multiple hairs growing out of one follicle?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I'm a 29 year old male.  My question is quite simple.  Over the past six months or so, I've noticed my body hair increasing, seemingly every day.  I now have visible hair on my knuckles and mid-digital region, my toes, and the hair on my upper thighs is even getting more noticeable.  To top it off, there seems to be 2-3 hairs growing out of most follicles on my arms and legs.  Is this normal?  I went to my PC physician, and he ran tests on my thyroid and testosterone levels.  Everything came back perfectly normal.  But why then is my body hair increasing so much? This is more of a "piece of mind" thing for me now.  2-3 hairs growing from the same follicle?  Is this really all just genetics, or is there some type of underlying cause at play?  I'm a healthy, physically active guy.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Multiple hairs in a follicle may suggest pili multigemini which is also called  "compound hairs, are considered rare although there have been no studies to define the actual frequency in the general population.The name describes a condition where several separate hair fibers bunch together and emerge from the skin through a single hair canal. The hair looks like a bunch of flower stalks in a vase." Is this similar to your case?

Source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pili_multigemini

Folliculitis have been associated with conditions wherein multiple hairs grow in one hair follicle. Other conditions which may be associated with this are scarring alopecia ( when the hair on the head is involved ) and tufted hair follicles. Other underlying diseases have to be ruled out like an underlying skin condition which may be autoimmune or inflammatory by nature.

You may discuss this with your physician.
I have the same thing also. I have been closely observing my body hair for years now and on most of my legs, chest, back, shoulders, arms and so forth, I have 2-3, sometimes 4 hairs growing from a single follicle, and extremely close together. I have not observed this on my beard, only on body and scalp. I have never come across another man who has this condition. My body hair gets very long, seems to keep growing, grows back extremely quick(hours), except in two small spots; on my thumb side of my hands and on a small portion inner thighs, where normal single follicle hair growth is, and  the hair is short and finer.

Yeah, hormone tests usually come back normal and all, I have had all that done, many times I really believe now, that it is a freak genetic underlying cause and has something to do with a mutated or different gene structure Or it could be a double or triple copy of the gene that signals hair growth on the body, which is usually masked in most individuals.

My condition has been a source of embarrassment and frustration for years. I have very, very dark hair on my body, which is abnormally coarse and thick, and I also think I have over stimulation of body hair going from having excess testosterone when I was younger. I think I went through puberty earlier than most boys.

