itchy rash on ears and neck, now puffy, tingling face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I noticed a slight rash on my ears a week ago, a couple days later it had spread to the back of my neck and into the hairline at the back of my neck and above my ears.  A doctor prescribed cephalexin for cellulitis even though the symptoms aren't presented.  The rash is dry and feels coarse and bumpy.  The drug doesn't seem to be helping, nor does the Benadryl I'm taking to manage the itch.  I've been taking the drug for only 4 days.  I've still got the rash but now my face is quite puffy and it, my lips and the front of my neck are burning/tingling and the skin all over my face feels really coarse.  No new foods, no new cosmetics, no new shampoo or detergents.  Haven't been bitten by anything.  I've never suffered from seasonal allergies.  HELP!

Tags: itchy rash, ears and neck
ABCD (AirBornContactDermatitis) can present like this.Any exposure to plants?
The timing does coincide with the yearly weeding, pruning and planting of the flower beds; however the rash started the day before gardening started.  If it's dermatitis would a hydrocortisone cream help?
It does, but facial area one should exercise great care, for even mild steroids lead to skin atrophy applied for more than a few days.
Do consult your doc. ok?
Yes, I'll definitely be going back to the doctor if the 7-day course of cephalexin doesn't help.  Thanks so much for your advice!