itchy scalp and rash on back of neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy scalp and rash on back of neck

i have had a itchy scalp for 2 months and now i have a rash on back of neck and is itchy.i just went to my doctor today and she said i had head lice WRONG!!! if i had head lice i would be infested with them and so wouldn't my family.i have tried t-gel,head and shoulders,scalpacin and taking benadryl.i do have a little bit of dandruff and the tops of my ears itch.i looked at the pictures for seborrheic dermatitis and my head does not look like that i have a few scabs and the rash on my neck that just came on there this past week.i DO NOT HAVE HEAD LICE she doesn't know what she is talking about.she said i had a few nits and when she showed me what she found i said please that is dandruff she said she couldn't find any live ones.hello that is because i don't have HEAD LICE!! so what do you think could be wrong with me? this itching and scratching is getting on my last nerve!!
Is is just in one or two spots? I have these two spots on my head that are just driving me nuts. And I also know its not Head Lice. I've had them when I was younger. It itches all over all the time. What I have is just in two spot. I thought maybe since my daughter had ringworm a couple months back that that might be it, but the medicine only works for alittle while.  I haven't seen a doctor regarding this yet, but I'll guess I'll have too. It won't go away, and it's driving me nuts. Also it doen't look to good constantly scratching my head at the office. If you find anthing out please let me know.
I have the exact same thing that you have.. A couple of weeks ago I got sick with sinus infection and had a fever so my doctor prescribed an antibiotic  "AMOXTR-K CLV"  during my 4th day of taking it i noticed my head starting itching and then the back of my neck and also top of my ear, so I called my doctor and he told me to stop taking the medication and instructed me to take Benadryl for the itch.  I did exactly what I was told but rashes and itch still didn't stop.  When I felt better I went to my doctor's office and showed him the rashes, he told me that it was "medicine rash" and he prescribed "MethyPREDNISolone" and instructed me to take it with Benadryl which I did.  But as soon as I'm done with the medication the rashes and the itch came back..It is so annoying especially it keeps me up at night.
Doctors NEVER know what a rash is. They just guess. I have the same thing and was told I had Foliculitis (folliculitis). I was given an antibiotic and some antibiotic/antibacterial cream and two weeks later I still have the rash and it itches like crazy. I can't afford to keep going back to the doctor so they can guess a new rash diagnosis.
I'm the girl who wrote the post on Clindamycin.  Been having the same issues.  Has anyone got any answers?  I'm afraid this will never go away.
I have the same itch of the neck, scalp and the back of my ear and now I started itching on the eylids. It is very irritating. It starting to effect my daily life because I am too busy scratching throughout the day, not to mention I am losing a lot of hair loss I am shedding like shaggy the dog.
Help!
I have the same problem...the eyelids are the most annoying, but I never wear my hear up because of the rash on my scalp.  Cortizone cream no longer helps and nothing seems to make it go away! Any answers/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
I have the same problem - itchy scalp, neck, ears and eyes with a rash for like a month. I started taking celexa a month ago and the problems started. When I went to the dermatologist she told me that is "highly unlikely that I have an allergic reaction to the medication because of the distribution of the rash" and she suggested taking a biopsy from my neck for analysis to rule out inflammatory immune diseases. Guess what - the biopsy came back pointing that I had an allergic reaction to the medication regardless of the distribution of the rash. I am on prednisone for the rash and itching for 9 days and stopped taking the celexa.The rash and itching is gone for now.

I have the same issue
My doctor gave me a low dose steroid cream which gave me immediate relief
the cream isn't a diagnosis, but it relieves the symptoms
good luck!
I know exactly your issue. I am a licensed cosmetologist and had the same thing. You are allregic to your shampoo or conditioner. Try using Aveno oatmeal shampoo and conditioner.  You may have to use the shampoo for about 2 weeks before it goes away completely.Once you are clear use something a little more natural like Abba, Sojaun, or something from you local whole foods store. I went through the breaking out in bumps, itching and dandruff for a long time before I figured it out.
I agree.

I have the same issue and apparently it is an allergy to the sulphur in the shampoo. Sometime wine has a bad effect on me as it has sulphur in it as a preservative. My itching has got worse due to stress: my dad died suddenly 6 weeks ago.

Will try Aveno if it is SLS free.
I am having the itchy bumps on my neck and scalp also. I have been using the shampoo and hair products for 8 months to a year and never had any problems.  Is it possible to develop an allergy after that long of a time?  It is embarrassing to constantly digging my head, I know its not lice because I have everybody and their mother check my head.  Can anybody give me any ideas.
