massive clusters of hives

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

massive clusters of hives

I have just finished mowing my lawn and realised that the area under my arm pit is one massive cluster of hives. from what i can see there looks to be about 40 to 50 of them and the bulk of them are combining in the middle to make one huge hive. This sort of problem has occured numerous times over the last two - three months when ever i do anything physical (eg. lawn mowing/car washing/sweeping driveway) outside of my house. they are always in the same spots which would rule out bugs unless they know to bite the same spot everytime, and have been getting bigger everytime it happens.... please help am extremely worried and irritated right now.
Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. Many cases of hives are "idiopathic," meaning no cause is known. Others may be triggered by viral infections or medications.

The mainstay of treatment of hives is antihistamine which may be necessary for prolonged periods (in excess of 6 weeks). Take non-sedating antihistamines such as Cetirizine or Loratadine. Sedating antihistamines such as Chlorphenamine(Benadryl) is used at night to get urticaria control. Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms.
You may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment. Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement.Also apply calamine lotion on the itchy areas.

If the symptoms persist, then you can consult an immunologist. He may start with immunosuppressive drugs.

If the hives don’t go after 6 wks of treatment also, then it can be a case of chronic urticaria which needs further evaluation as it may be due to auto antibodies.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted.