itchy red bumps
I have been having itchy bumps over my skin on the arms, legs and neck since past 2 weeks. They appear in 1 or 2 in number and stay for 2-3 days and go away and then some new bumps appear on a new area of the skin. I have been using hydrocortisone cream for the area to relieve itching but it doesnt seem to help much. I have not had any insect bites recently nor are there any bugs in my house.Please help.

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or insect bites. Nothing can be said with absolute surety without having a look at the lesions.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for the symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.