Dermatology Expert Forum
locust thorns

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

locust thorns

My daughter has a locust thorn in her foot. Common to our area of the country. It is red and angry around the site, and swollen. I have soaked her foot two days in epsom salts, but it is still angry. Any ideas! Thanks.
Cindy:

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with locust thorns.  Perhaps it needs to be removed?  If it's already out, you might just apply bacitracin or neosporin ointment (OTC) 2-3 times a day after each soak.  If the redness stays local to the wound, it may take several days to fade.  If it spreads beyind the wound, you ought to see a doctor about evaluation for infection and possible use of oral antibiotics.

Best.

Dr. R