itchy skin, red marks left when scratched, after trip to brazil

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I went to Brazil for 1 month and upon return, my skin was really itchy.  When I scratch, my the area of skin that I scratched grew red and elevated, like a big welt (but only exactly where I scratched).  It has been painfully itchy and goes in waves.  It has gotten better over the last few weeks, but my skin is still really sensitive.  I did get a lot of sun in Brazil, so I thought that my skin was just sensitive from the sun, but it looks like there is more to it than that.  Has anyone ever experienced this before?  What do you do to stop the itching and get your skin back to normal?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Try to avoid scratching to prevent secondary infection. Cold packs, anti-itch creams and lotion, or  over-the-counter antihistamine medications may help provide relief.  Pruritus or itchy skin may be due to dry skin, irritation, or infection.  Moisturizing regularly may also help. If it persists, have this evaluated further by your doctor for proper management and to rule out other medical conditions such as diabetes,  infection or  hormone problems. A complete medical history and physical examination will help with the diagnosis. The resolution of your symptoms will depend on the underlying condition present.

Take care and keep us posted.
Thanks, Rowena!  That really helps.  Is there a type of lotion that you think is better than others?  Some friends say that natural lotions (with naturally moisturizing oils, etc) are better for the skin, but others say brands like Neutrogena or Eucerin are the best.  THese products typically have petroleum in them, which I have heard it kind of "addictive".  Does the skin get used to moisturizers and then depend on them?  I have really dry skin, but maybe my skin would get better if I just stuck it out and got used to not using moisturizing lotion?  What do you think?

Thank you so much for your help!!!