DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
multiple hairs growing out of one follicle?
by ireland107, Jun 09, 2008
I'm a 29 year old male.  My question is quite simple.  Over the past six months or so, I've noticed my body hair increasing, seemingly every day.  I now have visible hair on my knuckles and mid-digital region, my toes, and the hair on my upper thighs is even getting more noticeable.  To top it off, there seems to be 2-3 hairs growing out of most follicles on my arms and legs.  Is this normal?  I went to my PC physician, and he ran tests on my thyroid and testosterone levels.  Everything came back perfectly normal.  But why then is my body hair increasing so much? This is more of a "piece of mind" thing for me now.  2-3 hairs growing from the same follicle?  Is this really all just genetics, or is there some type of underlying cause at play?  I'm a healthy, physically active guy.
Member Comments (55)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Vanessa LacuestaBlank, Jun 09, 2008

Multiple hairs in a follicle may suggest pili multigemini which is also called  "compound hairs, are considered rare although there have been no studies to define the actual frequency in the general population.The name describes a condition where several separate hair fibers bunch together and emerge from the skin through a single hair canal. The hair looks like a bunch of flower stalks in a vase." Is this similar to your case?

Source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pili_multigemini

Folliculitis have been associated with conditions wherein multiple hairs grow in one hair follicle. Other conditions which may be associated with this are scarring alopecia ( when the hair on the head is involved ) and tufted hair follicles. Other underlying diseases have to be ruled out like an underlying skin condition which may be autoimmune or inflammatory by nature.

You may discuss this with your physician.
by MutantX, Dec 05, 2008
I have the same thing also. I have been closely observing my body hair for years now and on most of my legs, chest, back, shoulders, arms and so forth, I have 2-3, sometimes 4 hairs growing from a single follicle, and extremely close together. I have not observed this on my beard, only on body and scalp. I have never come across another man who has this condition. My body hair gets very long, seems to keep growing, grows back extremely quick(hours), except in two small spots; on my thumb side of my hands and on a small portion inner thighs, where normal single follicle hair growth is, and  the hair is short and finer.

Yeah, hormone tests usually come back normal and all, I have had all that done, many times I really believe now, that it is a freak genetic underlying cause and has something to do with a mutated or different gene structure Or it could be a double or triple copy of the gene that signals hair growth on the body, which is usually masked in most individuals.

My condition has been a source of embarrassment and frustration for years. I have very, very dark hair on my body, which is abnormally coarse and thick, and I also think I have over stimulation of body hair going from having excess testosterone when I was younger. I think I went through puberty earlier than most boys.

No physician I have been to has addressed this, but since they only give 5-10 min of their time and really don't listen to my concerns, I don't think I have been looked closely enough. I have no faith is Western medicine.
You should see if your dad or anyone in your family is known to have the same thing with 2-3 hairs coming out of the same follicle. I know I am not normal, compared to every other man with body hair. And yes, Folliculitis is common with this and with body hair in general; I get it all time and really have to exfoliate a lot, there are red dots that usually itch and are inflammed. I think laser hair removal is the only option to reduce the hair, but that is expensive and I doubt there are many studies that allow you to get it for free. I still am learning about this and am I trying to find anyone that has a similar condition to mine, but no luck and from all the observing and locker rooms I have been and travels. I have never found anyone with the same thing.
by ohiojones, Oct 19, 2009
I am a 24 year old male and I have experienced multiple hairs (anywhere from 2 to 12) growing from the same follicle in my beard. the men in my family have always had a lot of bodyhair, but no one has mentioned this. I frequently pull out clusters of up to a dozen hairs all attached in one casing. it is quite embarrassing internally although i doubt anyone really notices. i think certain pores on my face are enlarged from acne in my adolescence and allow multiple hairs to grow through. I haven't been to a dermatologist about it, because it doesn't impact my quality of life other than an occasional itchy spot in my beard until I pull out those hairs. Hopefully the additional info might help some of us understand whats up.
by mickatmad, Dec 07, 2009
Hey man I suffer the same EXACT thing you are going through.  It seems after high school the air just kept getting longer and more populated.  Then I looked at my arm and noticed that there are 2 hairs growing out of the same follicle.  I'm thinking, what is this.  With dark hair like mine it is very nitceable and embarrasing.I suffer the pain and wax it all off because I just got tired of the joking around by my peers.  It is very hard on the ego and self esteem.  I have looked also for this type of problem on th enet and can't really find any useful info on tihs topic. So...if there are any doctor's that read this thing any info would be great.  
by Femalesufferer, Dec 17, 2009
I am a 36 year old female who has this problem as well...I was diagnosed 7 years ago with Hidradenitis Suppurativa, a disease classified as being of my sebacious bearing sweat glands, or sex glands, if you will. I am on disability and still cant get more than 10 min of a doctors time to ask about this. I usually avoid going to the dr as much as possible as someone can wih my condition. I believe there are studies going on about my HS suggesting it is a follicular disorder, as opposed to a glandular one. Apparently it is a disease most prevalent in african american s, but i am caucasian, although i do have naturally curly hair, which would probably lend support to the follicular theory. SO yeah, if you think you guys have a hard time with this...imagine being a woman and having the same problem  >.<
by hackmcgee, Jan 12, 2010
I have the same problem it is horrible and the fact that no one knows what it is makes it worse. Someone please help!!!!!
by Moe6, Feb 05, 2010
Aside from having multiple hairs in one follicle, I've recently noticed hair growing out of my penis-hole... it's sprouting out like flowers in a vase!  HELP!
by Arkay84, Feb 16, 2010
I got 2-3 THICK hairs all over me (not my penis hole). And im losing it on my head. Its like a sick joke.
Anyway Im getting laser hair removal. Thats the good thing about being hairy, the lasers are more efficient for removing thick hair. But it does sting, im not going to lie. I had to shave my chest. It looks really odd with nothing- kind of feminine.

In terms of price it is not that expensive anymore, all these beauty places are dying for business, u got to make a deal with them. Im getting 3 sessions on my back for $360, they say u need around 6 to get rid of it totally but im not fussed if theres a little hair there. Its totally normal. Even for super models and actors, they get themselves waxed and shaved and lasered too.
by weitanyun, Apr 13, 2010
I am 22 years old and have been experiencing the same problem for the last 4 years and it was rapidly getting worse. I have a pretty decent knowledge of medicine as I ran a pharmacy for 4 years so I went to my doctor and told them I wanted to take a minocycline ( a dermatological antibiotic) to slow down my growing problem of folliculitis. It worked very well along with using hibiclense wash ( antimicrobial and antiseptic cleanser) once every other week. I then decided to do my own study and stopped using both of the items and my problem cam back but not as bad as it was. I am currently taking my meds on a regular basis and doing very well hoping that in the next couple of months I will no longer have to take the medicine as I burn quickly from being in the sun. I hope this helps some of you, maybe with talking to your doctor about these options.  My father has the same problem but he just lets his happen, however I could not do that with trying to model.