No physician I have been to has addressed this, but since they only give 5-10 min of their time and really don't listen to my concerns, I don't think I have been looked closely enough. I have no faith is Western medicine.
You should see if your dad or anyone in your family is known to have the same thing with 2-3 hairs coming out of the same follicle. I know I am not normal, compared to every other man with body hair. And yes, Folliculitis is common with this and with body hair in general; I get it all time and really have to exfoliate a lot, there are red dots that usually itch and are inflammed. I think laser hair removal is the only option to reduce the hair, but that is expensive and I doubt there are many studies that allow you to get it for free. I still am learning about this and am I trying to find anyone that has a similar condition to mine, but no luck and from all the observing and locker rooms I have been and travels. I have never found anyone with the same thing.
I am a 24 year old male and I have experienced multiple hairs (anywhere from 2 to 12) growing from the same follicle in my beard. the men in my family have always had a lot of bodyhair, but no one has mentioned this. I frequently pull out clusters of up to a dozen hairs all attached in one casing. it is quite embarrassing internally although i doubt anyone really notices. i think certain pores on my face are enlarged from acne in my adolescence and allow multiple hairs to grow through. I haven't been to a dermatologist about it, because it doesn't impact my quality of life other than an occasional itchy spot in my beard until I pull out those hairs. Hopefully the additional info might help some of us understand whats up.
Hey man I suffer the same EXACT thing you are going through.  It seems after high school the air just kept getting longer and more populated.  Then I looked at my arm and noticed that there are 2 hairs growing out of the same follicle.  I'm thinking, what is this.  With dark hair like mine it is very nitceable and embarrasing.I suffer the pain and wax it all off because I just got tired of the joking around by my peers.  It is very hard on the ego and self esteem.  I have looked also for this type of problem on th enet and can't really find any useful info on tihs topic. So...if there are any doctor's that read this thing any info would be great.  
I am a 36 year old female who has this problem as well...I was diagnosed 7 years ago with Hidradenitis Suppurativa, a disease classified as being of my sebacious bearing sweat glands, or sex glands, if you will. I am on disability and still cant get more than 10 min of a doctors time to ask about this. I usually avoid going to the dr as much as possible as someone can wih my condition. I believe there are studies going on about my HS suggesting it is a follicular disorder, as opposed to a glandular one. Apparently it is a disease most prevalent in african american s, but i am caucasian, although i do have naturally curly hair, which would probably lend support to the follicular theory. SO yeah, if you think you guys have a hard time with this...imagine being a woman and having the same problem  >.<
I have the same problem it is horrible and the fact that no one knows what it is makes it worse. Someone please help!!!!!
Aside from having multiple hairs in one follicle, I've recently noticed hair growing out of my penis-hole... it's sprouting out like flowers in a vase!  HELP!
I got 2-3 THICK hairs all over me (not my penis hole). And im losing it on my head. Its like a sick joke.
Anyway Im getting laser hair removal. Thats the good thing about being hairy, the lasers are more efficient for removing thick hair. But it does sting, im not going to lie. I had to shave my chest. It looks really odd with nothing- kind of feminine.

In terms of price it is not that expensive anymore, all these beauty places are dying for business, u got to make a deal with them. Im getting 3 sessions on my back for $360, they say u need around 6 to get rid of it totally but im not fussed if theres a little hair there. Its totally normal. Even for super models and actors, they get themselves waxed and shaved and lasered too.
I am 22 years old and have been experiencing the same problem for the last 4 years and it was rapidly getting worse. I have a pretty decent knowledge of medicine as I ran a pharmacy for 4 years so I went to my doctor and told them I wanted to take a minocycline ( a dermatological antibiotic) to slow down my growing problem of folliculitis. It worked very well along with using hibiclense wash ( antimicrobial and antiseptic cleanser) once every other week. I then decided to do my own study and stopped using both of the items and my problem cam back but not as bad as it was. I am currently taking my meds on a regular basis and doing very well hoping that in the next couple of months I will no longer have to take the medicine as I burn quickly from being in the sun. I hope this helps some of you, maybe with talking to your doctor about these options.  My father has the same problem but he just lets his happen, however I could not do that with trying to model.
Hi folks , I am also going thru the samething , I am in India , things started changing all of a sudden for me too, I started seeing unusual growth of hair on my body and condition is so worse now that I can't even walk a long distance and pick any heavy weight as it give a sudden stimulation to unusual hairgrowth on my body, I felt hair growing all over my body and those were quite long and thick , though I never had a such bad hair growth on my body ever before, however earlier I was quite healthy and was doing lot of exercise but now I am totally stopped and cant enjoy my life like other people at all I tried to serach lot on internet on my issue but never found any solutin till date , I just feel myself out of this world with unidentified disease, its very disgusting as I cant share this with any one, one intresting thing regarding 2 hair from 1 follicle is that I have seen growth of 2 hair also on those areas where I never shaved or removed my hair by any means , I believe no doctor has any solution to it and as they dont have answer to our questions they just talk anything stupid of their choice to console us , which is total nonsense , they dont have guts to say that they have no answer to this.
I am an 18 year old female, and I have the same thing in my genital area. sometime the area around the over crowded follical can get red and irritated... Help!
i am 21 year old female and have the same problem, i have sensitive skin so when i use razors or hair remover i am left with a rash that itches for about a week. if i hair remove in the evening the following morning my legs are spiky again and the day after that the hairs are almost back again so im begining to wonder if its evn worth hair removing. its so embarassing especially as a female. Its not just my legs its my whole body and there is atleast 2-3 hairs from each folicle. i am hairyier than my brother how shameful! my dad was hairy but i always put this down to him being a man.
Its weird that everyone here is so much older, I'm only 14 and I have to deal with this problem too. It *****, and gets soo annoying from everyone joking about it. Someone's GOT to know whats going on...Is it genetic? Is laser all I have to look forward to? Help.
Chiming in here.  23 years old, with the same problem of multiple hairs (mostly 2 but up to 6+) from single follicles ALL OVER MY BODY.   I literally have an Austin Powers chest.  And I look like a faun from the waist down.  The hairs are VERY black and VERY thick.  And nearly every follicle on my chest grows at least two hairs.  It has been a source of embarassment for years, making going to the pool or taking my shirt off for any reason around friends or family not really an option.  

I've recently started shaving my chest, but find I have to do it about every other day, and even then the hair is so dark that you can see it under the skin (I have fair skin) after shaving.    I am considering laser hair removal... but I don't really want to be a hairless nit, I just want LESS of it.... except on my head of course where I am losing it!  

It really IS a sick joke!
Hi... I'm wondering if everyone here put a list of their usual food and beverages intake ... and check for similarities... maybe its something we're digesting regularly is causing this problem while going unnoticed by hormone tests.... milk maybe? many cows are being fed all types of additives and hormones ... i don't know... just a thought ...  
I just found these, maybe useful: 1) Excess protien food must be avoided (Like meat, Mutton and Albumin). 2) Vitamin B12 supplements may help to reduce the intensity. 3) Increase in the fiber content of food will reduce the pili multigemini disorder. 4) Avoiding of over exposure of hair to sun radiation. 2) Reduction of usage of shampoo (with excess sodium laurylsulphite and detergent based shampoos). 5) Do not expose hair to air flow (e.g. during traveling) and UV radiation.

Found it @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pili_multigemini
Hi, I'm 18 years old, 18 and a half actually, as my birthday is VERY soon !

But I also have this OUTRAGEOUS problem of 2-3 and sometimes 5 !!! hairs growing out of one follicle.

However, I do not feel this is such a problem, as there are certain females out there who feel this is an attrative and extra-ordinary trait.

I feel we are very spectacular indeed, and I also believe that we are a group of sexual DEMONS.

Love all you follicle freaks,
love David Slattery.

