lip infection

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

lip infection

over the years i have continued to get cuts on the corners  of my lips and it becomes flaky and dry everytime a wake up.  I  have tried many lip balm but none have worked please help.
By chance do you have any problem with acid reflux? I have had problems with the corners of my mouth cracking, dry and they will be raw for years. I always assumed it was where I have acid reflux though I take meds for it. RJ

There are several possibilities that are coming in my mind.

Firstly,It can be due to vit B deficiency.Take some vitamin B complex for some days and see if your symptoms improve.
Secondly,it can be due to atopic dermatitis or eczema.Cheilitis(Inflammation of the skin on and around the lips)is often seen in atopic dermatitis.Treatment is by topical steroids or oral therapy of corticosteroids in severe cases.Topical creams like tacrolimus ointment (Protopic) and pimecrolimus cream (Elidel) are also useful.

Thirdly,it can be a contact dermatitis to lipsticks.Take some over the counter antihistaminic like benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

Avoid licking the lips as saliva evaporates quickly resulting in them being drier than before. Drink plenty of water and take multivitamin supplements and do not apply lipstick or other cosmetic products for some days. Use a humidifier to moisturize the air in your home and apply shea butter or Vaseline on your lips.You can also use a homemade ointment mixed from 1 tsp glycerine, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp castor oil. Spread on lips overnight, refrigerating the leftovers for future use. Eat foods high in calcium, magnesium and flaxseed oil. If a week of compresses and emollients don't do the trick, you can add over-the-counter 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment to your regimen.

If the condition still persists or there is deep cracking in the region of your mouth,then pls consult your doctor as it can be due to infection(Angular Cheilitis).Antibiotics are needed in such cases.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers