non itchy "rash" on face, redness, red pores, occasional flak...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

non itchy "rash" on face, redness, red pores, occasional flaking

Hello, I've seen a dermatologist about a skin condition that I have on my face, but they could not figure out what it was. It did not fit into any categories of skin conditions like acne, rosacea, etc. They tried many oral and topical medications but nothing worked.

Here are some links to pictures,
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/9291/dsc00854vm5.jpg
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2770/dsc00859hd4.jpg

It's not itchy, it looks like my pores are red and irritated, there are also raised red dots. Redness increases if I get too hot or if my face is touched (like when i wash my face or put lotion on). Cetaphil is the only lotion I can use that does not irritate it, and if I don't keep it moisturized it becomes flakey. The "rash" is only on my face, mainly on my nose, cheeks, and the middle of my forehead just above my nose.

I have had times where the skin around my eyes became extremely dry, flakey, and painful, and anything except Cetaphil lotion caused great stinging.

About 5 years ago I accidentally washed my face with dish soap (Dawn) and it caused a painful red reaction, and I've had this condition ever since.

What do you think this could be? Also, do you think a lazer peel would help it? Thank you so much!
a laser will probably not do much. did they do an allergy test? as in a skin patch test? did your doctor check to see if it was maybe sebborheic dermatitis? it sounds like a dermatitis. you may have developed an allergy, but i am thinking more along the lines of an eczema type disorder. have they checked for that stuff?
also have you been tested for discoid lupus erythematosus aka lupus? it can create a red rash and enlarged pores.
Hi 3r2x3,

I have the exact same skin condition -- and it has gotten much worse in the past couple of days! In fact, mine is much worse than the pictures you have posted. Did you ever figure out what the problem is? If so, I would love to know. Thanks...
My symptoms are similar to yours, r3r3x3.

Over a month ago, a small red rash appeared on my cheek. It didn't itch or anything, just red (small red bumps...) I made the mistake of shaving over it and it spread to another area of my cheek. That was over a month ago. Today (12/15), the rash is still there  (same exact spot) and has covered more of my right cheek. A small spot has appeared on my left cheek as well as a small spot on my forehead. None on my nose, though.

I ordered a product off the internet and will report back once I receive it with details on how (or if) it worked.

If anyone else has had success on getting rid of this, please comment, as I'd appreciate it greatly!
It seems as if I have the same symptoms as described above.

At first it was just on one cheek. I tried using hydrocortisone, and that seemed to have helped (maybe it was a placebo effect, where I wanted to believe it was working). But within a few weeks the other cheek had it too. Now I have rashes above my brows and on my temples.

It's pretty embarrassing when the rash are at their worst; really red and really noticeable.

The odd thing is that, I was backpacking in Europe for almost a month, and the rash subsided to the point where I thought it was no longer a concern. But I came home a couple of days ago (Southern California), and yesterday the rashes came back in full force, in all parts of my face.
This is a follow up...

Well, the product I ordered helped a *little* at first, but then the rash came back in full force... I kind of stopped using it, but may try again in the future....

I still have the rash on both cheeks -- my left cheek is still the same (a small spot) while my right cheek is much worse. The spot on my forehead has gotten slightly larger, but not bad. It's also spread near my temple area and I see some slight bumps on my nose (which may or may not be the rash...not sure -- I guess I'll know in a few weeks or so if the bumps are still there??)

I'm going to try drinking strictly water for the next few weeks, to see if that helps (like scorpaznatica, my rash started to subside, until I started drinking soda..) -- I also notice the rash is much worse If I get little sleep...so, I'll see if I can get more sleep.

Hi guys, I'm interested in this as I too am suffering from a rash across my face. I've had it roughly 6 years now and have been through good and bad days - it was originally diagnosed as ezcema (eczema) and then rosacea but treatments for both did nothing and time went on.

I kept a food diary for a little time and started finding that things that contain citric acid seem to make it a whole lot worse but it would appear to follow on about a day after eating.

I'm currently avoiding all citric acid foods and things are really much much better - its depressing though that citric acid in is SO much of our everyday food and drinks. I would be interested to hear back if cutting citric acid from your own diets helps the situation as I think this is far more common then people realise.