Facebook me baby ;)
I've always had trouble with my legs, it seems that my calves are the only part of my body where multiple hairs grow from the same follicle. They are either coarse and thick or soft and fine and impossible to find. That, added to extremely dry skin creates bumps that get infected when i shave. As a 18 yr old female, this is more than annoying. I wish there was some way to fix this.
I am a 40yr old female and i suffer from 2-3 hairs growing out of one follicle it steadily got worse over the years. You can see it under the skin even after i have just shaved, thick coarse black hair just waiting there to grow back quickly.  I always thought i was a freak of nature, the only one in the world with this problem.  I never get a close shave no mater what kind of razor i buy. When i shave i have to use really hot water and soak for about 10min to soften up the hair a little bit, or i will get razor burn.  I noticed this problem has only gotten worse over the years.  My husband is very understanding about it, and says it does not bother him at all, but being a woman it is extra hard.  I get ingrown hairs and have to tweeze them out.  Infected hairs that leave zit like sores.  It is awful, i have never really talked to anyone, including my husband about how this affects me emotionally.  I am relieved that i am not the only one who suffers from this.  Ironically and this is not a healthy alternative but one thing i did notice was when i got a free tanning bed membership i went every day for 30 days, and when i would shave the hair seemed to come off easier and grow back slower.  But i stopped for fear of skin cancer. I would love to be able to afford to have the lazier treatments done from my ankle to my thigh.  For you men out there sorry you have this problem, for all the women out there, please know you are not alone and you are beautiful no matter what!
I am female and from my Dad's side of the family I inherited being very hairy.  I had multiple hair growth from follicles.  Investing in laser hair removal for my legs (upper and lower), forearms, underarms and full bikini and genital area was the best therapy I could ever invest in. I can't tell you how much better it made me feel.  You might consider it, expensive but worth every penny.
Hi im an 18yo male and i also have this same problem.
its been like this for almost 2 years  and havent talked to anyone about cause i didn know it was a problem. but i just went to the bathroom and saw that its now happening around my nipples and i dont see it much as a problem but more as an inconvienence to me cause i like pullin em out lol. but i started reading up and now its talkin about rapid hair growth? thats insane my family has a history of thin hair and i have extremley thick hair and it grows FAST. i shave my head and itll grow about 3 inches a month.but lately ive noticed that the back of my hands and knuckles have grown hair out of no where and on my arms going down is a mix of black and blonde and brown hairs (im naturaly blonde)ive actually noticed alot of things about my body changing and was wondering if it was like a second stage of puberty?? your advice is much needed :) thank you guys and gals
so i am an 18 year old male with this same problem is mostly resides in the leg area. from the tops of my toes all the way up to about the top of the croch is where it stops. i was looking at all the hairs and noticed that almost every single leg hair had another hair growing in the same follicle... now you can imagine how hairy my legs look and yes its bad... i also have random long black hairs growing on the back on my arms .. i dont know if i do have this or maybe im just a hairy guy it would be nice to know one way or another.
Hi,, im 16 and the same thing is happening to me but its happening to my pubes and I think it is from shaving to early,, because i did'nt have any problems befor i shaved,, but then i did, and i noticed red inflamed spots (not an STD im a virgin still) and then 2-3 hairs in one follicle.. someone help!!!??? if you have any tips on how to make it stop or go away email me at:
***@****
Thankyou
I have the multiple hair/one follicle problem in my bikini area.  Shaving always left my skin irritated, red and bumpy.  Then I got LASER HAIR REMOVAL (at a dermatologist's office).  OMG, this is the best thing ever invented!!!!!  It works best on people with pale skin and dark hair.  I had 2-3 treatments, enough to make grooming less irritating and more manageable.  Let's just say it's easier to mow the grass in a backyard as opposed to a football field.  haha  (I've noticed the website Groupon will intermittently feature specials for discounts on laser hair removal.)  Seriously, it will be the best thing you ever did.  
Hi im 17 and i sort of have the same thing, there looks like a hole where multiple hairs are growing out of, but multiple pili mi.. what ever it is, sometimes this is in pain and all the hairs are dead!
I am a 28 yr old female. I first noticed what i thought was a thick hair on my chest, I pulled at it and it easily came out..with further examination I realized it was made up of 12 hairs. since then I started getting more and its started growing around my waistline as well. I have my fair share of a few dark hairs but these multiple hairs are light and some are quite long too. I cant wear low cleavage tops because I'm afraid someone will see the fuzziness on my chest.  oddly enough they're not hard to pull out but I dont wanna sit there all day pulling hair off my body. I do feel like a freak. I just wanna get rid of this problem!!!
bummer they always say puberty stops at your 20s but honestly we all keep growing well into our 30s, sounds like you developed pili multigemini. it ***** i have it too. your options are either sit there and pluck hairs out of your body all day, or find a dermatologist you trust and get laser hair removal.
SORRY if this is a late reply! :/

I thought it was just me im glad i found this

I have this same problem :( I'm a 14 year old female and its sooo embarassing.
my main problem is my legs (My arms arent that bad for a few weeks after shaving)
I have waxed, shaved and used hair removal cream on my legs but within a day there is already visible signs of them growing back!
They arent thick hairs but i can actually see most of the hairs hav 2 or 3 growing out of the same follicle.
At first i thought maybe shaving my legs caused them to grow multiples, but even now when i dont they still grow back quicker than i can get rid of them!
Its so embarassing :( esp when i hav to get changed 4 pe infront of ppl :(
Help!
Is lazer the only treatment that can get rid of them? :( (It was a tad embarassin to say it on here, but u guys have the same problem so its not that bad :/)
thanks x
Hey guys and gals, I'm a 29 yr old male from Wisconsin.  I too have 2 or more hairs growing out of a single follicle.  My feet have coarser dark hair, my legs have fine light brown colored hair, my groin area is like a medium coarseness and a little lighter than my legs.  From the waist area the front of my stomach to my chest is all dark coarse hair again.  My back is bare in the middle but on the sides it's dark and coarse.  My facial hair is actually kind of weird, a ton (and I mean a TON) of  people actually compliment me on it ever since I was around 17 or so.  The hair on my face has multiple colors, different kinds of coarseness...but if I let it grow longer than 1/8 or so, it gets SUPER SOFT!  I have no idea why, I shave my cheeks and sideburns as well as under my jaw, and I leave around my lips, down the side of my mouth to my chin with hair.  People love it so I keep it, plus I have a baby face but anyway...The places I get multiple hairs growing out of the same follicle is where the dark coarse hair grows.  My lower arm is soft light brown with "normal" hair growth but my upper arm is dark coarse hair that grows sometimes with 2-5 hair out of the same follicle.

It's kind of weird thinking about it over the years.  I've always felt kind of embarrassed by it, but at the same time I didn't even really care lol.  Oh well best of luck to all of you and however you deal with it.

Edward316
Omg I have the sane could it be genetic I'm romanian and not African American but idk what's going on I'm in grade 11 and I've noticed this already someone plz help me figure out what to do it's got me really embarrassed :(
I too have the follicle thing going on.  I'll be 40 this year and have noticed it for the last 10 or so years.  I have never been "conventionally" hairy, nor have the males in my family.  I had a hard time growing facial hair until my 30s.  Now when it grows in, it's more sparse than a normal beard.  But like ohiojones, I have pulled out follicles with as many as a dozen hairs in one cluster.  But like Edward316, my facial hair has different colors and coarseness.  The worst are little, porcupine quill-like, hairs that grow.  They range in color from Jet Black to Red to Translucent (creepy).  Only the quills are painful.  But I've noticed that the coarseness of a single hair can vary as well, sometime bent or broken in the middle of the strand.  some of the hairs will have split ends, some partially break and curl.  I find that all of this ***** because as I'm trying to grow a beard, I will simultaneously pick at my beard creating more "clear-cut" spots on my face.  Definitely does not help my beard coming in sparsely to begin with.  But to me, the really weird thing is the growth pattern can be ANY variation of what I've described.  I have "tracked" the follicles on my face.  Sometimes quills, sometimes multiples, sometimes normal.  No consistency.  Completely random, seemingly.  Is it tied to diet?
Just wanted to chime in.  Has anyone gotten any answers to this yet?  

I'm so glad to have found someone with the same condition! I so have very dark and unusually thick hair. I'm only 19 but I've been living with this since the age of 14. I understand exactly how it feels.

I also wake up every morning to find that my leg hair is malting yet it never gets thinner, it just carries on growing. I don't understand why this is happening and it really gets to me when I'm in a position where other males of my age that have never little and light body hair.

I don't think it's genetic as my father doesn't have the same issues.

