lip infection

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

lip infection

ok... i have had a lip infection for almost 6 weeks now.. about 2 weeks ago my doctor found out that i didn't have herpes and it was a bacterial infection on my bottom left lip instead. she gave me cephalexin 500mg for 10 days.. the first week it seemed like it helped. but two days ago my sore rose to life again. My sore is releasing this yellow liquid which then becomes crusty. so i went to the doctor and she gave me a different set of pills :sulfamethoxazole. I have started this and i am praying for it to work. The doctor never cultured my sore, only took blood tests that showed i had no herpes virus in me. WHat can this be and am i taking the right medication now? i am getting a little worried here and feel my doctor is just "trying" different kinds of medisin to see if it works or not...pelase help
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.

I suggest you ask your physician if a referral to an infectious disease specialist is indicated. A culture of the discharge may be able to help guide treatment. At this point, this sounds like a bacterial infection. Its location on the lip may help delay the healing process since the lip is used when eating,drinking and also gets exposed to chemicals when one brushes the teeth etc. I suggest you avoid any hot or extremely cold beverages. As well as avoid spicy and sour food as they may only further irritate the area. Use a mild toothpaste when brushing the teeth.

Another thing to consider here is that,there may be an overlying fungal infection.

Do you have any previous infections before?

Are you diabetic?

Do you take any immunosupressants like prednisone?

my health is normally very good. i am hardly sick, and not diabetic, never had any other infections etc.
it is hard to keep it clean etc. cus everytime i eat food, my sore gets stretched and it opens. But i am doing my best, just getting sick of it and kind of worried that it might be something elsemy. my doctor gave me this new medicine and told me to come back after the treatment if it doesn't work. i just feel that doctors in this country try saving money instead of finding out what actually is wrong..
thank you