I thought I'd include this link which I found really helpfull as a starting point:

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/monitoringandsurveillance/nuttab2006/onlineversionintroduction/onlineversion.cfm?&action=nutrientFoods&nutrientID=CITRIC

ive had red blemishes under my mouth for some time now, often they flare up and become really noticable, any ideas to clear them
I've developed the same thing round my nose (not the inflamed pores but the bumps and the flaking), not as pronounced as the pictures in the link, but it seems to be getting worse -  now it seems to be spreading to my cheeks.. I have quite a few bumps in the general vicinity of my left cheek, and my right cheek has developed a few spots.  Also if i don't moisturise it it becomes red and flaky and irritated and is pretty sore

I have recently (the last week) been washing it religiously everyday to get rid of impurities (with a cleansing milk as i fear something harsher will make it worse) and then applying stacks of bio - oil to it.  I've found a lot of relief through this, and in the morning there is a huge improvement.  Unfortunately i need to wear make up to work (mainly to cover the darn rash) and that seems to aggravate it - also i can't apply bio oil during the day becuase of the make up and because i can't really walk around all day looking like i had a run in with an oil slick :).. but it really does seem to help it.. so i'll perservere - and hopefully give it a good dose on the weekend (where no one can see me looking awfuil)

I've also noticed its fine in the morning till i touch the area and wash it, making me think that perhaps its an allergy?

I've recently got a new kitten in the house (and obviously i won't get rid of the cat).. anyone else here have pets?

I've had the same problem for about two years.  I first noticed it after I'd eaten canned tomatoes at lunch and then tomato-based sauce on pasta that same day.  I went as red as a beet around my chin, nose, cheekbones, upper-lip and between my eyes).

I also experience blurred vision, quite severely at times.  Currently I'm trying to avoid all citric acid, though this is very difficult as it seems to be in many foods.  I'll skip the obvious (lemons etc.) and look for it on food labels.  I've noticed that at least one brand of root-beer (my favorite) contains this (darn it!).

Until I can get to the root cause, I'll keep using my own cocktail of 50/50 hydrocortisone cream and antihystamine (dyphenhydramine) which reduces the redness substantially.

I'll keep you posted about the citric-acid experiment!

Nate
This could be an irritant Contact dermatitis that you have developed.Contact dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin caused by direct contact with an irritating or allergy-causing substance (irritant or allergen).

Irritant dermatitis, the most common type of contact dermatitis, involves inflammation resulting from contact with acids, alkaline materials such as soaps and detergents, solvents, or other chemicals. The reaction usually resembles a burn.
The initial incident with the dishwasher soap may have sensitized your skin or you might have an allergic predisposition and this is just a coincidence.

Topical corticosteroid medications may reduce inflammation. Carefully adhere to instructions when using topical steroids because overuse of these medications, even low-strength over-the-counter topical steroids, may cause a troublesome skin condition.
You can also try metronidazole gel/lotion to help a possible Roseacea condition.
ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/adam1000869

It's looking like my problem IS citric acid.  I've now stopped using Cetaphil cream which is supposed to be hypo-allergenic.

LOTS of foods have citric acid ADDED, and of course LOTS of fruit has this in naturally.

I'm sticking to non-spicy foods and ALWAYS checking packaged-food labels for ANYTHING with 'CITR' in it (sodium CITRate as an example).
All of these stories sound like mine. I am allergic to citric acid. I have been for 15 years.  I get a rash around my mouth usually, but it can go other places on my face. It really comes out when I eat things like tomatoes, oranges, etc. But other things you wouldnt think of also bring it on. FYI citric acid is used in SO many things here... I believe its ued as a preservitive for many foods. Maybe thats why when you were in Europe, scorpaznatica, it subsided for a while. Not sure what you were eating there, but Im guessing it wasnt as preserved as here in the states. Soda  contains it, as well as tons of soaps, detergents, makeups, chapsticks... etc. A good website for anyone interested is:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~vclarke/citric.html

