since I moved to London. I think very hot showers make it worse. the lipids are removed from the skin when the water is too hot. The hard water could also be a cause (?)
I have been suffering with the same problem. And just like everyone else I've been told that it will go away...use lotion...rinse your clothes an extra time..use an antihistamine...but nothing works. It is just my legs itching nothing else. Which is weird to me. If it was a reaction to something I would think I would itch all over. I mean I was my clothes in the same detergent. I have been very frustrated. It's been 3 years now and it gets more and more irritating. Someone told me that I might have bad circulataion...I've also heard a thyroid problem. But just like every one else all the doctors just brush it off as something little like dry skin and I know its not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura (26)
Florida
Hi Doc!!

I have goiter... do you think that's the reason why my legs itch a lot?.. it just started last month.. Help.. what should i do?

I'm glad to know i'm not the only one suffering from itchy legs. My problem is; I have red spots about the size of a dime that are dry and itchy. Why just spots? I have several below the knees and one a little bigger above my knee. I  hope this isn't something serious. Anyone else has this?  
I have had this problem for years, almost exclusively in the winter.  I tried everything to make it go away....taking cooler showers, patting dry with towel, using a moisturizer right after shower, using Sarna lotion when itching occurs, etc.  These things helped a little but I still had many nights where it was so bad I couldn't sleep.  

Then, a couple of years ago, I was going to the Cayman Islands for a 5 day vacation.  Since I sunburn relatively easily, and since I wanted to be very active outside, I did not want to have to cover up or go inside, especially since we were only going to be there a short time.  To maximize my time in the sun, I decided to go to a tanning booth to get a bit of a base.  I had never done this before, so I went for a half session (6 minutes), and then a couple of days later, another half session, and my itchy legs went away.  

Last year, I suffered all winter with itchy legs.  This year, in February, my itching legs were driving me crazy, so I went to a tanning salon.  Once again, after 2 half sessions, my itching went almost totally away.  I now go every other week, for a half session, and it has not returned.

I am not a tanner.  I actually wear a towel over my face and a shirt, because I am not interested in getting a tan, just stopping the itching in my legs.

This works for me, I have no idea whether it will work for anyone else.  
I too have had this condition for many years. It has affected my self esteem as well as my body. I don't swim at all and wear jeans or capris during the summers because the humidity seems to affected me as much as a shower will.
  I have lived in several parts of the country in my lifetime (all 34 years of it!) I've had the problem in Ohio, Mass. and Nevada. While living in Nevada The Condition slow faded away to a mere annoyance! Unfortunately for me I had to move to a more humid climate and it return in full force!
  The only thing that has worked for me to calm the icthing is to take 100mg of Benadryl and an Ativan before the shower usually followed by another Ativan and a stiff drink afterward!  I think that it calms me down rather than stops the problem, but I'm sure everyone reading this understands that ANYTHING that heps is a God send! Before I quit smoking I used to chain smoke for the 1/2 hour following my showers!  I wouldn't suggest taking up smoking as a cure though!
  I'm annoyed enough to see a Derm. again, I'm disappointed everytime by the "try a different soap" Just once I'd like them to assume I've tried that route already!
My last bit of advice is about soaps and such. I did find that AVEENO BODY WASH FOR SENSITIVE SKIN didnt aggravate my skin as much as most products. I also was given as a gift a bar of GOATS MILK SOAP that worked wonderful- no itching at all! But I don't remember who gave it to me to ask for more! I do remember it only had oatmeal as the additive, no fragrances, so I'll have to bite the bullet and try out a few!
Last but definitly the best is GOLD BOND ULTIMATE HEALING LOTION / ALOE This is the ONLY lotion I can use on my legs. I have never itched after using and it has done wonders for my ingrown hairs due to dryness!
Sorry this was such a long post - I've never written about dealing with this problem before and I found it catharic to do so!
If anyone whould like to contact me feel free www.***@****, just use something like "itchy post" in the subject area. I'd love to lend/receive support on this topic!
I have had this problem for years.  I decided it must have something to do with shaving and so, at the age of 50, I have started to have laser hair removal on my lower legs.  Low and behold, it seems to be working.  I rarely have the itching anymore.  And usually, it is just before my next session.  And the shaving that used to make the itching worse, doesn't anymore!  It is expensive but totally worth it if it makes that doggone itching stop.  

