itchy red patches on finger

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy red patches on finger

I have a rash on my left first finger that has taken over my entire top of the finger. its hard to explain. it is like pea sized welts that turn white when i scratch vigorously. and then i have tiny red dots all over the back of my hand that don't bother me its just the finger. it is also on my right hand but not nearly as severe and i have had it for about a week now. I have gotten something similar under my wedding ring in the past and it eventually went away. I just don't know what to do and i don't have insurance. i dont think its spreading and i don't think its contagious but i don't want my 7 month old to get it if it is.
From the symptoms,it sounds like dyshidrotic eczema. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.
I hope that helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.
thanks i will look into it although now i am noticing the same little red bumps on my daughters face and on her waist line. not sure is this is coincidence or something catchy.
here is the  picture of the rash i have. i do not think its a great picture but its the best i could get.
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/ashgrant19/?action=view&current=Photo-0225.jpg sorry heres the link

Unfortunately the picture could not be opened.But as you have said in your recent post that your daughter is having similar sort of lesions,so I would suggest you to consult a dermatologist soon and get scabies ruled out. Rash in scabies is usually found in the folds of skin and they are red blister like rashes.Yet they are very itchy and can disrupt life.

Diagnosis of scabies is made by scraping the skin and viewing the material under a microscope to see the characteristic mite or eggs.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Warm regards.