Good luck!
~Purple 15
HI!!! I am so glad i got to see pictures of what you were describing. When I was younger, I had some breakouts and was real upset about them. However, as I got older, they became less and less. Now I have an occassional pimple but what really really bugs me is this red rash I seem to have all over my face, more prominent on my cheeks. I notice that whenever the weather changes from cool to hot and from hot to cool, my face becomes really bad. I know its not acne because there are no pimples. I get asked alot why my face is so red but I do not have the answer to that!!! It really hurts me because I feel ugly and whatnot but the red patches are smooth, yet slightly raised. Flaking does generally occur. Currently i use dove moisturizer and thats it! Face washes only aggravate the situation!!
Thank goodness ive found this site, ive the same symptoms to the extreme, i have been drinking cups of whole squeezed lemon every day to avoid catching swine-flu and wearing makeup to cover the reactions.  The situation is really getting me down but now i feel like i have the answer THANK YOU PEOPLE!!!  I am confident that if i cut out citrus, CITR etc that things will start looking up (challenging as it sounds). :D
Im not sure what my rash is either. I have small pimple like, red spots on my face. Only in a patch on the left side of my face. I changed my make up and started using cetaphil soap and it seems to help a little. The other bolgs have been helpful , Thank you!
I am relieved to know I am not alone with this horrible affliction. I woke up less than a week ago with my whole right cheek covered in red bumps. Then the next morning they were also on my left cheek. They have since moved on to my forhead. I went to my dermatologist who proscribed a very acid-like lotion to put on at night; but I don't think it's helping. She thinks I have some kind of allergive eczema, but I don't think so as the lotion is not working and I have had eczema before and it was itchy and didn't look like this. This rash is not itchy, but burns most of the time like a sunburn. I did eat some homemade tomato sauce the day before I first got it so maybe it's the citric acid. So I will try to avoid it from now on. I don't know what else (if anything) I eat or have eaten that has it, but now, at least, I can start looking out for it and hope for help. I have never had such an unsightly problem before and I am more than a little depressed about it.
My husband has the same problem, it at first we thought it was just a heat rash, then I thought maybe he had really dry skin but it's only on some spots on his face really really dry and flaky spots, I tried putting coco butter on it and it works but only for a few days, it's become much worse and we don't have any form of health care for him so some answers would be nice.
I also have a citric acid allergy, which manifests as a bright red, pimply rash on my cheeks and around my mouth. It usually appears 1-2 hours after ingesting food containing citric acid or using products (lotion, shampoo, etc) containing it. Even liquid hand soap (good luck finding one that doesn't contain it).

I went to an allergist to confirm the allergy, but my allergist said there currently is no allergy test for for citric acid or most other non-natural food additives/preservatives (manufactured citric acid is not the same as the natural citric acid found in citrus fruits). He tested me for several fruits that I usually have a reaction to (lemons, oranges, tomatoes, strawberries) and all came back negative for allergies in both the scratch and blood tests. But one interesting thing I have learned is that most produce in the supermaket is washed/sprayed with a solution containing citric acid as a preservative, which explains the reaction.

I use Cetaphil as a facial cleanser and when the rash is bad I use A+D ointment on it to moisturize the skin and minimize flaking. Benadryl seems to help a little to reduce redness. Nothing else seems to help except avoiding citric acid altogether. I've had this for about 7 years, and the reaction has only gotten worse with time.
FOUND SOMETHING THAT WORKS!! hey guys! i too have been suffering from the flakey skin on the nose, between the eye brows, and chin fold. it was pretty mild when i lived i louisiana with only a persistent blemish constantly between the eyebrows;however, since moving to utah i have woken up with giant red rashes on the side of the nostrils. Concealer irritates it, so there have been many a day i have sat in my apt and cried over the stupid mess (this is not an exaggeration, my outbreaks are horrible). finally after the cortisone creams and topically steroids that thinned my skin i went to another doctor who prescribed three things: elidel cream 1% which has been the most amazing cream ive ever used (though i had to pay 350$ for a 100g tube), an anti inflammatory pill that makes the redness go completely away within 30min-1hr, and a RX anti fungal lotion ( ciclopirox olamine topical suspension usp .77% 85$). these things together have given me the GREATEST skin ive ever had. my skin is looks even better than normal with the combination of all three. you have to apply the lotion and cream twice a say put they are absorbed into the skin VERY fast. for the pill, you have to take it with food or else youll throw up..i learned that the hard way. anyway.. talk to your doctor about it, this worked for me
Hey guys,

I have exactly the same condition and just realised my BODY WASH has CITRIC ACID in it, its a lynx (axe) bodywash called "Instinct"

Will cut it out and see how we go! Shall let you all know!

Cheers for the idea guys!!!
Have you noticed your symptoms disappear after cutting out citric acid? on that note, do the members of the older posts suffer any more redness and red bumps after reducing citric acid? I recently developed a red rash on the left side of my face, between my nose and mouth, consisting of non itchy small red bumps that seems to be spreading. Thinking of cutting out citric acid but would like some input from others who have had success!
Hey, no i havent, I have a feeling now it must be a tinea faciei (tinea of the face) due to the shedding of the skin and the rash has become circular plus my immune system is low and have suffered from general body tinea and still do.

the only times i've had the shedding stop was when using nizoral 2% cream on the area, try that and see if it works :)
Many or you seem to be spending a great deal of money on topical lotions to help with the problem which is very sad since these are only band-aiding the problem!  

