lyme disease and hives

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

lyme disease and hives

last year i got bit while playing out side with my grandson. the following morning i felt a pain in my side but was rushing to get breakfast and ready for church. while he ate happily i finally got a moment to see what was causing the pain. there he was,, in the middle of a giant bullseye, a black leg dear tic. so instead of church, we went to the walk in. they took the tick out and treated me with doxicycline.
i was fine for one month then one day i had to have my daughter come and get my sweet little fellow because i thought i had the flu. i was on the couch for aprox 6 months with the worse fatigue i cud imagine. more doxicycline. ritilin to help with the fatigue,but it made me anxious. i started to have severe panic attacks and feeling like my family thought i was crazy. my daughter kept accusing me of not listening to her because i didnt remember anything. when the fatigue lifted i couldnt even enjoy it because i was so anxious and depressed by then that i was agorphobic. i didnt want to leave my home and feared anyone comming over and seeing me like this. i cried all the tiimel mostly because i missed the fun i used to have with my little grandson. eventually my right knee swelled up and i was in unbareable pain. i could hardly walk. by now i hear murmers from my family, things like hypochondriac, crazy and needs physicitrist. i was getting so frustrated. i would try to explain to them how terrible the lyme disease was but no one seem to take it seriously. then it happend, i found another one stuck to my side one day a few months ago. i was devestated. around this time my doctor mysteriously left the practice and i was stuck with someone who had no idea what i had gone thru for the past year and a half. i felt an overwhelmed sense of panic. until...she began to talk to me about what she knew about lyme and how the symptoms (knee swelling ect) were from the first tic bite not the second. i slowly started to feel like she may be helpful. she ordered tests and i felt my depression start to lift. today...is the day i go to the church and pick up the food to deliver to families in need. when i got in the car my arm itched. i didnt pay to much attention but within 10 mins my right hand was covered with hives ? bites? by the time i got home my arms were covered with nickle dime and quarter sized hives. i had, and have no idea if this is a residual symptom of lyme disease. i called my doctor, she wasnt in but i asked if a nurse cud please call me back.the call never came. i was starting to feel my voice get horse and thats a common sign that my asthma is going to act up ( something else i didnt have until i got bit.) i thank god each day that i got the tick and my grandson did not. it was a blessing. but i am so dissappionted that there is not more information out there about how serious this disease is. and until last summer, us folk up here in ny didnt even know they had finally made there way here from PA. so , we were not being carefull and checking ourselves. it has been a life changing expirence. it has made me feel so isolated. and lonely. and at times kind of crazy. it seems to have a stigma to it the way back injurys used to. i hate to even mention that i have it for fear that eyes may roll as soon as im not looking. i am all for better awareness. our health department had no interest in knowing that i had contracted the disease. so i asked how they kept track of how many cases there were. the answer was staggering...:WE DONT"    if we want to end the was overseas...fill a few planes full of infected dear tics and let them go.....the war is over, the enemy is too sick to fight and it will be years before they can figure out why.....not nice...just making a point about how delapatating this disease is. if you have it, hang in there. your not crazy and if your family wont listen or support you.find someone or a group who will, you need the support..lyme can be very very lonely