Dermatology Expert Forum
loss of eyelashes, no regrowth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

loss of eyelashes, no regrowth
I have noticed that my eyelashes are thinning dramatically with no regrowth. I now have areas that are totally void of lashes. Is there a topical that I could use to stimulate regrowth? What about the use of Prednisone? Would that help?  There doesn't appear to be an infection.... no redness or anything.
Thanks for your anticipated reply.
Lonnie:

Though you don't say whether you have hair loss anywhere else, such as the scalp.  If you do, the eyelash loss may be part of a condition called alopecia areata.  There are other possible causes too, ranging from hormone probelms (rare) to pulling the hairs out as a nervous habit.

My suggestion: get evaluated by your internist and dermatologist.  If you have alopecia, waiting it out is best, as regrowth is expected.  Topicals don't work, and prednisone has too many side-effects for its short-lived benefit.

Best.

Dr. R