multiplying hard bumps scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

multiplying hard bumps scalp

I am currently 32 years old and have recently noticed that the bumps on my scalp seem to be multiplying. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about them or not.  I originally started getting the bumps on my head 8 years ago, I never really paid much attention to them.  They don't seem to hurt.  But in the last year, I've noticed they have spread to various parts of my head and some of them seem to be growing in size.  They are hard and vary in size. The largest one is about the size of an smartie.  Would anyone be able to tell me what they might be related to and what they can be caused by? Are there any particular symptoms that I should be looking for?

This discussion is related to Hard bumps on scalp.
These bumps can be due to cysts or acne keloidalis nuchae.  Acne keloidalis nuchae occurs when hairs on the back of the head and neck grow into the skin, become inflamed, and cause scar tissue.

Treatment of AKN includes suppression of the inflammation with antibiotics and steroid gels or intralesional steroid injections. So apply antibiotic cream like Neosporin or bactroban. If the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics and steroids may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.