Dermatology Expert Forum
leg rash?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

leg rash?

I have been walking 4 to 4 1/2 hours once a week (I am on Strike and walk a picket line). I have developed a rash on both legs from the ankles up to just below calf.  It is bright red covers huge areas. It looks like someone took a blow torch to it. I have trated it with 1% hydrocortisone and it goes away after 4 or 5 days. As soon as I start walking again it reappears and covers a bigger area each time. i thought it might be from colored socks,but have been wearing white lately. I also thought it could be sun poison, but I have been doing this at night. It itches and burns right now. i have no insurance. I am 43 weigh 280. Taking high blood pressure medicine, zocor,zoloff.
Could this be Fleabiteus, circulation problems, or something to do with the pants I am wearing when I walk (black nylon)?
thanks
My best guess is that you have eczema.  This condition can affect any part of the body, but the ankles and calves are common.  You don't mention itch, but eczema would be quite itchy.  It would also respond to hydrocortisone, which you say is the case with you.

Sun and dye allergies are, as you suggest yourself, unlikely.

Despite your lack of insurance, you may want to invest in the single visit it would take to have a skin doctor tell you what you have for sure, and prescribe the kind of cream which will rapidly and reliably control it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi there.  Have you any underlying medical conditions or have you been on any medication prior to the symptoms you describe?

Every so often I develop a rash on my elbows, feet, hands (top and underside), tops of my thighs (on the outside) and buttocks (the seating bit). It's like lots of small red spots that start off as raised bumps then eventually progress and merge into red blotches. Sometimes it will hardly itch, but other times - particularly at night) it will itch and burn.
I only developed this about 2 months ago when it started as bumps on my fingers and knuckles and dismissed it as a heat rash that I get every so often. I've gone to the Doctors twice about it and he can't diagnose what it actually is, he just gives me steroid creams to apply thinly 3 times a day.
Not only does it look horrible it is very uncomfortable and at my wits end with what to do about it. It's not an allergic reation as I have not eaten anything different or changed soap powder/body wash, etc.

I'd appreciate any advise you could give me as to what it could possibly be or how to get rid of it.

My Father has had a rash on his leg for about a year.  The doctor prescribed a ointment but it seemes to just get worse.  It's located from his calve to his ankle, which it just looks like serious open wound rashes.  It's very itchy.  He has tried putting lots of lotion to keep it moist but no matter what he does, it still bothers him.  How can get this to go away?  HELP!!!!
i have a weird rash on both my legs, it started on the inside of my knees and in a day it has spread to my whole legs from my knees down. the small bumps are spread randomly and very itchy, please help me