Anything that shows up on the skin is a reflection of what is going on, on the inside and how we fuel our bodies.  Skin problems are a reflection of allergies and intolerances to substances and foods we put into our body - this may be inherited or not.

Dairy is a common allergen but yeast is just as big a problem.  Cutting out all yeast-containing and yeast-feeding foods will do your insides, your skin and your confidence the world of good.  Not at all easy when this cuts out nearly all forms of carbohydrates including fruits.  Sugars even natural sugars are a big no no as is alcohol.  Following the anti-candida diet is the best option.  Also increasing your good fats is essential for healthy skin.

Expensive anti-fungal creams are trying to kill the fungus (yeast) that you are constantly feeding with the foods we eat.  So it's a useless battle really.

I also have this skin rash and have many digestive problems so I know the score on how hard it is.  

Good luck fellow skin sufferers!
From a Nutritionist.
I have an almost hive like rash on or just above my eyebrows and on my temple.  I have had small ones on my cheeks just below my eyes.  They rarely itch, and seem to throb in hot weather or when I am exercising etc.   I've been told before that it is a fungus and it seems to only happen durring the summer... when the citric foods are ripe? Maybe.  I am going to try - no citric foods and no yeast.  

PS. I do smoke, but didn't last summer... no rash.  Not sure if other factors applied.  If anyone has something similar I'd appreciate the help.
I have developed red rashes only on my cheeks and not anywhere else (nose, forehead and chin) from the past 6 months , doctor has done patch tests and found no reaction . Doctor has concluded that when patch tests found no reaction, it must be rosacea . He has given me metrogel to apply, applying this cream increased redness and rashes of my cheeks . and I stopped it currently . Moreover rashes are not itchy and inflammatory at all. Rashes comes and goes when slight temperature change happens . In the past someone from homeopathy suggested me to use napkin cloth to rinse my face , after that I could see slight rashes began on cheeks . I am still unable to understand if it is really a rosacea or washing cloth allergy . Please help me out.
I have suffered with this problem for about 7 years now. And I can let you all know, there is nothing on the market other then Hydrocortizone cream, which I have found which reduces the redness, HOWEVER, there is a down fall to using this product. After while, it begins to dry out your skin. It gets to the point where you can literally run your nails across your face and fill them with dead skin.

This does not get any easier to deal with in time. Anything that heatens your tempature, or when ever ANYTHING touches your skin, it gets worse. Times if high heat are horrible as well. I have found that no doctor knows how to handle what this is. It is not a form of acne, or rescesa, or anything that I have tried recently.

Another thing that I am currently testing is Selson Blue Medicated. OH! And Burts Bees with Willow Bark to wash, then some Hydrocortizone cream to take away the red, and then some of the Burts Bees Lotion to finish it up. Talk about alot to take care of your face.

This may be associated with the dead skin behind my ears, I have heard many say that they also had the dead skin behind the ears they could literally peal off long before the rash appears.

I hope this helps. I really do, and if any one finds out what this is, please let me know.

You can reach me at my email ***@****
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share a few of my experiences with this condition.
I live in a tropical climate where there is very high humidity - and in this environment I never have a problem. However, often when I travel somewhere else, I start to suffer from redness and dryness in the form of elevated 'scratch-looking' patches on my nose and the skin around my nose.

In terms of the problem developing, I have found that air-travel is absolutely the worst - it seems to bring the symptoms on, as well as making them worse if I already have them. Also, being indoors all day, and being in air-conditioned rooms or cars all day can make things worse. Alcohol also has a big effect in worsening the condition.
As soon as I go back to my usual lifestyle of being in the sun and surfing in the ocean, the problem completely clears up within 2 days - 3 at most.

So for me, sun (UV rays) is definitely a cure, as well as exercise that encourages perspiration (of course, directly after exercise the area becomes more red, but this in just short-term). I have tried allergy pills (hayfever tablets) which definitely help with the appearance, and Hydrocortisone cream 1%, which also helps. For the dryness, I use Aqueous Cream BP, which I couldn't find in the US, but is readily available in the UK, Australia and NZ. It's also really cheap.