It can be a very very depressing issue for me and it's gotten to the point where i haven't be swimming for over 5 years or even worn shorts since then either. Every time I go outside I feel the need to wear clothing that covers my arms, a vest so as not to draw attention to body hair on my torso and thick stuffy jeans even in the heat of summer.
I'm a woman, and I noticed this condition several years ago.  I'm a tree inspector, and I notice the same thing has been going on with certain types of trees, in the form of "witches' brooms."  Witches' brooms are a situation where there are too many branches growing out of a node.  From what I gather, it may be caused by exposure to biodiesel fumes, when the biofuel is made from crops that are genetically modified to be "RoundUp ready," which means that when they spray the RoundUp/glyphosate herbicide, it kills everything but the crop that the biofuel is made from.  This to me means that there is herbicide residue/trace in/on all of the biofuels (most, if not all, of the soy and corn is GM'd to be RoundUp resistant) that are the source material for these fuels, which means that many living things are being exposed to this herbicide, whether through the fumes, or by drinking water that has traces of this in it (probably not a stretch to imagine that the herbicide makes its way into storm sewers, and surface and ground water).  I believe that the witches' brooms are the tree's way of producing more foliage, in order to off-gas the toxins.  Only certain trees, such as birch, white oak, and hackberry, seem to be able to do this; other types of trees that are not able to do this, such as maples, ash trees, cottonwoods, elms, and red/pin oaks, the herbicide is killing.  It does not appear to happen overnight.  It may take a few years--these trees look like it's fall when it isn't fall yet.  Glyphosate is also a hormone disruptor.  I believe that it may also be responsible for the increase in childhood autism (I wish that someone would do a study of the numbers of children with autism that ride school busses, as the ones in our state use biodiesel), and it may be that it has a greater effect on men and boys.  The biofuels should be tested for herbicide residue, in my opinion, but I don't know how to do this, and am not a chemist.  I now close the fresh air vent in my car if I'm behind a bus, semi-truck, or vehicle that I can tell is using biodiesel.  Unfortunately, I live in a state where it is mandated that a certain percentage of all fuel must contain ethanol, so this fuel is also used in chainsaws, boat motors, and lawn mowers.  Also, the food that is made from these crops, if it is not from certified organic, non-GMO soy, corn, wheat, and now sugar beets, probably has trace of the herbicide as well.  Just a theory, but if correct, what can be done?  We must find something that neutralizes the herbicide, or obtain these things from crops that are not "dependent" on herbicides for their growing cycle.  It is pervasive--no wonder we're unwell, fat, and hairier than we should be.
Hey.im 18 years old boy and i have too many hairs on armpits and also in chest at this age.my friends are not having this.is this a hormonical change or anything other?please tell im in big problem.
hi mate am 17 year old lad i have the same problem i started to get chest hair when i was 15 since then it has done nothing but sprout hair i wish i had the answer
I am now 33 and from India, we all have been facing this problem but one truth is that none of us has a solution , I had a strange problem which made my life quite miserable , I really wish I can find the answer to this that why its happening , I had this issue from the age of 22 and found that there was an unusual things started happening , which I believe no one has ever faced....I found that due to getting exposed to very hot weather and working continously and over exercising even in adverse situation, I got strange way of hair growing ....now what i am facing is that even if I pick weight or walk for longer distance or get exposed to heat... hair start growing from my face and body , and they grow in the direction of scales on my body .I can clearly see at the back of may neck and at the top of back...and first these sacles get prominent and then long hair start coming from them, same is on my face , though these hair are not thick and are very light  and thin but they are quite long and noticable...I also found that after stopping the gym...my body started loosing itself and hair started growing all over my body and they are light in texture but are long and also I can clearly see two hair growing from single follicle.I am not sure are we all facing same kind of problem...or I am totaly out of the world with this kinda emabarassing issue , which has quite ruined my social life.
h1 am 22 years old i all hairy for my chest down to my manhood istarted to get pubes and armpit hair at12 happy trail and chest hair at 14 to 15
I'm a 21 year old female with this same problem and I assure you there are tons more girls out there with this goin on as well. I COMPLETELY concur with femalsuferer. I am half african american and so my hair is very curly, thick and coarse. Actually most people have this condition at least at one time or another. This may sound weird to most men but tweezing OR waxing may be the solution although at this point I want to give and simply not care anymore. (Side note: seeings how I've been waxing, tweezing and plucking for Years waxing is less painful and altogether quicker.) I have not been to anyone for this because I figured it would go in one ear and out the other and yes ultimatly laser hair removal will be thee ONLY permenant solution at the moment but it still is very expesive. Lucky for you males out there having some hair grow back isn't a problem unlike with your female counter parts.
I have to agree that laser hair removal is the greatest investment for me. I was a really hairy female (Middle Eastern genes) and I hardly have any hair left now. I went from shaving every day, with horrible razor bumps and dark follicles, to shaving the few hairs once a week. I used to be so depressed about this and would rarely show any skin, but now I am happy and my quality of life has greatly improved. I probably would have killed myself by now if laser hair removal was not available.