Wow I'm glad I'm not the only one... I've had the itchy scalp, back of the neck, ears, & eyelids. It's driving me nuts & benadryl isn't helping!  I also took clindamycin recently but stopped taking it almost 2 weeks before the rash started.. I've been using the same shampoo & conditioner for months & haven't had this problem.  Has anyone else had success w/ otc creams or meds?
I also have the same symptoms on the back of my head and neck and I also get outbreaks on my shoulders, my back, random spots on the back of my legs, and my elbow/ forearm area.
I have had these symptoms for about 6 months, have been to 3 different doctors and have tried steroids and eliminating possible allergens.
Do you think this could be from my long term use of zoloft?

Help - the itching makes me miserable!
I also have a rash on my neck and scalp.  It started out as a very itchy scalp, particularly behind the ears. My whole family inspected each other for lice - nothing.  No one else has the scalp itch.   A few days of scratching and wondering, it started spreading down onto my neck with very itchy bumps appearing.   My husband has re-inspected me for lice several times. I wondered if it was an allergic reaction to hair dye but it doesn't make sense since my hair was dyed over a week and a half ago.  I've never heard of an allergic reaction that delayed.  I go to the same hair dresser and I don't think he used any new product on me. I haven't changed shampoos or anything else recently. My mother thinks it is due to stress.  I have taken benadryl and used topical aveeno lotion to relieve the itching.  I've switched to mild baby shampoo with tea tree oil added, and also doing a leave-in vinegar rinse in case it is some kind of bacteria or fungus. I will let you know if it works.  
Omg, I thought I was all alone dealing with this issue! I can't even afford to see a dermatologist.  With me it started out in October.  I had my hair cut and the back neck began to itch I thought because of the hair touching my neck.  My hair started falling out more than usual and the itchy scalp began.  I paint my hair and haven't because when I do it itches the first day so, I've even had to deal with grays growing in... The back of one my ears has begun to itch and the skin feels weird.  The itching is horrible and scratching makes my skin irritated and red and swelled.  Last night, I began to experience itching on one of my eyelids! It continues to itch.  I purchased so many over the counter products and spend over $30.00 in products that burned when applied to the back of my neck.  This is really starting to affect me and I'm not sure what else to try? I'm so frustrated and don't think I'll ever find relief.  The money spent on over the counter products which were discarded could of easily gone towards a dermatologist but hearing everyone else here is it even worth it? I want this gone, not temporary relief.  I can't wear my necklaces and I'm embarrassed how my red and irritated my neck looks.  Ugh, I hope there's something out there that might bring permanent relief to this really annoying issue.
Has anybody figured it out yet? I also have all the same symtoms (symptoms),. itchy head, back of neck bumps on the front of my neck, but no lice! My mother thinks I am paranoid, Ive had her check my hair so often, even with a magnifying glass!-but theres nothing there. the doctor prescribed me aqueous cream and coal tar shampoo, and it worked for a short time but not in the long run. I only use natural shampoo- at the moment something from the dead sea 100% organic, which is really expensive, but isnt helping.... I use aloe vera on my skin and if I need anything else, only pure natural, still no joy. Recently Ive noticed my eyelids getting really dry and itchy and at times the tops of my ears. Its wierd because I think I can feel something moving or something but there isnt anything there, sometimes I think I can feel every strand of hair on head when it touches my skin...its getting ridiculous.
Do any of you use Gain laundry detergent.  I was having the same problem itchy scalp, eyelids, tops of ears.  Then it spread to my limbs.  I thought it was ring worm so I was washing my sheets every day and new towels every day.  It just got worse.  Finally went to the Dr and she did a scrape test for fungus (which ring worm is) and it came back negative.  I`ve always had sensitive skin, so when I mentioned we had switched to Gain, she said that could be it.  Went home washed everything in cheer, and got some rx cream to soothe the itch and pain, and it cleared up in days!  I read online that other people are very sensitive to Gain as well.
I hope alot of you read this.  I, also have this problem, however I believe I MIGHT have just figured it out.   DEMODEX MITES!!!!!!!!!!!     It all started after I took antibiotics as well.  I also had another weird parasite infection and an infection which I think is the root cause of getting these.
