more water = more pimples???!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

more water = more pimples???!

Lately I've been drinking more water to hydrate my skin better, I have very dry skin, and it is sensitive on my face. With the exception of an occasional whitehead, I have very clear skin.

About day 3 of drinking more water I'm getting pimples- pink, under-the-skin blemishes, and I can see many more waiting to explode on me. I've never gotten pimples like these, and certainly not this many at once.

I thought increasing water intake would make my skin healthier!

Are all the blemishes a result of my body flushing out toxins because of increased water intake?? Will continuing with the water (which I'm sure is a healthy habit to keep up?) produce more pimples, or will this go away if/when my body adjusts?

Thanks!
Avatar dr f tn
HI,

How are you? Pimples or acne happens when sebaceous glands are blocked and cause a buildup of oil underneath. This oil stimulates bacteria to multiply and cause surrounding tissues to become inflamed. Other factors that needs to be considered are: genetics, food, stress, hormones, cosmetics and certain medications. Increasing water intake is indeed beneficial in flushing out the toxins of the body and is not directly related with your pimple outbreaks. If it persists, you may need to have this evaluated further for proper management. It is important to keep the face clean and dry always. Take care and regards.