I really suggest that most people spend their money on LHR because it is the only effective treatment and I tried everything on the market. You have to find a cheap spa with a good laser. After doing some research, I found a really affordable place with one of the best lasers that only charges a fraction of what other places are charging. It has changed my life completely. Now you cant get me to cover up enough :)
We are all just getting old'er'. When i turned 30, i grew 8 hairs on my chest. Every year since then i grow a few more. It probably has something to do with the incorporation of neandertals 10,000 years ago.
I did some research (after all I am a researcher PhD) and my conclusion is, that having *some* hair follicles that produce 2-3 hairs is quite common and normal. Beards and body hair seem more affected (for males) than the scalp. Most of the time this condition is not problematic and does not lead to folliculitis. I expect a lot of men out there do not realize that they have these 2-3 multi hair follicles either because they don't care enough to closely watch their body hair or because they don't let their beards grow. Pili multigemini on the other hands is even more hair coming out of one follicle as e.g. 5-15 hairs. This comes with a higher risk of folliculitis and is a rare condition compared to the 2-3 hair case. It has been observed in animals too and is clearly a mood of nature but nothing too freaky. The aesthetic and thus psychosocial impact on humans can be serious though. For you people with inflammations and constant painful bumps: Consider to see a dermatologist and consider permanent removal of the problematic follicles. For everyone else: Shave it off, or let it grow and most of all don't be embarassed, it's nature too!
It feels so nice reading about people I can relate to, especially the females. I am one too, it's extremely shameful having not only hair all over my body more than one of my brothers but having that multiple hair follicle thingy (mostly 2 but up to four) unattractive. Since hairiness is disgusting on girls I have to shave...mhmh! everyday if I paid atten tion to the spikes, but because of it I have a bunch of dark spots for each of those multiple follicles when I already had bad skin (I've been told). It has taken a toll at my self-esteem, FUN AIN'T IT!!!
Many Ppl with the problem like me but no one givin any answers
Some Answers:
My dermatologist and GP told me that the multiple hairs are common and normal.  More then 3 is unusual and often becomes overcrowded and infected (folliculitis).  Often they squeeze out like a zit or tweeze out easily.  Antibiotics will help if it's like a rash.  You can tell that it's normal folliculitis if the red dots are at the base of hairs.  Time to go to your dermatologist.  It's usually caused by ingrown hairs and/or bacteria trapped in the pore or follicle in sweaty, warm areas including chest, shoulders, face, abs, pits, etc.  If you can remain sweat free and cool all the time, you don't need the antibiotic assistance, it will clear up on its own.  But since no one can do that...

As we age, males and females continue to grow hair over more and more of our bodies.  For some people that happens quickly and they look like bears by the time they're 25.  Others, like me, (now 47) have been watching the hair spread and thicken over our entire bodies for the last 35 years.  It's mostly testosterone and genes for men and women.  The horrible irony is that the more test you produce, the more hair you have and will have everywhere but your head.  

So, it's totally normal to have hair patterns change and expand throughout life for men and women.  It's determined by hormones and genetics and can get out of control causing many hairs in one follicle, red bumps and rash-like areas.  Antibiotics, meticulous hygiene, and laser hair removal are most often recommended.  

Also, AVOID waxing, especially large areas!  Three friends have been hospitalized due to a ferocious systemic staph infection brought on by all the red bumps on their backs, legs, and chests.  TENS OF THOUSANDS of them like zits where the hairs were ripped from the follicles.  No matter how much the salons say they'll disinfect, it's impossible to eliminate all the bacteria.  It's not worth the risk of getting a staph infection which could be resistant to antibiotics or of the flesh-eating variety.  

Hope this helps...
Ian
Happily Hairy Muscle
I have noticed the same thing on my body hair, but not my head (unfortunately). I started to notice it after I began to trim my body hair. Maybe the trimming results in some sort of response to provide more nutrients for hair growth and in turn causing the development of multiple hairs. That is just thought I had after noticing it occur after trimming. Anyways I would suggest males who dont have too much hair on their body to just suck it up and live with it, or else you might turn back into an ape.
wow i have what u have the same red dots itching, 4 hairs in hair canals it hasnt reached my beard but everywhere else. so they could grow to my beard?
i have the same problem is that why ur on dissability? mine usually gets bad and is followed up by a staph infection
30 y/o male.  I've noticed this for the last few years, but I think it's been with me most of my life. 2-3 hairs out of almost any pore on chest, legs, and back.  Glad to know im not alone!

Funny thing is, my arms and legs are very hairy, but there is NOTHING from my wrists down to my finger tips, except for some finer hairs on my knuckes.  Toes it's the same thing.  Fur trousers town to about the sock level, then nothing except like one hair on my big toe!  

WTF!! lol!  I don't get it. God must have a sense of humor when he made us. :-D  

I guess I feel a little insecure about it (taking off shirt and stuff), I would feel less so if I wasn't married to the hottest woman in the world who thinks im pretty great.

Facts about me for comparison purposes, in order of which I think might be most relevant:
- took ACUTANE for a few years in my early teens (anti-acne drug, SEVERE known strange side-effects)
- Had meat with almost every meal growning up (recently became vegan, no relation to this.  haha. yay irony!)
- English / Dutch / German descent that I know of
- Pretty smart. (Maybe it's the price I pay for my big brain. and wiener.) :-)
- Did ride the schoolbus for 2 years in highschool
- Drank TONS of soda during middle school/ high school. Primarily Mountain Dew.

I think I am pretty smart (doesn't everyone?).  My dad was supposedly hairy... had chemo, lost all his body hair so I can't compare there.  Need to ask my brothers to see if they have the same issue.  ACUTANE could be a big one.  Recently became a vegan (no relation to this), so I'll see how animal protein consumption affects the condition.

Regardless, it's good to know you are not alone. :-)  You are just special.  Every human being on planet earth has SOMETHING they feel insecure about.  Maybe this little thing is ours?
One other thing that may help.  I just checked my beard (on mah FACE!) and I do have some of the triple hairs growing there.  I use a Mach3 razor to shave with, and then I immeditely wash my face with "Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser".  NOT the cetaphil daily facial cleanser.  The GENERIC BRAND DOES NOT WORK.  

That has made the BIGGEST difference with any acne/ingrown hair issues.  I now get NONE.  ZERO.  Not in many, many years.  My wife no longer gets acne either when she regularly washes with the cetaphil.  I hope that little bit of info helps someone outthere! :-)
I enjoy plucking the 10 or so hairs from 1 hair hole and I like investigating them afterwards by crushing them apart
hi  I have the same problem like the other before 2 or more hairs groing from the same follicle but..... I am afraid there is a but i have some  inflammations they look like they are some teenager pimples.
But I have those only on my legs in about a day to 3 days they dissaper I have tried antibiotics for about a month it was ok for a period of time but after that it came back now i still have the same problem maybe someone had the same thing to let me know or somebody can tell me somthing how I can get rid of the inflammations
Hi when I was young I had dental overcrowding and now this multi hair thing. I just wonder if they are related and if so what is the gene that has malfunctioned and is it responsible for any other problems?
I am a female also, i have not experienced any problem whatsoever. This is something you may want to consult a doctor about. I have the same problem in my genital area and my underarms. I am pretty sure you just have some ingrown hairs, but i am not accurate!
Hope this helps!