   They live in almost everyones eyelashes and/or
hair roots, however when your immune system is depleted, they can  multiply like crazy and spread causing  the itchy scalp and neck, back, ears, eyes, etc.   I got better from basically trying every remedy I could and finally got better after months of suffering.  I couldn't believe it when all these crazy symptoms started again.....BUT...I had a URI and took antibiotics again and then was out in the sun and that seemed to trigger it.  I read that you can use Selsun Blue (due to the sulphur) (put on your dry
scalp and hair and affected areas for 1 hour and then wash off.
to kill some of them off and I used it tonight and boy what a difference.  When I rubbed the skin on my neck globs of gunk was stuck to my neck which when I rubbed came out with the hairs. My neck and back are very smooth now and feel much better.  Hopefully this was the solution and they will be under control again.  I hope this info helps.
yes I too have had a huge reaction to Gain, which is not my regular detergent but I bought it because it was on sale. I do have senstive skin and when I first opened it I thought the smell was rather strong but I continued to use it cause I didn't want to waste it (or the money I'd spent buying it) but never again.
Thanks for the tip. I, too suffer from all of the above symtoms (symptoms) the others describe. I was attributing the itchy scalp, which is all over, and the ears, and bumps on the neck, to seasonal allergies.  I moved from a different area in Texas to the area by the ocean, with high humidity, it is awful. Since I relocated by the ocean, every October I start this intense itching in my scalp, ears, and neck. Yet, I also have taken antibiotics for a UTI. Then again, I have taken antibiotics more than 6 times this year, without the itching.  The allergist in my area are all elderly drs., and perhaps they have been seen many things, yet I am hesitant to go to them.  The good thing is: after about 2-3 months pass, and the itching does go away. Perhaps allergies, perhaps not. Definitelly frustrating, miserable, and itchy...
Hi Lucy- how did everything work out? I am suddenly experiencing the same issues and wondered if it might be hair dye, but it has been several weeks since I had it done. I have never had this before and I am 54 years old, so it came as an unpleasant surprise.
Hi I am  M 42 and have dogs that sleep on my bed the back of my head started to itch and for months now I got the flue and took antibiotics  then that was over a month ago under a bit of stress very healthy working long hours running a bulldozer and all of a sudden my fore arms stared itching  a few days into the job  they are raised if I rub / itch them different size bumps and bright red skin. I have not changed anything laundry soap food etc. I think I am going to go to the emergency room tomorrow, my dog started to occasionally start chewing an ichy spot about the same time I think I and her have mites I read another post  and the guy went to the doc and checked for them and he is cured.
Mine started itching pretty bad on the back of my neck on an old tattoo, then went up to my scalp around my hairline and behind my ears.  after 6 weeks I went to urgent care and was told it was Petorisis Rosea, and that I had a spot of it on my lower back as well.  I was perscribed  two creams, one anti bacterial and one hormone, to just treat the symptoms, They dont know what causes it, its not contagous, and it can last for a while (normally 3 months) then just goes away. Mine almost went completely away, then came back again.  I am convinced that it is brought on by/made worse stress.
However, I am still looking for another answer or diagnosis that has a better 'fix' to it rather then just riding this out....I get insane with the itch!!!
I am also alergic (allergic) to sulphyr drug and was unaware that it is in most shampoo, so I will be switching that now too, along with luke warm oatmeal baths and a ton of unpurfumed/dyed heavy lotion.  seems to help me out a bit.  Hope this helps you out.  (and the dr diagnosis seems correct, besides the fact its on the head and neck)
i'm going to try this. this itching started for me right after my daughter's wedding on feb 10, 2013. it's driving me insane!! i'll update my results. thank you
I am going thru the identical same thing as you!!! It is driving me nuts also.
The Doctors have a gold mine here and someone should be aware of whats going on here but who do you tell....ive been to the Docs-watersedge derm 3 times and have bought and tried different lotions and creams...now ive lost my job and insurance and cant afford to go back and problem still their itchy neck and ears and sometimes rash on cheeks tried to get them to do a bi-op but they said you dont want that yet it would involve a 1/4 inch cut in my face what I didnt know at the time is they dont care about treating me but setting up a new appointment was #1 to those Dicks....try this and come back....try this and come back im late for my tee time...if you go to Docs ask them about bi-op and bet they tell you not a good idea...07/13/2013
I have same problem but i had quit eating yeast sugar anything with vinegar in it and cheese and took probiotics then i quit now my hive sinus pressure and body pain is back i have yeast problems do to doctors giving me steroids and anti biotics it caused me leaky guts and yeast rashes  can ruin your organs
I have had issues with an itchy scalp in the past. When it gets itchy I'll get the red sores and sometimes minor bleeding that some of you have mentioned. The best thing I have found for this is to use tee tree oil shampoo. Washing my hair with this will usually get rid of the itch and rashiness within 1-3 shampoos. I use Nature's Gate tea tree calming shampoo. The itch goes away right away with the first shampoo, the redness usually within 2-3 shampoos. I have tried other commercial brands of tee tree oil shampoo and not gotten very good results, I think they don't have a high enough concentration or something. Hope that helps!