And I am really glad to hear I am not the only person who has this problem and itches until they bleed.  I always thought it was just me!
I actually wanted to comment on this thread http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/Itchy-legs--no-sign-of-rash-or-irritation/show/241193 but I couldn't figure out how so here I am...

For the past few months my legs have always been itching. There are no bumps or anything they just itch. They itch mostly on my thighs but sometimes on other parts of my legs too. I almost always have scratches too on my shins that I don't know how they got there, I figure it is from shaving. I don't think that my legs itching is from shaving though because I don't shave all the way up to my thighs. The only thing that seems to help the itching is lotion. This is how bad the itching is, last night I itched my leg so bad that now I have 5+ pretty deep scratches on my lower leg, and I don't even have sharp nails....
Check this out. I think it explains almost all of the itching problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquagenic_pruritus

I have suffered from itching on my thighs and lower legs for about two years now. I don't think that it is related to the contact with water, as listed in the wiki document, but the reaction that the water is having with blood circulation to your appendages. The stimulus of water beating or pushing against the skin or active jogging/walking causes an increased blood flow to your legs and feet, which results in the itching sensation after the motion has stopped (unknown as to the WHY of the itching sensation though). Also the action of washing your body or swimming through water (moving your arms alot) can cause itching in the arms for some people. The condition has very limited treatment options, most of them involving antihisthamines and cream lotions, none of which treat the cause for the condition, so they obviously cannot cure it (so far). Very little research has been done on this condition, so I would advise everyone who has been experiencing this problem to go to a dermatologist and talk to them about Aquagenic Pruritis, explaining your concern that it may be an internal condition and not just an outward reaction (the itching) to water.
For me it feels like the itch is INSIDE my leg, not on the outside, and I keep scratching and scratching because I can't reach the itch, eventually causing very small red bumps on the surface afterwards (but no rash) because of the damage I'm causing to my skin. I don't want to damage my skin anymore, so the sooner a cure is found, or at least a decent description of what the condition is and why it happens, the sooner all of us can start recovering! We will no longer have to live our lives AROUND the itch. We can eliminate it if we push for more research involving the issue of aquagenic pruritis, so go see a dermatologist and help bring light to this unknown condition that so many others like us are suffering from.

Thanks for your time.

~ Meg
Hi All,
I'm a mid-30s female in the Denver, CO area and I've had this lower leg itching problem for a few years now.  It has nothing to do with showering for me.  My legs just itch all the time and I scratch them until I bleed, even in my sleep.  My legs look disgusting and no amount of Neosporin makes the little scabs heal up.  Though I should buy stock in that company.  

Anyway, I have found two things that work to ease the itch.  I had to go to whole foods to get these things.  One is called LASTING TOUCH.  It sounds like an imtimacy product but it's not.  It's a topical, lotion-based anagelsic.  It keeps the skin mildly numb long enough to distract me from the itch and moisturizes at the same time.  It's especially great when the itch wakes me up so that I can go back to sleep.  The other product is called ARNICARE.  It is also topical and comes in lotion or ointment.  Of course, you should try the lotion as the ointment would only clog the pores.  This product is for muscle pain and bruising, but for me it has really reduced if not gotten rid of the itch, especially on my shins.

Also, I have started taking my showers not-so-hot.  And I always always moisturize after a shower while my skin is still damp.  Try to avoid lotions with mineral oil, dimethicone, or petrolatum as these clog the pores and can make matters worse.  