I think that I can definitely say that the condition is closely related to psychological stress (for me at least). In stressful times, it comes on. Perhaps this is a result of a weakened immune system.

And of course, it is something that I become very self conscience about, and therefore the more I think about having it, the worse it becomes. But I can tell everyone that nobody notices it as much as you do yourself. And they definitely don't care about it as much as you do.

I haven't seen any problems with foods, except spicy food. And although alcohol makes the problem worse when I have it, I often drink a lot and never have a problem, so I think as long as the symptoms aren't there, alcohol doesn't have an effect.

Usually for me, episodes of this condition last between 3-7 days, being at it's worst on about day 3-4.

So for a natural cure from symptoms, I would suggest sun, exercise and humidity.
And of course, a positive outlook: It will get better, just hang in there!
I sympathize with all of you.  Here are things you may wish to try:
Ivermectin for red flaky rash on the face.  Ivermectin worked for me.  I went to a farm "Supply" sore and bought a tube of it used for horses and applied it topically to my face once every three days for a month.  It worked for me.   Other people have had good results with hand sanitizer applied topically.  Worked for me but was not a permanent cure. You my wish to try an antifungal like a athlete foot cream or a vaginal cream for yeast infections, has worked for some people, just depends what is causing the inflamation (inflammation).  Other people have had good results with a "blue" dandruff shampoo. Sulfer, (the yellow garden powder) works for others.  I tried all of the above and every prescription, but my permanent cure was the Ivermectin.  In my case, it was some sort of insect infecting the skin. And yes, I had just gotten a cat with very flaky skin and I am positive that's where the skin rash came from.   Keep trying until you find what works for you.  Hope this helps someone.
Hi everyone, I have too had this same problem.. I've been to 3 doctors and 1 dermatologist and each one has said its something different.. I've heard Rosacea, Eczema, Contact Dermatitis, Broken Capillaries, Cradle Cap... and a few others..

It started as a small rash on my left cheek under my eye... I didnt think much of it.. Then it progressed slowly to my left temple and I noticed a small red patch starting on my right cheek as it did on my left..

Ive had it for just over a year now since I noticed the first red patch on my left cheek.. And now the red rash is on my cheeks and my temples more so on the left side of my face.. I wouldnt call it an extreme red rash but it is noticible somedays being worse then others. It looks just like the orignal posters pictures but its not really on my nose. Non itchy, but I do notice it being a little flaky at times.

I've tried Hydrocortisone 1%, Verdeso, Loprox 1%, All natural Cortisone Cream, Vitamin K (drops on red areas), Vitamin E oil, and a few others...
Nothing seemed to really work.. Ive been doing research and looking online for answers and this seems like the first site I have found with people with the similar problem.

I'm going to try cutting back on the citric acids and I hope we can get an update from someone who has tried this? Did it clear it up completely?

Im a 24 year old Male, Active, No allergies that I know of, No past medical history.. Never have got many zits or pimples, face seemed normal and clear before this started.
I have basically the same thing but on nasolabial folds for 3 years now :(
A dermatologist said it was Sebhorrheic Dermatitis, but I'm not totally sure. It doesn't really flake or itch that much.
I initially used to get sunburnt there when I was younger. It is worse with heat and touching it and seems to be really unpredictable flares.
don't know of any allergies or how I was so unfortunate to get this ? :(
Hi all,

I too, have been dealing with a sort of "cheek" rash. I have now had this condition for roughly 3 years. I'm 26 years old, have never really had any acne or other obvious skin issues of the face until this randomly began to present itself. It doesn't itch, or really do anything. Sometimes it can appear flaky. My skin has just seemed to get worse because I mess with it so much trying different regimens to treat it. It is very frustrating. I have been seen by several top dermatologists and an allergist. NO ONE seems to be able to diagnose me. I tried a myriad of creams, moisturizing, washing etc and nothing seems to make any difference. The rash is ONLY on my cheeks and jawline area up to near my temples. Totally symmetrical. It has completely spared my nose, chin, forehead and mouth area. It's so odd. I just wish I could figure out what it is and get my skin and face back...PLEASE HELP. Here is a photo.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/danigood23/Photoon2013-10-01at1237_zps68b2c19e.jpg
Hi. My 6yr old daughter has a recurring, non itchy rash on her cheeks. Have any of you found anything that helps. She does eat lots of fruit. Could it be the citric acid? She has been to the doctors 4 times since May and had 2 courses of antibiotics. It has cleared up with the antibiotics but then come back a few days later.