Dermatology Expert Forum
little flesh coloured bumps on the penis shaft?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

About two months ago I noticed 3 tiny (about the size of a pin head) flesh coloured bumps on the shaft of my penis. I had never had these before, and being a sexually active 32 year old (although I do practice safe sex), I was worried that this may be genital warts or something along those lines. I waited a few weeks to see if they would go away, or grow or increase in number but there was no change. I went to see a dermatologist but I am currently living abroad and the doctor spoke almost no English. All he was able to tell me was that in his opinion it was not genital warts as they were too small, soft and not "cluster-like". He said they were harmless and that there was no treatment and that I should only be concerned if they increase in size or number. It has been over a month since I saw this dermatologist and there has been no change at all in size or number. They are not itchy or painful. That being said, at 32 years of age, it is still distressing to have bumps appear on my penis that have never been there before. I would like to know what they might be and of course if there is any way to treat them or any hope they will go away. Thank you.
Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern because even after having safe sex by using condoms, you can get genital warts because they can transmit even if no symptoms are present. They can be transmitted from the skin not covered by condoms.

However if they have been examined by a dermatologist then there is some reassurance. Warts may be single, grouped, raised, flat, or cauliflower-shaped. They usually do not hurt. Currently, there is no HPV test recommended for men.

Genital warts are usually diagnosed by visual inspection. I agree with your dermatologist as wait and watch policy can be adopted at the moment. You should keep an eye on bumps. If you notice changes in their color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

I too thought of warts reading your description.  That is my best guess.  Keep an eye on them for changes and I hope you will return to an English-speaking country soon so you will be more confident in your medical care.  Not that doctors speaking the same language always know what they're talking about either!