Dermatology Expert Forum
itchy rash after sweating

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

itchy rash after sweating

Hello Doctor,
i have been experiencing a variety of skin problems since an exposure with HIV, that has since been ruled out by antibody test and viral load at 4 months. Either way I first started experiencing persistent kerastosis pylaris on my arms and lower sides, which I had before but not to this extent as my skin has been very dry everywhere. This has become better with the use of lotion everyday, however it or something else red and bumpy after the shower has manifested on my forearms. I don't know what to do. Now the real problem has been lately when I have gotten sweaty of started to work out I have been experiencing prickling needle sensations all over my body, arms, but, and legs that kind of sting for a split second. It makes me not want to exercise. These sensations have no rash or spots to them they just kind of bug me. They are not present when I am not hot. Is there anything I can do? Any ideas into my dermatologic conditions? for the kerastosis, the dry skin, and the prickles? I have already been on prednisone, hydrocortisone, and antifungals, nothing seems to help besides lotion. Thank you doctor I appreciate the service you provide.
Keratosis pilaris fluctuates in intensity on its own.  I don't think  HIV has anything to do with it.  I do think that your anxiety over a possible connection is making you pay more attention to it than you have or need to, and that in turn is no doubt behind these prickly sensations.  My suggestion is to lotion them up and otherwise ignore them.  I see no need for prednisone, antifungals, and so forth.  In fact, I think such treatments are likely to be not just useless but counterproductive, since they reinforce the notion that you have something when you almost certainly have nothing.  Check with a dermatologist if your symptoms persist.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
This whole HIV exposure and bad skin started with me getting an erythema multiforme rash on the top of my hands feet and knees, I was not taking any medication at the time, but had sexual encounter 5 days previous to the rash. I then have since tested negative for HSV1 and 2 and HIV, any ideas into this rash and could it possibly be associated with HPV?