Dermatology Expert Forum
losing eyelashes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

losing eyelashes

Thanks for your previous reply. As I told you, my eyelashes have been dramatically thinning. They are very sparce now. On my lower lids, there is spots where there is only two or three very fine, short lashes. For a female, this is very upsetting. I went to a dermotologist who prescribed Tobradex ointment. He said that it would take about a year for the lashes to grow back. That didn't work. Then I went to his female associate, and she put me on 10 mg prednesone three days a week for a month. That didn't help (but my knee stopped hurting). After your  previous reply, I thought maybe the aloe vera would help so I got an eye cream that contains vitamins A, D, E and aloe vera. I haven't seen any changes yet, but do you think this will help? What else can I do?
Thanks for your help!
Lonnie:

To be frank, I don't know of any other treatments which would regrow your eyelashes.  You may need to consider applying cosmetics to mask the problem.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dr. Rockoff
Have you had your thyroid level checked?  One of the first symptoms I had was that my facial hair started to fall out.
yes, i had my thyroid tested. i am at a loss.... and pretty soon makeup will not be able to hide the lack of eyelashes. and i don't know why some doctors put me on one course of action while others indicate another, and still others say there is no relief. I just wish SOMEONE had the answer!
I read that allergies, contact allergies to eye makeup, certain drugs, and poor diet can cause eyelashes to fall out.  It recommended 50,000 IU daily of Vitamin A, 50-100 mg daily of Vitamin B complex, Vitamin B2 as directed, Vitamin B3 as directed, and 2 tbsp daily of Brewer's yeast.  It also said to gently rub castor oil, linseed oil, or vitamin E oil on your eyelashes and into your eyelids at bedtime.  It's supposed to help thicken the lashes and promote normal growth.  It didn't say how long to do this but it couldn't hurt to try.  Mine are thinning slowly, probably from makeup so I tried the vitamin E oil.  It wasn't bad but I kept forgetting to use it so I can't say whether this works or not, sorry... but I hope it works for you.  Take care.