itchy scapl

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy scapl

I have a very itchy scalp with no dandruff, flaking, or visible signs of anything.  I asked a dermatologist and she had no answers.  My hairdresser says I have nothing of note.  It is a little better right after washing my hair but by that night I am scratching.  Is sulfate free shampoo supposed to help with this?  
Tags: scalp
Avatar dr f tn
Itching in the scalp can be very troublesome and embarrassing. The causes of itching in the scalp are dandruff, dermatitis, scalp psoriasis, folliculitis, and ringworm of scalp or any other fungal and bacterial infections of the scalp. Lack of hygiene, overuse of chemical hair products, scalp sunburn and stress all increase the chances of developing this condition. Combing the hair 5-6 times a day may increase the scalp blood circulation and may provide some relief. Choose shampoos with ph between 4.5 to 5.5.Treat the cause. I sincerely hope it helps.
Best of luck and regards!