That's it for my remedies.  And they are a better alternative that scratching myself to the bone.  :)  Good luck and if anyone finds a cure, please post it!
Hi everyone,
I'm a 32 year old male, and had this problem on and off since I can remember.
During my teens, I had this itch almost always after taking a shower. Then, in recent years it seemed to have disappeared. Today I had a horribly intense itching episode after showering, and decided to check the internet for answers.
It's good to know that this isn't some unexplainable thing :)
I am so glad to hear you talk about your itchy legs being related to warm weather. For the past 20 years the back of my right knee has itched from July -September. I know this sounds really crazy but it is true. There are no rashes, no signs of any irritation and every year I forget about it until it starts. Today is July 3 and for the past 3 days I have done nothing except scratch the back of my leg. I've been to doctors and because there is nothing present, no one knows what it is. Some people ask if it somehow stress related or past trauma related and there is nothing. For me it is clearly weather related. The mystery is why only the back of my right knee?
It is a relief to hear I am not the only one. Yes, i think it is stress related to a point. The mind is a very powerful thing, and as soon as I feel the first twinges, I freak myself out so bad because I know it's coming and sure enough, those are the worst fits. Mine is pretty much only after showering or sweating, and it doesn't even matter if I shave or not. I remember sitting on my bed crying with packs of frozen veggies on my legs praying for relief! Always after about a half hr or so, it ceases as if it never happened. I found a few tricks that help: moisturizing an hour before showering, Aveeno anti itch lotions, and mixing Cortizone cream in with my lotion helps. But sometimes I think that just my thought of these "brilliant ideas" might trick my body into not itching...  I am not sure... while I think mentality does play a part, there's no denying that the itching/pins and needles is REAL and physical and we are not crazy!!!! Thank you ladies for making me realize I am not alone!
i'm cindy and i am also experiencing for what you have experiencing which is scratching my thigh beacause it is really itchy,...
i cannot wear shorts anymore coz it really looks so bad by scratching it always...it is so embarassing to wear a short and the thigh of my legs is still worsen,,,,,,,,,,,plz?????????????
help me.................... 2 solve this kind of problem..............

is anyone who can help me?????
i really appreciate if somebody can help me...

thnx"
Judging from my own lifestyle plus all the comments on this website, I believe the main cause of itchy shins is RADIANT HEAT .   This causes damage to the skin which is then irritated by any contact with all forms of chemical;, by any coarse or pilled materials chafing against the skin including bed sheets, particularly flanellette sheets, trousers, skirts etc that are not rinsed sufficiently;  more radiant heat.     CAR RADIATORS HEATING LEGS have to be a major cause here, so I turn my heater onto the windscreen only.    The sun, floor-standing ovens, all floor level fires, radiators etc can contribute to cause and aggravation I guess.    So my answer is to sit as far away as possible from all heat sources; I do not use fabric conditioners of any sort because they are not rinsed out; I wash clothing with soap powder for sensitive skin from Boots the Chemist.   I wear knee length shorts in the summer so that nothing chafes against my skin.    I lift my legs when moving in bed to lessen the effect of chafing against bed linen.      I also keep the heating down as low as is comfortable, including in the bedroom at night.    I use the minimum of soap powder and rinse thoroughly.   I also use ordinary soap, not gels, and my own personal sponge when bathing, rinse it thoroughly and dry it against a radiator before storing.    All this helps.    Prevention is probably the only answer here.   If I am correct then I believe this info should be made well known because there must be many people causing themselves damage from car radiators in particular.     Shins are exposed to the elements and all the above factors more than any other part of our anatomy?    More heat and/or more chemicals are the aggravators.
Hi girls, I'm a 55 year old bloke from London, UK, got the itchy lower legs this year, It gets very itchy in a hot bath, I can scratch like mad, but try to avoid doing so, I have asthma and take steroids (prednisolone), and thought this was causing it, but I see from the discussions all types of healthy people get it - it seems to be brought on or relieved by heat - which brings the blood to the surface - might be a dietary symptom, like too much sugar - I shall have to experiment and get back, doctors tend not to have a clue and just prescribe a load of stuff, they work by the 'try this, if that don't work try this' principle - anyway.. have rubbed olive oil over legs which helped. My other half reckons its candida, but she reckons everything is candida.
I went through this for years, but now I am itch FREE. I had tried everything and my doctor always said to take a cool shower because hot water makes you itch. Boy, was she ever wrong. Now, I make sure the bathroom is very warm, turn the water on as HOT as I can stand it, pat dry with a cotton towel, get dressed immediately in warm clothes and absolutely NO MORE ITCHING !!!!!!! I'm so happy. From the very 1st day I did this, there was no itching and before that , I would itch for an hour and think that I was losing my mind. I would curl up into a ball and scratch and cry and scream until I just couldn't stand it. But no more. I hope this helps someone else. I've never been so happy.
I have had this problem as long as I can remember. When I was little I would beg anyone and everyone to itch my legs for me. Now that I am 17 and in school, it's a little embarrasing. My boyfriend thinks I'm nuts and I get extremely weird looks in class. No lotion helps, and I always use a brush or comb to itch but the itching never subsides. It is usually when I lay down to go to sleep or when I'm not really focused on anything else. It's the worst thing ever to itch ALL the time. I have heard of restless leg syndrome and am going to suggest it to my doctor. I just can't help but think I sound a little crazy. Also, it itches really bad in the corners of my knees!
Hey guys...
I've had itchy legs for a long time now and its slowly getting worse.I'm a 21 year old female and I get it after having a shower, if my legs are exposed at all, or in bed or just sitting around relaxing and changes of temperature. Its mostly only my lower legs and its a horrible crawling/pins and needles feeling that is impossible to escape. I have found no cure only little rituals I do that help me cope with it. when showering I make sure the fan is not on and i like to have a really hot shower. I leave the shower door open so that the temperature doesnt change when i get out of the shower. as soon as i turn the water off i wrap a long towl around my legs and another around my arms. I dont pat dry at all I just stand there until im dry. Then i put long pants on as soon as i remove the towel.. I find heat a relief and wrapping up my legs. I can't wear shorts unless its really hot and shaving my legs is always an ordeal but something I just put up with. I don't get it after exercise because i find i hardly sweat.. instead i get a heat rash that is itchy but a different itch i can handle. Thanks to everyone who says its not stress related because i know it isn't.. its a horrible thing to have and i cant put any creams on my legs without itching and no medications work. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know..I dont think its a skin problem because its only the legs, it must be internal.. im considering hypnosis to see if it helps??

