Dermatology Expert Forum
lip infection

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

lip infection

I don't know if I have selected the correct Topic Area here, for several weeks now I have had a couple of small rough patches on my upper lip and one on the lower lip.  They are alomost invisible to the naked eye, but I am very aware of them if I touch them with my finger or tongue. They seem to be situated nearer to where the lip joins the normal skin (ie not inside the mouth). They are only slightly sore to the touch, and mostly I don't even think about them. They have not become open sores at any time, but never seem to heal right up. I would like to know what this condition might be, whether it is transmissable, and how I might be able to treat these annoying patches successfully.
Roughness of the lip is called cheilitis, or eczema of the lip.  It is not transmissible.  Treatment consists of moisturizing and sometimes the use of mild steroid creams.  If the symptoms don't bother you, you don't have to treat it.

I would, however, suggest that you see a physician for proper diagnosis, since I can't tell for sure from your description.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff