Dermatology Expert Forum
lip discolouration
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

lip discolouration

Myndaughter is 13 yrs old and her lower lip got discoloured , become fade pink, look like inner part of lip color. It is a u shaped patch in middle of lower lip.
I am worried whether it is vitiligo but the color is pink , not white. no other body part has any discolouration.
Related Discussions
1760307_tn?1313521269
Dear Ambalika,

Thanks for posting your query. It would have been very helpful if I could see a picture of the lesion. However, I will try to provide my opinion based on your description. There seem to be two possibilities here. One is pre-vitiligo and the other is a allergic contact dermatitis or inflammatory response to something that she is licking. A less likely possibility is cheilitis.

I would be able to help you better if you can give me some more information:

1) How long has she been having this patch?
2) Does she often lick her lips?
3) Does she have any symptoms other than the pink patch on lower lip?
4) On giving firm pressure, does the lesion becomes de-pigmented/white?
5) Does she have a thyroid disorder?
6) Is the lesion soft to feel or is there any kind of hardness felt?
7) Does she habitually lick a pencil or pen while studying?
8) Any history of photo-sensitivity (itching or burning when she goes out in sunlight)?
9) What’s her normal skin color?

Kindly get back me to with the above information so that I can suggest you better. Perhaps she should also be clinically examined by a competent dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Bharat Chawda
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank