itchy red peeling skin on face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy red peeling skin on face

My doctor diagnosed me a few years ago with dermatitis and prescribed me a cortizone cream. I get random red bumps that itch and that seems to help. Yesterday I woke up with a large patch of peeling dry skin on my cheek and a little patch on my other cheek by my mouth. Today my whole face is itchy and when I scratch it it flakes off like dandruff. I havent changed anything like detergent or washes. Now it is red and burns along with the flaking and peeling. Any ideas?
This itchy red dry and peeling skin can be due to eczema. Try decreasing water and soap contact, and start applying emollients. Topical steroids are almost always needed to control the symptoms. You can use mild steroid cream and if the symptoms persist then high potency steroids and oral steroids may be needed. For the itching antihistaminic like Benadryl can be taken.

My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist to get the diagnosis confirmed. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.