Dermatology Expert Forum
large brown spot on topside of tongue

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

large brown spot on topside of tongue

I got a sore throat 4 days ago.  It is the worst in the morning and gets better during the day only to reappear in the morning.  Tonight I noticed a large brown spot (about 3/4 inch long by 1/3 inch wide) on the top of my tongue, toward the back of my mouth.  There is slight tingling, as if it had been burned by hot food.

I am wondering what this is?
I really don't know.  Maybe it is a burn.  I don't recall ever seeing a large brown spot on the tongue.  You will need to show it to someone, perhaps a dermatologist or dentist.  Since it must have come recently--it seems it would be hard to miss for very long--it probably represents some irritation, though that's just a guess.  It may be related to a virus causing the sore throat.  Either way, probably not serious, but needs to be examined in person.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff