itchy/sensitive skin
for the past month, my skin has been very sensitive.  It has been itchy and if i scratch it, my skin gets really red and i start to break out in a rash/hives if i continue to scratch. i was wondering what this could be do to? i read somewhere that the winter is a possible cause? ive been using aveeno lotion to try to keep my skin moisturized but it does not really help much.
Itchy skin that isn't accompanied by other obvious skin changes, such as a rash, is most often caused by dry skin (xerosis). Other possibilities are of psoriasis, dermatitis, lice, scabies and hives, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders, diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals, wool, soaps, cosmetics and certain foods .
Take some antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin and apply some calamine lotion on the rash. Also wear cotton clothes and apply good quality moisturizers. If the symptoms persist then please get it examined from a dermatologist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.