That helps and makes sense. I started using a new shampoo and conditioner and a few days later started with the itchy scalp and the bumps on the neck and around the ears. I've stopped using the new  Suave shampoo and conditioner with Almond and Shea butter. Anyone else used this shampoo and had an allergic reaction??
My rash just sprung up one day and the itching was horrid.  I scratched my legs, arms and chest until they bled.  
After one month, Doc says: folliculitis.  Easy way out to prescribe antibiotics.  Of course that was a waste of time & money.
After 4 months, went to dermatologist who put my on Cyclosporine.  That didn't work either.  Nor does anything else, topical or ingested.
After 9 months, went to another doc who said 'I don't know'.
After 11 months of this torture, at least 90% of the rash on arms, legs and back gone, leaving small circular scars where the rash 'ate' the epidermis.
Today, rash is just on chest and back of neck - driving me crazy.
Trying new, over-the-counter products and will report back to you later.
Brutal - this is not an STD, but the viral infection just won't go away.
We can become allergic to things even it we didn't use to be. My mom had the same thing. We stopped coloring 8 months ago. .I am a stylist too. She is 87 and had this itching for years. Its still bad. I think what the stylist said above is the best answer. Shampoo and get the organic without sulfers. GO TO A ORGANIC STORE LIKE WHOLE FOODS, GRASS ROOTS, LAKEWINDS.....I do not know the names of these places in your town or state.  NOT GNC.  Best to you Lori
I also have the same issue and symptoms. I've tried everything. My dermatologist said it was dermatitis. He told me to use Selson Blue. Didn't work either. I want it gone, I've had it sense I was a teen and now I'm 39. Please someone help me!!!
1]you all people are careless
2]you dont follow rules
3]many of u have psycho type behaviour
4]every problem is solved is ur right
5]say ur problem and i will try to find solution
9823260643 vinod
reading about the itchy neck(nape), back of ears etc struck a possible cause in my head: I make that all that itching is the direct result of irritated skin, I mean an initial irritation triggered by personal hygiene or something like that. in another version, if you use exfoliating soaps, creams and the like, but your skin type is say, sensitive, oily ughhh, well you probably caused the itching inadvertently, cos while your skin needed to be treated mild there you were 'scouring' it into irritation.lol. I mean come on, isn't it logical though, take sponges for instance, if you use a hard coarse sponge, then apply over force while scrubbing with them during a bath, and on a soft, delicate and not forgetting sensitive area like 'nape of neck', well the effect from that is not hard to imagine. here's my take, people with soft and sensitive skin should endeavor to use exfoliating soaps or creams, facial and body bath scrubs, sponges less often or possibly never at all. to resolve the problem stop using any of the aforementioned for now, say for the 2 weeks minimum, bath say once a day( or twice but remember no hard body washing, just mild stuffs okay), avoiding any activity that could result in sweating ( cos you may want to increase the length of time you stay fresh in a day - all day will be even better.lol), try to avoid resting the back of your head on dusty, soggy, or anything dirty; put on clean underwear and clothing( if you accessorize with scarfs, endeavor to don clean ones only); stay in well ventilated rooms - especially during night sleep; also, check if you recently started any dieting - including certain new fruit intake etc, cos you might be starving your body of the nutrients it was used to and inadvertently giving a certain type that its not; oh yeah, make sure your hands are always clean. now about the theory of hair being a likely cause, well it might hold but you'd want to have the hair up throughout the recovery period, you could find out if it were after the healing is completed.and yes, I do agree that medication as a result of allergic reaction could have come to play, especially if taken wrongly or improperly, so my advice would be to stop the medication in the mean time applying an effective balm to the skin affected regions. not forgettings, always sleep on decent bed lining, pillow covers etc.  since it wasn't always there, something definitely brought it and if you follow these tips well enough you certainly will figure it out alongside having your relieve.PS, gym towels and toilet towels must be clean always!
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers