Dermatology Expert Forum
itchy raised bumps on tops of feet

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

itchy raised bumps on tops of feet
mmw
The tops of my feet have teeny raised bumps that are very itchy.  It started about 5 days ago when I felt a slight itch but didn't notice any rash.  Tho I've done my best not to scratch (and generally succeeded) it's gotten worse each day, and now the bumps, which first appeared on top of my toes, have spread a bit towards the middle of my foot.  I also find my feet quite swollen much of the day, although I generally am in a cool environment -- I am about 7 months pregnant, so had some swelling of the feet before, but it seems to have increased with the appearance of this rash.  My midwife told me she doesn't think it's pregnancy related. I've tried fungicidal cream (Canestan; Clotrimazole BP 1%) for a few days but it hasn't done anything.   Also, I've tried to keep my feet quite clean and dry since this appeared. I'm concerned that the rash itself or any creams/lotions could effect my fetus....Any thoughts? thanks, mmw
Doesn't sound fungal, which is usually below the feet or between the toes and more chronic.  It's probaby a mild eczema or heat rash, and pregnant women tend in general to be itchier.  I suggest using a lotion containing camphor and menthol--available without prescription in the US.  This is very effective at soothing itch and is safe in pregnancy.  Use it liberlly and often.

Good luck!

Dr. Rockoff
rum
I am also pregnant and have redness and now red bumps on my breasts  (it's been 21/2 months).  The doctor did say it was fungus and prescribed Spectazole 1%.  It isn't working and I am in pain.  Due to my HMO I got denied to get a refferral to a dermatologist.  It's not getting better and the docotor is not giving me anything except the Spectazole.  Please help!!!!!  If I don't get rid of this I can't breast feed.
thank you