itchy red rash on glans(glands) penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy red rash on glans(glands) penis

About a week ago I noticed a little red dot on the head of my penis, which I thought nothing of. It didn't hurt or itch at all. Since then, more dots and bumps have appeared, turning into an itchy red rash on the head of my penis. Reading about similar problems online, I have stopped masterbating (masturbating) and starting using 'sensitive skin' soap to wash my penis, but the rash hasn't gone away. The bumps are numerous, blood red and about 1mm in diameter. I am 16 and sexually active, though I've not had unprotected sex. Thanks
Avatar n tn
ok, further reading into this suggests that i might have a case of mild balantis. if this is the case, any recommendations for prevention/treatment? thanks.

It does seem to be a case of Balanitis. Balanitis is inflammation of the glans (glands) penis. If the foreskin is not retracted (in uncircumcised individuals) and the penis not cleaned under the foreskin properly, infection and inflammation of the surface of the glans (glands) penis can occur.

The environment under the foreskin is warm and moist, and these conditions often favor the growth of the organisms that cause balanitis. It results from an overgrowth of organisms (typically yeast or fungi) which are normally present on the skin of the glans (glands).
These organisms are especially likely to multiply and cause inflammation if moisture is allowed to persist under the foreskin. This may occur if you have not washed for a couple of days, or sometimes after sexual activity.

The treatment is with application of anti-fungal creams like Monistat, to be applied on the affected areas. It will help to prevent irritation of the skin if soaps and other creams/gels are not in contact with the glans (glands) till the rash has subsided.
If it remains unresponsive to the anti-fungal, then you can apply a mild Corticosteroid ointment on the glans (glands) for a short period till the inflammation subsides.

ref:http://mens-health.health-cares.net/balanitis.php

hi
I seem to have the same as jake im around nis age and sexually active. What treatment is there? Would just washing better get rid of it?? And if left untreated what can happen??