i am a 40 yr old man from england, i have had problems with itching my top left thigh, so much i itch through the blood. it feels good but i know its not doing me any good. i think the problem is spreading as now my other thigh is starting to show same symptoms and is itself itchy but not as bad as the left one. I think ive got a skin disease but darnt go to see the doctor. i had a similar issue on my left wrist although this has cleared up becuase i left it alone long enough. Im at my wits end, i itch in my sleep and it makes my wife unhappy with me moving around and fidgetting all the time. any advice please or any creams i can use that will clear it up once and for all.....andi
I get this a lot too! Its hard, because im a teenager and high school, and having scars and scabs all over my legs does not help. Especially when people ask! Its not far seeing all the other girls with beautiful tanned legs, while im trying to cover mine up with stockings, which itch like crazy!

Advantan is great, though you cant put it on too often. only like 1 week per month. Cetaphil is horrible, what ever anyone tells you do not try it ! It just makes the itch work. Bio-oil is slowly helping the scars, but you must use it twice a day for 3 months, but seeing that i have been put cream on my legs twice daily for around 7 years, its not much of a hassle.

I really really hope I helped one of our poor suffering souls!
I'm from Ireland, almost a year an half ago I fell pregnant, From what I can remember I think this itch on my lower legs only started then.. anyway its a sever lower leg itch that mostly effects me at night time. I said it to the midwives in the hospital an they said it could be to do with my kidney or liver so they done some blood tests, but they came back perfect, so I just carried on scratching everynight, sometimes i'd scrach that hard i'd rip skin off my legs an bleed, this often happens. so about a month ago I went to see my doctor, as I was at the stage that I could'nt take it anymore, I showed her my legs and she was shocked, she sent me for bloods too as she said it could be something serious and also she gave me some steroid cream and said if the itch does not stop within 2 weeks go straight back, but its has'nt stopped and again the bloods came back perfect.. I wish I could find out what this is, as it often effects my sleep and is ever so irritating.. I have just found out that I am pregnant again only about 5-6 weeks pregnant so now I wont be able to use different types of creams and things as I'm always told to consult a doctor first.
i have had this problem for about a year and i can not live with it anymore. the scratching keeps me up at night and absolutely every time i scratch, i leave my legs bleeding like crazy. they are all scarred up and are constantly covered in new scabs.  I have tried everything. my doctor thought it was scabies, keratosis polaris, eczema, stress related, weather related, and countless other diagnosis. i have been on multiple different pills, steroid creams, moisturizers, have changed soaps, detergents, the whole nine yards. NOTHING helps. it has become unlivable. i am a college student and can not sit through class without scratching uncontrollably. i haven't worn shorts at all this past year due to the scars and scabs covering my legs. someone please help
I have had this problem for years and found that heat of any kind and almost all lotions cause this.Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Body Moisturizer does not cause itching for me.  I can only get it online now.  Once my legs start itching, it takes a couple weeks to get it under control.
Hi..I have had this condition for years..actually i'm having a bout of it now. I was checked for everything, kidneys, hyperthyroidism, you name it, and everything came back fine. I saw a dermatologist, he said i had atopic dermatitis, but i have since come to my own conclusion after trying every available cream known to man..lol..that it isn't atopic dermatitis, it is fungal. I am now on a steroid cream and although i still itch like mad..the sores are clearing up. Unfortunately though, the cream has caused oil folliculitis, which apparently is quite common. They are little pimple like sores filled with white pus that pop up allover the fronts of my legs. You have to be careful not to break them open or you could