Dermatology Expert Forum
molluscum nightmare

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

molluscum nightmare

Doctor,
    I am a 23 year old Male in the service. I contracted Molluscum Contagiusum over two years ago on a tour to Japan. They always tell you to where a condom, well I did, but that didn't save me from M.C.
     I have had recurring outbreaks since my initial contraction. I have done everything I can to manage them. They are mainly on my groin area and my legs however I have had new ones appear on my face.
     Since I have had an outbreak on my face life has been rather difficult. I have to shave every day. Shaving makes them multiply. I have resorted to NAIR. I have to make sure no one see me while I'm using it or I would never hear the end of it.
    In the time that I have had the disease, it was manageable. I have maintained great relationships with women without spreading the disease to them. Since they were in the groin area, I would just wear condom and keep my boxer shorts on. Sound simple but it was effective.
   Since developing M.C. in my face and specifically my lips, I have had new concerns that I feel need to be addressed. I have written down a few questions and
I hope that you can help me with them. Before we begin, I want to thank you in advance for your time.
1) Is there a treatment for M.C. lesions on the lips?
2) Can I spread M.C. to a partner through kissing? (having lesions on my lips)
3) I have had M.C. for over two years, will my body eventually mount a response and rid itself of the virus?
4) If my body mounts a response to the virus, is there a possability of me passing it down to my children in the future?
5) If I touch a lesion on one part of my body, and touch another part of my body will the virus spread to that part? What is autoinnoculation?
6) It seems that some of the lesions in the groin area do not respond to the freezing. They get smaler but do not go away, does this mean that freezing is inneffective or that the treatment needs to be stronger?

I guess I will end it here. If I have any more questions I will follow up.
Tags: molluscum contagiusm
I am skeptical that you have molluscum in all the spots you've mentioned.  No doubt you had them to start with, but by now you may be over-interpreting small skin spots like blocked follicles that aren't mollusca.  Before you make any more health and life decisions about these spots, you need to check them out by seeing a doctor with a fresh pair of eyes.

Yes.  Freezing, Aldara cream.  But I am not at all sure these are mollusca.

Possible, I guess, but again, these may not be mollusca.

Yes, mollusca go away in 12-18 months.  If they are really mollusca.

4) If my body mounts a response to the virus, is there a possibility of me passing it down to my children in the future?
No.

It's unlikely for that to happen, even if they are mollusca, which I doubt.

It may mean that they aren't mollusca.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff