neck lesions

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

neck lesions

For about 8 months I have had these 'lesions' crop up on my neck and chest. The pattern follows exactly where the collar of a V-neck shirt falls. They used to come and go, but now they are always there. They look like mosquito bites but they are tender and red and seem like slight infections. Sometimes they come to a teeny little head that is indented like the top of a volcano. But mostly they just raise up, hurt, and subside about 7-10 days later---leaving a reddish mark. I have eliminated all external variables---perfume, detergent, shampoo, soap, lotions, etc. They always come back and I can't find a rhyme or reason. It seems that this is the area of my body that sweats a lot at night (I'm 45) A dermatologist game me hydrocortisone cream and topical clindamycin. Not working. At all. She next wants to do a biopsy. That seems odd to me that you would biopsy something that is inflamed. Any thoughts on this. Once I had to go on antibiotics for a tooth infection and I swear they went away for awhile.
From your symptoms it looks like infected hair follicles and boils. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. Hair follicles that are blocked by greasy creams, petroleum jelly, or similar products are more vulnerable to infection.

Apply warm compresses on the boil and keep the area clean. Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head. Till then apply some topical antibiotics like Neosporin or Mupirocin. Take some over the counter pain reliever and consult a doctor for examination and antibiotics prescription. If there are recurrent boils, then please get your blood sugar levels estimated.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.