get  a staph infection. The only thing that i have found to stop the itch were two things, a bath in epsom salt and/or a wet cold facecloth or towel that i store in a freezer bag in the freezer..feels so good, especially at night. To be honest..if you can stop scratching (I know, easier said than done), the spots will clear up on their own unless there's infection of some sort..but it's hard..especially if you're tired and the itching is driving you crazy. For me..I became absolutely obsessed with picking the scabs off. I hate to have anything on my skin, so i tend to pick pick pick and that only leads to infection, so if you can help it at all, leave it alone. The sun helps too..so if you can sit out in the sun for  abit, it will help...just be careful not to burn. Good luck...and remember, as soon as it clears up, keep your body moisturized all the time because the chances of it coming back again are high. Make sure you are getting enough rest too because it has been known to attack when your immune system is compromised or if you are stressed out. Take care!
I have this. I have been living with this for around 1 year now. And I've have been reading forums lately. One lady with similair side effects to mine. Said go gluten free! So today I have started a gluten free diet. Tonight i'm incredibly itchy and I'm hoping in the next two weeks, my condition improves slightly and I see a change in my legs and they finally stop itching.

It drives me crazy. My boyfriend sometimes has to hold me down, or hold my hands to stop me. And still then I try so hard to get free to just itch. It's terrible. My legs sometimes get that bad from scratching away at my skin that I refuse to wear shorts or skirts that show my legs because I'm embarrased.

I have tried everything. My doctor says it's from shaving. But one leg is worse then the other which makes no sense. If it was shaving it would be both. I itch so much that, I leave scabs on my legs, which puss up. And look like infected pimples all over my legs. It's disgusting.

I'm sick to death of hearing no explanation to why I am itchy, and having no creams, nothing work. So hopefully this gluten free diet is the answer to all my problems.
I think everyone with this problem should atleast try it. If your like me, you will try anything!
My case is exactly the same as yours - no outward signs of irritation - but extreme itching from the knees kown. I have some intermittent itching on portions of the arm and back/neckline area. It is 3:30 am and I was awakened by the itch.
Circulation could be an issue - I have had Tpe II diabetes for over a decade but never any condition such as this. I also have a "circulation issue" for some time - but never experienced the intense itching.
Hope there is an answer for us somewhere there in the medical community
Good luck
Hi. Sorry for continuing this, but it's important.

I'm 11 this year, and 11 years ago I had meningitis, for the best of a year. Then I got rid of it, and when I was 4, I started constantly getting itchy legs, and it got so embarrassing. Also, now when I sweat it gets worse. And a lately, there's this awful, spoilt girl in my class who makes fun of me in pe change. I am in the UK. So now I have this when I sweat, also not good for phys ed.. So I have to take Vaseline to pe class in my bag. Imagine what she's going to say to me then. I also got rid of eczema, 4 years ago. And I have chicken skin at the top of my arms. My mum says its rubbish when they say its a syndrome or disease. I get itchy legs for standing 3+ minutes. Any help is good. Thanks.
It has to do with seasons allergy. I have the same, I'm not taking any medicines, Ritrlin and all of those so not to worry.  Best thing to use is Alovera cream,  twice a day and right after a shower, avoid wearing socks for awhile and it will go away... until the next time. Pick a good cream remember that green is added color so go for the clear natural ones.

you may all laugh, but to all you itchy, no rash etc legs people, have you had a renal function test???????   I have chronic kidney disease, stage 4.(CKD).. I have had intensly ithy legs for about 3 years, never a rash but I will scratch till they bleed. Sends me mad especially of a night.  After 3 years I found out it is due to my ckd - weird I know but its a common symptom of it!!!!!  quick blood test is all it takes!